changing the gun laws and putting armed guards in schools.

And start talking about...Proper Gun Storage!

You want gun control, it starts in the home...

Tru dat.

We also need to start talking about adolescent discipline and how using gaming systems and TV to babysit your kids while your lover from across the country watches you finger bang yourself on Skype, is just not a healthy alternative!

• Like 5
Tru dat.

We also need to start talking about adolescent discipline and how using gaming systems and TV to babysit your kids while your lover from across the country watches you finger bang yourself on Skype, is just not a healthy alternative!

Mullet Man: Our opinions on hairstyle may differ but I'm glad you brought up the plague of permissive parenting. I myself am battling this in my own house. I share a home with my girlfriend and her child who is almost 7. She does not discipline him to the point were people not related step in and do so. She is more of a friend too her child than she is a parent and it shows in the child's out-of-control behavior. This child is growing up with no healthy consistant boundaries. I can't imagine how he'll be when he's in his teens. It's made me re-evaluate how I store my handgun and added a twist to the problem with a soon added S-12.

A week before the Newtown shooting I checked a book out of the library called, "The Epidemic: The Rot of American Culture, Absentee and Permissive Parenting, and the Resultant Plague of Joyless, Selfish Children," by Robert Shaw, M.D.." In it he explains this "new parenting style" which began in the 70's and links it to the behavior of Eric Harris & Dylan Klebold, the Columbine shooters.

Gentlemen, If this sounds familiar to anyone here's a link to permissive parenting. This link lead me to reading the book which lead me to calling out all the bullshit going on in the house. My piece/peace of this epidemic is to be determined...

http://psychology.about.com/od/childcare/f/permissive-parenting.htm

Edited by HighPlainsDrifter
  • Like 1

Do yourself a favor, dont hook up with chicks with kids. Its just extra baggage.

Secondly, if you are going to live together for more than 6 month just go ahead and get married, but dont forget the prenup. In most states even if you arent married, but live together, she still could take you for a cleaning by "common law".

Better to just have it in writing before you learn a lesson the hard way.

• Like 1

I have one at the ready, one near by. No way can my kid get to them. They are always at the ready to the adult of the home and hidden. The kid is unable to explore around and find out where they are.

We have a little plastic toy gun that we use as a rubber ducky. Anytime my kid sees it, they run to mom or dad and get our attention. They show us where it is and say "deers uh gunnn". We give praise and safely put the plastic pistol away. My kid is getting close to 3.

We have taken our child with us shooting. They stay in the car away from the noise and see what the guns can do to different types of targets. Even with the plastic gun they know that the muzzle is never to be pointed at the dog or mom and dad.

As our kid gets older, they will be able to shoot the firearms they have learned to respect and will see what they are capable of. As soon as they can be left at home alone they will have access to a shotgun to protect themselves from bears and tweakers, Montana's most common dangers.

My parents were really good at teaching us how to respect firearms, shoot them, clean them and collect them. I hope to do a good job of keeping my kids safe and enabling them to defend themselves from criminals and oppression.

• Like 4
Secondly, if you are going to live together for more than 6 month just go ahead and get married, but dont forget the prenup. In most states even if you arent married, but live together, she still could take you for a cleaning by "common law".

Point taken, but there's no common law in Alaska. Just slightly more common sense...

And when it comes to fanapt, medicating children to offset the unpleasantness created by not properly parenting them is also covered in the book. When I first met this child he exhibited ADD like behaviors; not focusing, incapable of sitting still, not listening or following directions. Over time what I've come to learn is that he isn't psychologically troubled, he just hasn't had anyone in his life hold him to these expectations. When he's with me he for the most part is a well behaved child. That goes all to hell as soon as his mother walks in the door.

• Like 2

HPD is right, as are all of us. The ridiculous behavior of even the mom of the shooter in CT comes immediately to mind. Why in the hell would she, knowing her son was unstable, in fact, planning to move to another state and to put her son in mental health treatment, allow her son such access to the gun, as well ammo, at the same time, in an environment where he could actually get that ammo into the gun and shoot someone (her!).

I do not think there should be restrictions on gun ownership, save for criminal and mentally ill, but I really think general training on gun storage, transport, and use, and who not let touch your guns, is essential for these morons.

• Like 1

I have a 3 year old, he already knows not to touch the "boomsticks" (we use that term so when he starts school he doesn't get in trouble for saying "gun".) Proper storage for us is on my hip, on the wife's hip, in the safe or in the bedside biometric lock boxes. Other than a full spare mag in each night stand ammo is under lock and key in a steel "Job Box." We don't buy into "permissive parenting" either.

• Like 1

Point taken, but there's no common law in Alaska. Just slightly more common sense...

And when it comes to fanapt, medicating children to offset the unpleasantness created by not properly parenting them is also covered in the book. When I first met this child he exhibited ADD like behaviors; not focusing, incapable of sitting still, not listening or following directions. Over time what I've come to learn is that he isn't psychologically troubled, he just hasn't had anyone in his life hold him to these expectations. When he's with me he for the most part is a well behaved child. That goes all to hell as soon as his mother walks in the door.

Im just messing with you man. lol you know the whole topic just had that "lets all talk about whatever vibe".cool.png

I agree, parenting is failing in this country.

My brother also was with a woman and helped raise her child that wasnt his. She too was a poor judge when it came to punishing and parenting, but refused to let him or anyone step in to help.

Edited by Chevyman097
I have a 3 year old, he already knows not to touch the "boomsticks" (we use that term so when he starts school he doesn't get in trouble for saying "gun".) Proper storage for us is on my hip, on the wife's hip, in the safe or in the bedside biometric lock boxes. Other than a full spare mag in each night stand ammo is under lock and key in a steel "Job Box." We don't buy into "permissive parenting" either.

I am in a similar situation. My five-year old knows that she should never touch the gun, and definately goes out of her way to avoid any gun-related equipment. I never leave it laying outside my direct supervision, but she even avoids the gun-cleaning rods, etc. My two year old is still too young to even allow in the same room as my equipment. All of my equipment and ammunition is locked up in safes.

When they get old enough, and if they are able to be trusted, I will teach them safe handling and storage, and transport of firearms, but I will still not let them have access to my safe's combination until the hormones have all settled and they are responsible and trustable adults.

• Like 1

We went against the norm and practiced responsible parenting. I doubt that our kid sees us as friends, but does see us as good parents with good boundaries and is very well behaved. She is 8 and we had her out with the the .22 and she did really well. She knows not to touch anything at all unless we are there and say it is ok. We just got our safe (big heavy b@stard) but the defensive weapons are always within arms reach. In the liberal mindset, we should probably be punished somehow though...

Edited by jwulf

Funny thing is, I remember when I was a kid. My parents had me so scared to go near the guns, they didnt have to worry, and they only had gun storage and display case, and the key was openly kept on a shelf nearby. They knew and I knew I would never touch it without permission and reason.

I grew up without a father, and I had a .410 shotgun in my bedroom clothset for hunting, which I did a lot of. It never entered my mind to use it for anything else,.......... except one night while we were sleeping, the sperm doner came into the house and tried to attack my mother, the dog ran him into the hallway, and business end of the .410 ran his ass out the door. I wasn't the greatest kid one could wish to have, but I never even thought of doing some of the shit these kids do today. I ran the woods.

• Like 3

Yeah no shit. Imagine that. No video games when I was a lad. I had them, but wasnt wrapped up in them like these kids now. I spent more time catching frogs and turtles than I ever did playing a video game. Children now days are soft, and have been conditioned. I spent my childhood outdoors with a 10/22 and a slingshot with me almost everywhere, and built forts in the trees with hammer n nails. Its sad to see so many kids now missing out on so much cool shit. They dont seem to have an imagination anymore.

Casey Anthony deserves to die!

While this may be true, how is it relevant to the OP? Just curious....

Um, maybe because of that roll of "assault" duct tape she used in her particular crime? :unsure:

You know, the one where you can tape three hundred young kids mouths and noses shut before having to pop in a new roll? :rolleyes:

Growing up, my old man, like many others had the guns in an unlocked glass doored gun cabinet for all to view. He would kick the living shit outta me and my friends when I grew up. He knew I feared him way more than God Almighty, so he never even had to bring up the subject of "don't play with guns".

Everyone needs to remember mothers are for nurturing children teaching kindes and love, they ALL need a FATHER to teach them respect and discipline. To instill self confidence and values that they just cant get from a women. No disprespect to women they have their roll we men cant fill it either. The problem in this country is too many single parent homes and too many men that do not spend the time with the kids either because they work too much or just dont care. If you are a father do your kids a favor and read wild at heart by John Eldridge, raising a modern day knight is another one (dont remember the author).

• Like 1

I guess I'm old....

I was shooting a gun by the time I was old enough to hold one. I was never allowed to touch them or play with them when home alone, however, they were always handy and

left loaded. Part of learning to shoot was learning to unload, clean, load, and place back in holsters or cases. When I was about 12 , I became pretty good at quick drawing...lol.

so much for the "don't touch or play with them" rule.

My children knew exactly what guns are and how they are used. They knew what they do when aimed and fired at deer, elk, birds, rabbits, etc.

I had revolvers loaded in the house until they were old enough to almost pull the trigger.

I had semi's until they could almost chamber a round.

Then for awhile, eveything was locked up or carried until they were trusted as being young adults.

Both kids have no real interest in guns laying around the house, but they know how check and clear anything they run across.

Now we are doing the same with grandkids.

As far as I know, this has gone on in my family since black powder muskets were the assault weapons.

I hope there are no new laws about gun storage, because it is different for each family.

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike especially when young, how to use them." (Richard Henry Lee, 1788, Initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights

• Like 2
Everyone needs to remember mothers are for nurturing children teaching kindes and love, they ALL need a FATHER to teach them respect and discipline. To instill self confidence and values that they just cant get from a women. No disprespect to women they have their roll we men cant fill it either. The problem in this country is too many single parent homes and too many men that do not spend the time with the kids either because they work too much or just dont care. If you are a father do your kids a favor and read wild at heart by John Eldridge, raising a modern day knight is another one (dont remember the author).

I also challenge encourage all fathers reading this thread to watch the movie Courageous. Some will write it off because it is a christian based drama, but if you are religious or not, this show is a must watch for all fathers!

Link to trailer...

How about recognizing someone in the family "isn't right in the head" and limiting dangerous things from them to include edged weapons, flammable liquids, and motor vehicles?

I grew up in a household full of firearms. Back then, my Dad kept some of them in one of those decorative glass from gun cabinets in which the key was hanging from an antler from a deer mount next to it. I owned my own firearms since the age of 11 or 12 and they were kept on an equally unsecure wooden "gun rack" in my bedroom. I initially had a .410 and .22lr btw. If I needed or wanted more than that, I had permission to grab something from Dad's stuff. We were constantly taught firearms safety throughout our upbringing. He always kept a 1911 and a shotty in his bedroom (still does) ready to use and us three kids always knew they were "hot". My brother and I used to come home from school, grab whatever firearm we needed and went hunting whether it be, Grouse, Deer, or Rabbit. I'm sure access was limited when we were all toddlers, probably because the gun cabinet key was up high on that antler. We turned out just fine, he is a SWAT Officer and I am a Combat Veteran with 20+ years of service. Neither of us went on a rampage to kill innocents because we were exposed to too much "gun culture".

My own kids were limited access to firearms until they proved themselves to be responsible with them. They have both witnessed at an early age, what firearms do to targets like big game. Both of them have seen more range time on select fire weapons than some Military folks see in a career, definitely more range time in a years time than most Active Duty guys do when they are not deployed bringing the fight to the bad guys. Are they tainted and ready to go out on a demented killing spree? I don't think so. My oldest is now a Night Stalker in the 160th SOAR, the youngest is graduating this year and Military bound for sure whether Enlisted or Commisioned. They were both brought up in a Military household and are going to be part of the Military's future. I can accredit most of their upbringing to their mother however, as I was deployed a majority of my time in. (We are still married and still retain a proud and strong Military household).

Certain events happen and everyone jumps to conclusions about bans, confiscations, security measures, etc. Proper gun storage isn't the be all and end all solution either IMO. Maybe people should raise their fucking children to be decent human beings and recognize if somebody isn't all there, then lock up the guns and don't let them run with scissors in the house. Sorry about the rant, I lock my weapons up to prevent theft but my loved ones still have access so they can defend themselves.

24732014.jpg

• Like 4
Certain events happen and everyone jumps to conclusions about bans, confiscations, security measures, etc. Proper gun storage isn't the be all and end all solution either IMO. Maybe people should raise their fucking children to be decent human beings and recognize if somebody isn't all there, then lock up the guns and don't let them run with scissors in the house. Sorry about the rant, I lock my weapons up to prevent theft but my loved ones still have access so they can defend themselves.

No derail here! Everything you said is pretty much on par. Unfortunately the problem is multilayered. If there was one easy end all solution we would have figured it out by now...

. Maybe people should raise their fucking children to be decent human beings and recognize if somebody isn't all there, then lock up the guns and don't let them run with scissors in the house.

I feel this is the most important factor over any of the other things.

. don't let them run with scissors in the house.

I feel this is the most important factor over any of the other things.

If we know there is something not right with them I think the real fix is give them the scissors.

Clean the gene pool out man, hand them those scissors and tell them to run circles. Eventually they will trip! make sure they have their socks on!

Ok, I feel obligated to say im kidding folks! just kidding, that was sick.

Edited by Chevyman097
  • Like 1