Ok I have been offered a trade for a FN FAL Paratrooper for my Bushmaster AR. Both are in great shape and are lightly used. Should I do this trade? Mags and ammo will be part of it on both sides, but I know ARs have skyrocketed in price, but it seems the FAL has only gone up a little bit. The Bushy is 5.56, A2 M4 profiled barrel.

Thoughts? Concerns?

Yeah, do it! Just make sure you don't know the guy so when the prices drop on his AR, he comes back bitching and complaining that he wants his FAL back. It's a hell of a trade. I would suggest you both go out together and shoot them to see if they both properly function and hold a nice group.

Good luck! Get some photos and let us know how it went!

Don't know if he likes search and rescue dogs, and he may be from east Orlando but he's my good friend's uncle. I think he knows his stuff so I would imagine the trade would even out (I.e. more ammo from my side or something like that)

Edited by socom688

Update on the trade. It is not a paratrooper version, but a Sturmgewehr 58 clone using a demilled Argentinian kit and a DSA receiver with Sturm forend and other parts. It has the heavy barrel, grenade launcher flash suppressor and a bipod. It is the top one in the pic below (it is the TOP rifle):
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h315/navalseal101/image_zpsae4d4173.jpg

I trust the owner of the gun as I would many members on here. He paid top dollar to a local reputable gun smith for assembly and the rifle actually belonged to my friend's father before he gave it to his brother, my friend's uncle. He's one of those guys who if says it runs like a sewing machine, you take his word for it. That being, I won't actually seal the deal until I have it in my hands and have inspected it personally, but what do you guys still think?

BTW anyone know why my / paste isn't being allowed to post? I would have just posted the pic instead of sending a link

Edited by socom688
Update on the trade. It is not a paratrooper version, but a Sturmgewehr 58 clone using a demilled Argentinian kit and a DSA receiver with Sturm forfend and other parts. It has the heavy barrel, grenade launcher flash suppressor and a bipod. It is the top one in the pic below (it is the TOP rifle): I trust the owner of the gun as I would many members on here. He paid top dollar to a local reputable gun smith for assembly and the rifle actually belonged to my friend's father before he gave it to his brother, my friend's uncle. He's one of those guys who if says it runs like a sewing machine, you take his word for it. That being, I won't actually seal the deal until I have it in my hands and have inspected it personally, but what do you guys still think?
In that case, no. If you still want it, go shoot 100 rounds of various ammo in lots of 20 in different mags. Note the grouping and rest the rifle every 20. I would pass.

photos?

Update on the trade. It is not a paratrooper version, but a Sturmgewehr 58 clone using a demilled Argentinian kit and a DSA receiver with Sturm forfend and other parts. It has the heavy barrel, grenade launcher flash suppressor and a bipod. It is the top one in the pic below (it is the TOP rifle):I trust the owner of the gun as I would many members on here. He paid top dollar to a local reputable gun smith for assembly and the rifle actually belonged to my friend's father before he gave it to his brother, my friend's uncle. He's one of those guys who if says it runs like a sewing machine, you take his word for it.That being, I won't actually seal the deal until I have it in my hands and have inspected it personally, but what do you guys still think?

DO NOT DO IT.

If it was a straight STG 58 It would be a tough call, thats a great rifle with Austrian parts and barrel and worth between $1000-$1200. He has a parts kit STG 58, blah. Keep your AR 15 man trust me

Update on the trade. It is not a paratrooper version, but a Sturmgewehr 58 clone using a demilled Argentinian kit and a DSA receiver with Sturm forfend and other parts. It has the heavy barrel, grenade launcher flash suppressor and a bipod. It is the top one in the pic below (it is the TOP rifle): I trust the owner of the gun as I would many members on here. He paid top dollar to a local reputable gun smith for assembly and the rifle actually belonged to my friend's father before he gave it to his brother, my friend's uncle. He's one of those guys who if says it runs like a sewing machine, you take his word for it. That being, I won't actually seal the deal until I have it in my hands and have inspected it personally, but what do you guys still think?
In that case, no. If you still want it, go shoot 100 rounds of various ammo in lots of 20 in different mags. Note the grouping and rest the rifle every 20. I would pass.

photos?

Hmm I was hoping I would hear "yeah still go for it". If it helps consideration, I do have a PSA AR with 1:7 twist barrel and some other goodies I plan to keep, so I would still have another AR.

Update on the trade. It is not a paratrooper version, but a Sturmgewehr 58 clone using a demilled Argentinian kit and a DSA receiver with Sturm forfend and other parts. It has the heavy barrel, grenade launcher flash suppressor and a bipod. It is the top one in the pic below (it is the TOP rifle):I trust the owner of the gun as I would many members on here. He paid top dollar to a local reputable gun smith for assembly and the rifle actually belonged to my friend's father before he gave it to his brother, my friend's uncle. He's one of those guys who if says it runs like a sewing machine, you take his word for it.That being, I won't actually seal the deal until I have it in my hands and have inspected it personally, but what do you guys still think?

DO NOT DO IT.

If it was a straight STG 58 It would be a tough call, thats a great rifle with Austrian parts and barrel and worth between $1000-$1200. He has a parts kit STG 58, blah. Keep your AR 15 man trust me

Shit. I was starting to really like the idea of a .308 monster unhappy.gif . I need to talk directly to this guy, to see if it is exactly what my buddy said it is.

find someonewho is really into that rifle and bring them with you if you really want it. the ar just keeps jumping in price so you may be better off just selling for cash and buying a quality fal. do shoot it first with multiple types of 7.62 thats available to you.

personally, i think its silly to trade a fal for an ar so it must e a piece o crap...

good luck

I have a DSA STG 58 and love it. That being said, you need some hard info on that FAL. Who built it? Original Steyr parts (Austrian) for the barrel, fore end etc., or is it a FrakenFAL with various different parts assembled into a rifle? How many rounds through it? Barrel condition?

Argie parts can make a good rifle, but something seems a little fishy to me about this one...Shoot it before you make ANY decision....

Ok great info guys. This trade is starting to wear on me. My buddy is being a damn flake about it. He did say its not time sensitive from his Uncle's end, and it is still up for a trade, but I would like for it to happen before I turn 100. Also I keep seeing how much the AR is worth, and I really believe I could get a complete DSA that I KNOW is 100% legit without having to worry. I'll keep this updated but damn its trying my patience.