15_u918634_0_JamesWesleyRawles_HowToSurv I have a bunch of survival books I bought many yeas ago from Loompanics. Before the internet, actually. Some of those books would probably put a guy on the "list" big brother has. Lots of good survival books as well. The gun show that comes around here has a guy every year that carries a very nice selection of them.

One book I have in particular is a good read with a ton of good info. One suggestion I would make is get some books on native edibles for your area, and books on bushcraft, trap setting and snaring, shelter making, land navigation, first aid, security, ect...

Sometimes you can hit a gold nugget at thrift stores for some of these books for 50 cents to a buck.

• Like 2

While on the topic, I would love to hear about any basic guides for an introduction to hunting. No one in my family hunts so I never learned, but would like to.

I like guns for the sport and machinery enough to invest in them. So, I already have the hardware. May as well learn to hunt with them!

While on the topic, I would love to hear about any basic guides for an introduction to hunting. No one in my family hunts so I never learned, but would like to.

I like guns for the sport and machinery enough to invest in them. So, I already have the hardware. May as well learn to hunt with them!

Stay tuned, my favorite coffee man. The way everything's been going, I think many of us will have one hell of an introduction to hunting!

Pocket Constitution (Text from the U.S. Bicentennial Commission Edition)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0880801441/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00

The U.S. Military Pocket Survival Guide: Plus Evasion & Recovery

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1599214873/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

Camp Life in the Woods and the Tricks of Trapping

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1585744824/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00

Edible Wild Plants: Wild Foods From Dirt To Plate

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1423601505/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Basic Butchering of Livestock & Game

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0882663917/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i02

Hunting:

1. Find an animal that looks tasty

2. Kill it.

That's hunting -- basically

• Like 3

I noticed nobody referenced these, but here are two of my favorites...

buscraft usa - you have a dig a little, but I've learned so much from this site.

stevespages - good stuff. all free (well technically our tax dollars paid for all of it). donate to the man instead of paying Barnes and Noble $25 for FM 12-76

And then for light reading, my grandmother made me read this book growing up. Here's a blurb on the Fox Fire series:

"In the late 1960's, Eliot Wigginton and his students created the magazine Foxfire in an effort to record and preserve the traditional folk culture of the Southern Appalachians. This is the original book compilation of Foxfire material which introduces Aunt Arie and her contemporaries and includes log cabin building, hog dressing, snake lore, mountain crafts and food, and "other affairs of plain living."

funny stuff Odd & FFF. I've got the point at something and shoot it down pretty well, it's the skinning and "best practices" that I lack. Even if I don't NEED the skills, I feel like I missing out on the "free" meat all the dear hunters around here are collecting. This fall I paid $400 for a 1/4 cow that wasn't worth $40.

Just added a couple of those books to my amazon cart. Websites are great, but not when the power is out for a month!

Thanks!

• Like 1
Why waste money on (non-fiction) books? I have complete faith in our government taking care of us.

HA! You got ur OBAMA PHONE TOO!???

Why, yes. Yes I do. I suppose I should thank you instead of the prez though.

Thank you.

Preparing, planting, managing, stalking, waiting, freezing, suffering, hearing, calling, seeing, killing, tracking, carrying, and field dressing wild game is one of the greatest and most intimate things you will ever experience in your life.

I thought you were talking about dating women until you got to the part about "field dressing". Of course you still may well be talking about dating....

Thanks for all of the suggested reading. I bought some of the books mentioned here. Looks like very good material. Also looked up some info on the web. I am already using some of my new skills. My daughter and I snarred a rabbit today.

• Like 2