Not as good as Pauly's or Cobra's but....

Well, progress has been made. Here is my first attempt in polishing & profiling my carrier and bolt. Not as good as the professionals, but not bad for a newbie. Just wanted to say thanks to all the forum members that posted threads helping me do this. Not knowing when I joined what a great tool this forum is. For all you newbie DYI's, research in this forum is KEY. Also attached are the only tools I used. Anyway, Thankspost-45976-0-91247700-1357339489.pngpost-45976-0-56821000-1357339542.pngpost-45976-0-97308000-1357339945.pngpost-45976-0-31201400-1357339986.pngpost-45976-0-42902600-1357340051.pngpost-45976-0-21353800-1357340407.png

post-45976-0-85226700-1357339857.png

• Like 5

Good job.

As long as you followed the wisdom of those mentioned in profiling the bolt, you should be good to go.

It looks good to me, real nice and shiny, and like it should be slicker than a wet pussy.

• Like 1
Good job.

As long as you followed the wisdom of those mentioned in profiling the bolt, you should be good to go.

It looks good to me, real nice and shiny, and like it should be slicker than a wet pussy.

Lucky I swollowed my coffee before I got to the end of that or it would have been everywhere.

• Like 1

That looks really good, and honestly it does not have to look like a mirror finnish to work well. ANYONE can polish these parts to the point that they function flawessly and the action is smooth as silk. If you do really want it to look like a mirror THAT is when you really should just send it in, because there are areas that you can polish too much off of and cause a failure. I know for one Cobra has a thread on this forum showing one that had too much polished off and caused it to break.

That looks really good, and honestly it does not have to look like a mirror finnish to work well. ANYONE can polish these parts to the point that they function flawessly and the action is smooth as silk. If you do really want it to look like a mirror THAT is when you really should just send it in, because there are areas that you can polish too much off of and cause a failure. I know for one Cobra has a thread on this forum showing one that had too much polished off and caused it to break.

Thanks. It really didn't matter to me if she had the mirror finish like some. My action was really rough compared to others I've fired. I just wanted to achieve smoother action in my new SG. Pauly's and Cobra's threads helped me to achieve this by profiling a little at a time until I had what I wanted. Then finished with a little polishing. She is not perfect in the shine department but, she is perfect for me. As far as sending it in, definitely, if you do not have a clue on the mechanics of how things work you should leave it to the professionals. I saw how easy someone could profile a little to much with severe consequences. After doing this myself, it taught me more about my new gun than if I had sent it in.The price of having this done by Pauly or Cobra is well worth it after doing this myself. Unfortunately, not to take any credit away from the Business Members on this forum, this is MY girl. I really do not feel comfortable with someone else handling, polishing, rubbing, or fondling on my girl in any way. That is why I could not let her go to anyone else. Plus, after I joined, I was kindly asked to read and search for any questions I may have. Well, I did. Every last word. Studied this particular topic for days before making any changes myself to see if this was something I could handle. Thanks again to all who contribute to this forum. I hope someday I can return the favor...Mike

Edited by Sport Rescue

Looks good man. There is still some more that could be done to get a better transition though, from the neck and shoulder up to the bolt head. That is key in best possible mag insertion on a closed bolt, especially with 3" ammo.

post-1293-0-72684000-1357412470_thumb.jpg

Also don't forget the carrier re-profiling. Shine isn't anything compared to a good profile.

post-1293-0-75148100-1357412561_thumb.jpg

post-1293-0-93674000-1357413135_thumb.jpg

Looks good man. There is still some more that could be done to get a better transition though, from the neck and shoulder up to the bolt head. That is key in best possible mag insertion on a closed bolt, especially with 3" ammo.

attachicon.gif70-PC130200.JPG

Also don't forget the carrier re-profiling. Shine isn't anything compared to a good profile.

attachicon.gifPC130220.JPG

attachicon.gifPA200062.JPG

attachicon.gifS-12 Bolt Closeup.jpg

Cobra, just tried to send message to you but, for some reason you cannot receive any messages Is this a problem on my end? Would like to talk in private about a couple of concerns I have. Thanks