Don't want to live in IL anymore. Info on bordering states?

Title pretty much says it. This latest feeble minded legislation has irritated me enough that i don't really want to call this state my home anymore. so as a starting point, i was hoping from some input from some members on living in wisconsin or indiana.

both state are possibilities for me. i have to admit, i've always liked wisconsin a little better, but indiana would be a little closer to work for me. i work as an elevator mechanic all over the area ( for those who know, i go from gurnee to kankakee, aurora to east chicago, but aside from working in the city, i spend most of the times in the northern burbs.

i have a family, so schools, shopping and all that stuff are of interest as well

selling my house, even in this market, shouldn't be too difficult. i live in a very good suburb, in a small house, but i've done ALOT of work to it. ( new copper water pipe, gas pipe, PVC drain, finished basement, add bathroom, new furnace/ AC, concrete driveway, the list goes on)

and from what little i've found so far, is that, as a generalization, houses are cheaper in those states, with lower taxes.

i would only be moving just over the border ( no more than, say, 10 mins) i would still keep my job, just commute longer.

so what are some high and low points to each state, and, importantly, what have you found about their gun laws? Also, is any NFA allowed? i still have hopes of a sbs and a can for a .22

thanks for any help

I live in IN and recently had an employer leave me for Lisle. IL... I quite happily stayed behind.

10 minutes over the boarder is where a lot of those guys were looking for houses. Seemed like the houses were still IL prices (x2 IN prices), but 1/10th the property taxes. I'm sure you know the stay the hell away from Gary. Personally, I'd be looking at Fort Wayne (me) or Indy.

As far as laws go... Indiana is awesome. Great castle doctrine, RED state, Face-to-face sales are legal, no state mag bans and the state made it ILLEGAL for cities to enforce bans more stringent than state law, right-to-work state as of last year, etc, etc, etc....

I won't move out of Indiana, ever...

edit: I did live in Ohio for about 1.5 years... PITA to get a CCW as far as I'm concerned. In Indiana we have LIFETIME permits (they never expire) for about $120 and no BS training classes. However, my local Gander Mountain offers NRA Certified "Florida" CCW classes. I think Florida's CCW is good in like 42 states and they allow non-residents to apply. Indiana's CCW has reciprocation in MI, KY, RI, FL, and many others.

As left as Wisconsin leans, I wouldn't even consider it as an option. We went solid red in 2012 except for our senator because our Tea Party candidate (that ousted a RINO in the primary) said some seriously insensitive shit about abortion and lost the women's vote.

Oh... And we're a net donor state to the federal government. Meaning we pay more in taxes than we receieve in services, unlike Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, and Ohio.

I'm pulling for you to move here because we need all the sane minded people we can get.

Edited by Maxwelhse
  • Like 1

If you want to come further west, SD is a great state. Plenty of jobs (depends on what you want to do of course), castle doctrine, shall issue CCP, and if it goes boom you can pretty much have it. Not very likely that we would ever have a legislature looking to ban anything.

Going to write the appropriate folks at the State tomorrow to get them to recruit the gun manufacturers out of IL. I guess they tried about 5 years or so ago, but the environment might be more conducive now.

Edited by jwulf

Too bad Missouri isn't in for your consideration. We have probably THE best Castle Doctrine around, shall issue CCW, as far as NFA from what I see the only thing you can't have is Destructive Devices. If you stay the hell away from east and north St. Louis you're pretty well good to go. I live south of the city and hunt and shoot in the southern part of the state.

There may be no safe refuge if the feds manage to ban everything like they want to.

I'm kind of surprised to see several states pushing so hard for bans rather than wait for the feds.

As someone who had the option to go to IL, with a 30% pay raise (and keep a job I did genuinely love), or stay in IN and have no job, I say that there are more considerations to make than just gun legislation.

IL is going town the pipes fast. If I were the OP, I would be moving to Alaska after the oppression of IL for more than a few weeks. IL, CA, and NY are all states that I would rather die fighting my way out of than to live in.

My home is modest. 900 ft^2 on a finished basement, 3brd/2 full bath, 2 car detached garage, and 1/3 of an acre of land. $99k in IN w/$800 in property taxes. In IL, if you could find such a smoking deal, your property taxes alone would be at least $6k. Comparable houses (for some reason basements don't seem as popular over there, so, 1800 ft^2) in a 75 mile radius of Chicago are $250k+. If you're further away from Chicago than that, you're either farming, unemployed, or damn lucky. All of that tax money to put up with a bunch of Barack wannabes and a tiny house.

I can't emphasize enough how much I would never live in IL. I would go out of my way to never drive through IL. 49 states have CCW. IL does not.

Fuck that!

• Like 1
Too bad Missouri isn't in for your consideration. We have probably THE best Castle Doctrine around, shall issue CCW, as far as NFA from what I see the only thing you can't have is Destructive Devices. If you stay the hell away from east and north St. Louis you're pretty well good to go. I live south of the city and hunt and shoot in the southern part of the state.

I was under the impression that to own anything NFA in Missouri, you had to hold an FFL - that any kind would do, even a C&R.

There may be no safe refuge if the feds manage to ban everything like they want to.

I'm kind of surprised to see several states pushing so hard for bans rather than wait for the feds.

Shockingly enough, NY is pushing hard for it's own upgraded ban from what we have now, regardless of what happens on a federal level. I live 15 minutes from the NY/PA border. I could move to PA, keep my current job, and still be close to friends/fam. It's a serious option, if nothing passes on a federal level, but does on a state level in NY.

• Like 1

If you are wanting to move just over the line you will want to go south or east far enough to get out of the "hood". Maybe Crown Point that is far enough south but still near 65 so you can jump on the highway quickly and join the traffic jam! Then there is Valapraiso nice little town BUT they are very liberal, Michigan city might be a good spot BUT they do have a prison there!!!!I live just east of South Bend I like this area but it is nearly two hours to Chicago midway airport area.

All state gov has its nuts - the good news - the illinois AWB looks like it is stalled -

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-01-04/news/chi-gay-marriage-assault-weapons-ban-votes-delayed-in-illinois-senate-20130103_1_marriage-bill-assault-weapons-gay-marriage

" an effort to ban semi-automatic assault weapons and large-capacity ammunition magazines --- backed by Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel --- also lacked the votes needed for passage. Opponents argued the measure was too broad and unworkable."

So hopefully like a lot of government crap - it goes no where.

Or were you upset about the gay marriage thingy lol!

You could have it all in Virginia.......kinda of a long commute though, but plenty of work here in the tidewater area, biggest military port in the world, not to cold either!

Sounds inviting. I'm going to meed a place to go too. I anger.gif NY

My first recommendation is to check out the NRA list of state gun laws. I would look for a state that has gun ownership written into the state constitution. Then of course the other lack of oppressive laws.

My 2 cents.

What I can tell you is Illinois is not a good state now and into the future financially. That is also something to look at.

Good choice and good luck!

• Like 1

Im in Illinois, but have lots of family in Indiana. Its ok, like a growing rural town, even the 'big' cities. There are pockets of crime everywhere because of the slower economy, but they dont seem to travel much. I worked in Gary and a few miles away people felt perfectly safe, the gang idiots didnt really cross borders.

We considered it years back, but decided we didnt want the rural feel. Now though, many NW areas are grown up to have the necessaries: shopping, restaurants, specialty stores. The real killer for us is still the schools. With lots of young cousins there, we see the effects of the education system firsthand. Our 12 year old cousins in crappy Illinois schools are better educated than my high school cousins in Indiana. The family I have going to Andrew, forgetaboutit.

Property taxes, I pay $4k on a (valued by the state at) $160k 1800 sqft on 1/4 acre in Grundy. The taxes definitely drive house size and where you look in Illinois. You can get some smoking deals in Indiana, but you wil be paying for private schools that will be as good as Illinois public schools, and gas, tolls, and time if you work in the city. Having travelled I80 twice a day for 3 years, get used to being late to work several times a year when some idiot crashed, or the state rebuilds a perfectly good road.

• Like 1

Sounds like the Kenosha/Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin area fits the bill for you !! (Lived there myself for many years before WI became a free state......, and worked in Chicago)...... Easy access on the Tri-State into Chicago for your work, and decent housing prices and tax rates......

Gun friendly also, since they cleaned out most of the shit-for-brainers from state government !! (Something that needs desperately to happen in Illinois, but with Chicago being the controlling factor, I don't hold much hope for that .)

Edited by Jeaux E
  • Like 1

thanks for all the input everybody

unfortuanetly, due to my job, indiana and wisconsin are the only states i can consider right now. i have to keep my current job, moving and finding another really isn't an option for a few years.

seems like a lot of support for indiana, which is nice, since it is sort of closer. i would probably have to private school the kids, and i know i'll be spending a ton more in gas, but i recognize these as compromises to be able to live in a state that isn't a complete embarrassment for a multitude of reasons.

i was hoping to hear more support for wisonsin. i've done quite a few races in the milwaukee/kenosha/racine area, geographically, i love the area. anyone else have info on wisconsin?

Yeah, if I wasnt clear, there are downsides, but good points as well. Even Grundy county is probably more regulated than the more urban areas in Indiana. Statewide, taxes are higher. Its a tradeoff, one that personally I think is worth it, but I have family in Illinois that saves me a LOT in babysitting. Once the kids are in school, we will be looking at Indiana or Wisconsin again too, if we can find schools that we like over there. The wife came up in Orland, and me in Homer then thrown into Lockport HS which is maybe 25% Joliet kids, and alot of my friends went to Providence. The difference between learning in a classroom with pregnant girls focused on finding a husband, vs Charles Sebastian The Third focused on getting into MIT and improving his backhand; you see that kind of thing firsthand and alot of socioeconomic things become clearer. Im thankfull I saw so many varied things in my youth, but now as a parent, I want my kids to emulate my lawyer friends in the north suburbs rather than my friends with 5.5 kids in a (being foreclosed on) trailer south of I80.

Edited by mostholycerebus
Yeah, if I wasnt clear, there are downsides, but good points as well. Even Grundy county is probably more regulated than the more urban areas in Indiana. Statewide, taxes are higher. Its a tradeoff, one that personally I think is worth it, but I have family in Illinois that saves me a LOT in babysitting. Once the kids are in school, we will be looking at Indiana or Wisconsin again too, if we can find schools that we like over there. The wife came up in Orland, and me in Homer then thrown into Lockport HS which is maybe 25% Joliet kids, and alot of my friends went to Providence. The difference between learning in a classroom with pregnant girls focused on finding a husband, vs Charles Sebastian The Third focused on getting into MIT and improving his backhand; you see that kind of thing firsthand and alot of socioeconomic things become clearer. Im thankfull I saw so many varied things in my youth, but now as a parent, I want my kids to emulate my lawyer friends in the north suburbs rather than my friends with 5.5 kids in a (being foreclosed on) trailer south of I80.

Guys we can solve this problem by taking these lines, WI border down to I80 and Rt47 over to lake Michigan and forcing them to leave the State of Illinois. That or they stay IL and we become the 51st State, of New Illinois.

Indiana! I was foolish enough to join the navy so i have spent time in the Gurnee area and frankly it was a craphole. I just bought 7 acres in Lawrence county for 6 grand with power and water service. What kind of work are you in if you don't mind me asking? We have a pretty good amount of industrial work and construction plus NSA Crane for military/gov jobs.

You could have it all in Virginia.......kinda of a long commute though, but plenty of work here in the tidewater area, biggest military port in the world, not to cold either!

But theres no good public hunting or shooting areas plus way too many people for my preference. Growing up in Indiana i can just go outside and shoot at 2 am. You have to pay to shoot in the Norfolk area. Unless you have friends and most people aren't very friendly if you ask for permission to hunt or fish.

I was under the impression that to own anything NFA in Missouri, you had to hold an FFL - that any kind would do, even a C&R.

Not since 2011

http://www.house.mo.gov/content.aspx?info=/bills111/bilsum/truly/sHB294T.htm

(4) Allows a person to possess, manufacture, transport, repair, or sell a machine gun, short barreled rifle or shotgun, or firearm silencer if he or she conforms with federal law. A person will not commit a crime if he or she possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs, or sells an explosive weapon; an explosive, incendiary, or poisonous substance or material; a gas gun; a switchblade knife; certain explosive bullets; or knuckles if the item was possessed in conformity with federal law and during possession his or her conduct was incident to certain specified actions. A person who possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs, or sells an explosive weapon; an explosive, incendiary, or poisonous substance or material; a gas gun; or a machine gun, short barreled rifle or shotgun, or a firearm silencer in violation of federal law will be guilty of a class C felony. A person who possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs, or sells a switchblade knife, certain explosive bullets, or knuckles in violation of federal law will be guilty of a class A misdemeanor (Section 571.020);

Ya know, postings like this ought to make us that live in gun-friendly states appreciate what we have! I have always lived in the south (Alabama born, by the grace of God!) And as for what is coming up...we have to make the politicians remember who works for who! WE, THE PEOPLE!. This will most definitely be an interesting year...nuff said!