Don't want to live in IL anymore. Info on bordering states?

You could have it all in Virginia.......kinda of a long commute though, but plenty of work here in the tidewater area, biggest military port in the world, not to cold either!

Sounds inviting. I'm going to meed a place to go too. I anger.gif NY

You know.........for some reason there is a connection with NY here, there are a shitload of people who have moved from that commie bastion to here, come on down.

thanks for all the input everybody

unfortuanetly, due to my job, indiana and wisconsin are the only states i can consider right now. i have to keep my current job, moving and finding another really isn't an option for a few years.

seems like a lot of support for indiana, which is nice, since it is sort of closer. i would probably have to private school the kids, and i know i'll be spending a ton more in gas, but i recognize these as compromises to be able to live in a state that isn't a complete embarrassment for a multitude of reasons.

i was hoping to hear more support for wisonsin. i've done quite a few races in the milwaukee/kenosha/racine area, geographically, i love the area. anyone else have info on wisconsin?

Guys are being pretty hard on Indiana schools, but really its all about the school district in your area. Around here, the further away from the "city" you get, the better the schools become. Indiana seems like that with most things. If the city is involved its going to be worse than if just the county or state were doing it. Less government is better.

Iowa IS bad... The eastern side of the state is more liberal than California....while the western side was more conservative but has become more apathetic about everything... However it's Iowa there is always work here, everybody has to eat, right? The schools are in severe decline, no BS there has been a growing teacher on student kind of situation... As far as politics go, the Agenda has been full blown here for some time, no one talks about Iowa though...us rural guys are outnumbered by the eastern urban population... Steer clear unless you bat for the other team, then you could get hitched here!!! Lol!!!

Sounds like the Kenosha/Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin area fits the bill for you !! (Lived there myself for many years before WI became a free state......, and worked in Chicago)...... Easy access on the Tri-State into Chicago for your work, and decent housing prices and tax rates......

Gun friendly also, since they cleaned out most of the shit-for-brainers from state government !! (Something that needs desperately to happen in Illinois, but with Chicago being the controlling factor, I don't hold much hope for that .)

^^this

I live in this area and love it. I am from the far North Side and moved up here 12 years ago. Much more laid back. Also pretty good schools. I am in the same boat as you are as far as the work thing goes. I am a contractor and we work all around the Chi-town area. Thats where the $$ is compared to working here. About half the people that live around here work in IL. Also, I happen to have a house for rent/lease/ maybe sale in Kenosha. PM me if you want some details.

Edited by Imurhuckleberry

Michigan is not bad, gov snyder and AG shuette approved suppressors so you can see people signing up for them all the time. We have lots of hunting, so - lots of gun owners. Oh yea - we got the jolly militia groups too lol. So far - no crazy talk about AWB in my state. I have to check , I think they made it easier to purchase a pistol, - while they did not approve CC in schools.

Edited by DNR
Michigan is not bad, gov snyder and AG shuette approved suppressors so you can see people signing up for them all the time. We have lots of hunting, so - lots of gun owners. Oh yea - we got the jolly militia groups too lol. So far - no crazy talk about AWB in my state. I have to check , I think they made it easier to purchase a pistol, - while they did not approve CC in schools.

Yeah but the sports teams suck and they cancelled hockey

• Like 1

Please move to Wisconsin to displace a liberal vote. Plenty of work for a guy like you, carry permission is simple, hunting is world class as is the fishing. Stay the F away from Madison and Milwaukee. The Coulee Region is beautiful and rewarding. I live in Montana now so Wisconsin is beautiful and all but you just can't beat it here.

Best of luck to you!

thanks again for all the posts. i did a little cursory looking around online at kenosha and munster. seems like your dollar can go pretty far, so there is some promise. dad brought up a good point about being double taxed, huckleberry, have you encountered that?

stryker- its both tempting to move with like minded sane people (indiana) and do what you say in wisconsin. it is beautiful up there.

seems like your dollar can go pretty far, so there is some promise

As my last sale's pitch for Indiana (again, trying to keep the libs in check), this is what my parent's bought in 2011:

10 Acres

Early 90s build

5400 Square feet (its huge - very nice condition with very nice finishes/fixtures)

5 br, 4fb

Indoor 8 person hot tub included

Fully finished basement with second kitchen, bar, and pool table included (walks out with 2 patio doors)

Second floor balcony "study" that overlooks lofted great room

Great room opens up to 1 acre pond ~2000 ft^2 deck that overlooks the pond and water features w/ 2 sliding patio doors

60 x 80 pole barn w/concrete floor 1 RV height door + 30'x30' insulated and heated workshop

2 car attached

Seriously.. It's nuts and with a little more investment could become a "palace".

$295,000... Property taxes are $1200/yr..

Not that life is all about the house you live in, but that is a smoking deal and there is stuff like it around here all the time! They looked at 6-8 just about like it before buying that one (it was a very steps up from the others).

So... If you want a palace on the cheap, WE GOT 'EM! :)