Help on Sporter forend to AK forend conversion parts list

Hello just bought a Saiga IZ-132 sporter config AK47. I've owned the IZ-340 and have done the FCG to original config moving it forward, adding pistol grip. I just just want the same AK forend my IZ-340 had, which I just sold. I already have a red laminate wood set with pistol grip, stock, and upper and lower forend to put on.

Parts list:

Gas tube, which one? Will the K-var AK-080R fit? Does it need to be vented? Filing to fit needed or is there a drop in no fitting needed one like I've read the CSS one is?

AK gas tube lock: RTG version gtg?

AKM gas chamber: RTG version gtg?

AK lower hand guard retainer- Is the RTG one gtg?

Tension Spring for hand guard: 2 different shaped ones on RTG which one? Parts for AK47, AK74, RPK

AK 74 cleaning Rod: RTG fit and gtg?

I need the tool to remove the lower hand guard retainer? I had one with my IZ-340 I sold but went with the sale.

Is there anything missing or other lower priced sources on parts you guys suggest?

Thanks for your help.

Edited by CAGLS

The vented gas tube is not mandatory. The kvar should fit. The AKM gas block will not work with the 90 degree ports on your Saiga. You need one that is made for the newer 90 degree port and not the 45. The gas tube lock is not needed either. The one from the factory will be fine. Check and see if your barrel has the notches for the LHG retainer. If not then you'll have to either add them to the barrel, or buy a bolt on retainer. . You may have to notch the barrel too for the handguard retainer lever to be able to lock in.

The Saiga is based off the '74/100 series, and not AKM.

I just did this on mine thursday. That is the excact gas tube I used from K-var, and it works great. although rifles can vary, so you may need to file, but I didn't need to. No venting needed. I did not change out my gas block, or lock, the original shit worked for me. I used a bolt on HG retainer I got from CSS, but I can't link it because they're still closed. It was around $40. It looks fine for me, and I didn't want to mess with pressing one on, like the one you linked. The 2 diff tension springs are for the lower and upper. Old handgaurd comes off with a flat head.

• Like 1
I just did this on mine thursday. That is the excact gas tube I used from K-var, and it works great. although rifles can vary, so you may need to file, but I didn't need to. No venting needed. I did not change out my gas block, or lock, the original shit worked for me. I used a bolt on HG retainer I got from CSS, but I can't link it because they're still closed. It was around $40. It looks fine for me, and I didn't want to mess with pressing one on, like the one you linked. The 2 diff tension springs are for the lower and upper. Old handgaurd comes off with a flat head.

hdskumm, the Gas block you mentioned did you mean gas chamber? That bolt on HG retainer is the one I'll get since it's a drop in without pressing or fitting. If I did have to file the gas tube what is it you file? But I may not need to since the K-var one worked without modification.

hdskumm, the Gas block you mentioned did you mean gas chamber? That bolt on HG retainer is the one I'll get since it's a drop in without pressing or fitting. If I did have to file the gas tube what is it you file? But I may not need to since the K-var one worked without modification.

Most of the time where you have to file is on the bottom where it seats in. Some gas tubes are more oval shaped and they may need to be a liitle more V shaped.

Have you guys ordered anything from RTG? Is this site reliable or have you had any problems receiving your order. I've called but they're not answering their phone. Also who sells the AK74 gas tube besides K-var? Just trying to save money and find some other sources to buy parts.

Have you guys ordered anything from RTG? Is this site reliable or have you had any problems receiving your order. I've called but they're not answering their phone. Also who sells the AK74 gas tube besides K-var? Just trying to save money and find some other sources to buy parts.

I ordered my Beryl stock from them. No issues.

I am sure they are very busy right now as is the rest of the industry. Give them time.

Just dros'd the gun today and will pick it up on the 21st. It didn't have the 1 x 24 threads on the front sight block like my IZ-340 and the end of the barrel was covered integrated with the front sight block. It looks like the one in this pic from Atlantic firearms below. Do I need to replace the whole front sight block? Maybe it's the 1 X 14 threading. I want to put on an AK74 comp on the muzzle. I did see the round trunnion so I know I need the round bullet guide.

IZ132.jpg

Edited by CAGLS
  • Like 1

Good buy. You don't need to replace the whole FSB. You could (or have someone) thread the muzzle.

I am just having someone thread the muzzle of mine. You only need to get a new FSB and GB to fully restore it to AK100 series.

CSS closed their site again. I want to fully convert with the cleaning rod holder and bayonet lug. This Bulgarian AK-167B one should work from k-var?:

AK-167B.jpg

Just be careful when you cut off the FSB. The shroud is not as thick as it looks. Nicking the barrell is okay as it will be covered up by the new FSB. Creating trenches in the barrell not a good idea.

CSS closed their site again. I want to fully convert with the cleaning rod holder and bayonet lug. This Bulgarian AK-167B one should work from k-var?:

AK-167B.jpg

Just be careful when you cut off the FSB. The shroud is not as thick as it looks. Nicking the barrell is okay as it will be covered up by the new FSB. Creating trenches in the barrell not a good idea.

I have to cut off the FSB? I thought it slips or hammered off. Any vids of this procedure?

AK-167B.jpg

As long as you dont go too deep it wont hurt anything. The only problem Id see is moisture and storage.

But for cutting the FSB, there are threads on it that have been pinned. Id try to hammer it off first to see if it will budge. But if your rifle has it pressed in two places, it may not want to come off that way very easy without a press.

AK-167B.jpg

I have to cut off the FSB? I thought it slips or hammered off. Any vids of this procedure?

It is possible that you could hammer yours off, but I doubt it. It really is not that big of a deal to cut one off, especially if you have a dremel. Just takes a few minutes to cut through the shroud and FSB on each side, then bang it off with a mallet. It should land on the floor in two pieces. I was pretty nervous about doing mine, but it came out great, and was not that difficult.

Thanks to Shot show delaying any response from K-Var the Russian gas tube AK-080R I ordered was void because they said it was oos even though their webiste allowed me to order it because it was in stock when I purchased it online, thanks for not notifying me and their website for that order still said "processing". Now I'm not sure which one will fit and when someone finally answered their phone K-Var didn't know even when I told them what gun it was going on, they're cs is useless.

Which one of these will work on my Saiga IZ-132?

So they have an East German version AK-030EG, a Romanian version FPK-UGT HANDGUARD ~ FPK/PSL Romanian wood upper handguard with gas tube, a Bulgarian version AK-080B GAS TUBE ~ (BULGARIAN) Type rifles w/o Vent Holes and the same but with vent holes, and a

AK-080BH GAS TUBE ~ (BULGARIAN) w/ Vent Holes.

Edited by CAGLS
I have a bulgy "74 gas tube on mine. It works great. I believe any "74 gas tube will work on the saiga?????

Thank you for your response. So out of the ones I've listed either Bulgarian gas tube should work? Did you buy yours from K-Var?

I have a bulgy "74 gas tube on mine. It works great. I believe any "74 gas tube will work on the saiga?????

Thank you for your response. So out of the ones I've listed either Bulgarian gas tube should work? Did you buy yours from K-Var?

No problem, happy to help. Lord knows I got lots of help from this site.

No, I bought mine from a poster on here in the for sale thread. He had a bunch of bulgy milsurp stuff he was selling. His screen name was MarkW, but I havent seen him around for a while. The KVAR will work just fine, and you can add a cleaning rod and bayo if you want to.

what if I wanted to add a slant brake and a cleaning rod to my Saiga? any idea what FSB i would need?

You want the same FSB we were talking about and is in the photo above. Then, you need an adaptor like this....

http://www.cncwarrior.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=23076

You screw the adaptor to the FSB, then screw the slant brake onto the adaptor.

This is the only way I know to get everything you want, but others may have a better suggestion. You will also have a bayo lug as an added bonus.