folding vertical grip or magpul angled grip with Md20 drum?

O.K. I ordered a Hi point folding vertical grip after firing my Saiga 12 with the Md20 drum for the first time. It defeinately needs some sort of forward grip to be able to reach around the drum. But now I an having second thoughts about the vertical grip because I do not have a quad rail and do not want one. I will have to attach this with a piece of picatinny rail to the 4mm mounting screw for the fore stock. So any ideas will a magpul angled fore grip be enough to reach around the drum? Or do I have to machine some sort of mount to attach to the gas block with a picatinny rail on the bottom?

I'm using an angled foregrip on my S12. It's comfortable to me with the MD20. I do have a railed forend, but I prefer the AGP grip to a vertical because the angled grip doesn't absorb recoil. A vert grip can take alot of recoil depending on how you hold it, and I've heard of vert grips breaking on shotguns.

I use a solid aluminum KZ stubby. If it breaks, so is the rail it is mounted on. I prefer VFGs. I was a Beta tester for the Magpul AFG, we ran it on several ARs with different rails, my S12, one of my AKMs, and an 870. It seemed to awkward to me although it kind of helped when cycling the pump.

The drum is heavy and odd no matter what you do. I find that a good sling will help with the weight of the rifle and less strength is needed for your foregrip. My sling of choice is the Huskey. It basically rendered all my 3 points obsolete. The model I have is called the Amentum. It was the first sling that I put on that just worked right off the bat. It made sense and was not a pain to adjust to.

Your grip will be the loop on the sling. Try it out and see if it works for you as well as it does for me.

Good luck!

Well - you only shot it once - try it a few more times. I notice my hold on the Saiga just had to be centered on the forearm - I use a Mag Well Grip on the AR I normally shoot - so it was a matter of habit to shift my forearm hold forward. I too would not try a plastic pistol grip on the aluminum forearm rail - there is not much for those to 'grip' on the rail, it can fail.

Keep working it. Otherwise, just switch to magazines - you will still have the fastest reloading shotgun...