Bulgy FSB over threaded barrel

When I did my .223 conversion, cut the shroud off and threaded the barrel using the die. now, i want to add the handguard retainer, change the gb and fsb. I want the bayo lug and cleaning rode. since i have threaded the barrel, will the bulgy ak74 fsb w/ 24mm threads just go over existing threads??

Im also trying to find how to install fsb and gb on saigas instructions/videos. can't find anything other than how to remove them. thanks.....

The answer to your question is yes, it will go over the current threads you have. You likely wont find much info as far as videos. There are plenty of threads on here that go into detail with pics that should give you an idea of how to remove it. What your wanting to do can be done. its not any different than if you didnt thread the barrel.

Putting the new items on can be a pain in the ass without a press, but I do mine with a block of wood and a hammer and a vice, and index it with a rubber mallet. Hope this helps.

You shouldnt have to take the barrel off.

This video should give you an idea of what to do with it. Just make sure to place something over the muzzle so you dont fuck up the crown. And pressing them back on may a bit more tricky.

Edited by Captain Hero
  • 2 weeks later...

<p>Cut the original GB and FSB off if they are dimpled. IF they're pinned, you can press out the pins and press off the components as in the video above.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Make sure that your barrel OD behind the FSB is .571", and .592" behind the gas block. Otherwise you will have to bore out the AK-74 GB & FSB to fit the barrel. There were two different barrel dimensions used with the .223, one which is a heavier barrel and the other is a standard AK-74 profile barrel. If your barrel already has the two locating cuts for the handguard retainer (small lengthwise machined cut on each side of the barrel where the retainer goes), it should be the AK-74 profile barrel. I don't believe any of the heavy barreled .223s had the locator cuts from the factory.</p>

Edited by mancat