Tapco Trigger Group

At a local gunshow and they had some S12 parts. They had a fire group (trigger group) set and the trigger itself was stamped "Tapco". I know I had wanted to get Tromix fire control group but I couldn't remember reading stuff about Tapco's. I tried to do some quick research on my mobile but no love there.

So I opted to buy it since it was 'in hand' and now I believe I have made a mistake. Searching out there it seems it can be used but has to be modified....the issue I'm finding is I cannot figure out HOW it is suppose to be modified and if it is better or worse than the Tromix. Example: If the Tromix is smoother then I don't even want to play with the Tapco...but if with the modification the Tapco is just as good or smoother then I will be happy and stick with it. Various places say I need to "shave it" to make it fit but I cannot find a walkthrough on what needs to be shaved.

So, my questions:

1) Does anyone have the Tapco fire control group on theirs? Do you like it? How smooth is it?

2) Has anyone fired both Tromix and Tapco, if so how does it compare?

2) What modifications are required to the Tapco in order to make it fit?

Full Disclosure: I have yet to pull it all apart and even try it. I don't want to pull it all apart if it won't work because it isn't like I can reassemble the factory parts due to having to remove rivets.

Thanks for any answers.

The Tromix FCG IS a Tapco. It has been modified to fit most guns so it drops right in. In my opinion the ten minutes it takes to modify your own is worth saving the money. I prefer to use a double hook Tapco, so I can cut an over travel stop.

Use google to search: "saiga 12 forum 'search query'". There are many threads on this. Enjoy!

The Tromix FCG IS a Tapco. It has been modified to fit most guns so it drops right in. In my opinion the ten minutes it takes to modify your own is worth saving the money. I prefer to use a double hook Tapco, so I can cut an over travel stop.

Use google to search: "saiga 12 forum 'search query'". There are many threads on this. Enjoy!

Thanks for the reply. I had searched the forums and done some minor google search (hate google now they stopped allowed sales of scopes, mags, etc on google shopping) but I was unable to find anything conclusive. The one I purchased is a single hook. Looked on youtube for an instructional video and either my query is wrong or no one has made a video of it.

Glad to know I didn't screw myself. :)

post-44856-0-26477500-1357493440.jpgpost-44856-0-67855800-1357493298_thumb.jpg Like previously stated Tromix and nearly every other PRO uses Tapco FCGs and modifies them, basically it involves machining about 3/32" off one side to clear the BHO (bolt hold open) lever. you also will probably need some reprofiling the face of the hammer that strikes the firing pin. you will have a little more work to do but it is not a really a mistake. Though the first one clearencing for the BHO would be better done in a lathe if you are careful it could be done with a grinder and a file. You might want to look up threads on this to get the exact dimensions. Edited by misterT

I just used the factory hammer to measure off of for profileing the tapco. the tapco disconector hole didnt fit the saiga 308 spring so eather a ak spring or I drilled out the hole to fit the bigger spring. I think that is just a 308 thing though.

You do not need to modify the FCG if you leave the gun in stock configuration and only use five-round Russian magazines. Read up on 922r compliance with USA made parts if you intend to change any parts out on the gun. Unfortunately, there are serious legal ramifications involved.

You do not need to modify the FCG if you leave the gun in stock configuration and only use five-round Russian magazines. Read up on 922r compliance with USA made parts if you intend to change any parts out on the gun. Unfortunately, there are serious legal ramifications involved.

Yeah, I have a complete build list of things I'm specifically going to swap out. I have read over the 922r docs and I'm golden on it once my conversion is complete. Currently I'm gathering all of the parts to do the build-out. Can't wait to get'm all and assemble my boomstick.

Sounds like you have it all under control. Don't believe everything you see about conversions on Youtube... CSS has great videos and better customer service. Read up; Everything you need to know is in this forum. Then, dive right in and assemble the beast. Have fun!

See link in my sig line for a nice way to mod your trigger.

I also have a Tapco G1 modified as per my sig line, but missing the extractor. If yours is a g1, I can send you what I have.

The G2 has a steel tube to hold the disco and trigger body together. The g1 does not, and therefore will not work with g2 extractor.