Swapping out piston

How do I change out the gas piston in my 7.62? I noticed dimples on the bolt carrier, is that staking it in?

Mind you I have never done it but I understand you have to drill out the "staking" pins to unscrew the piston. Unscrewing the piston will require vicegrips or the like. After installing the new piston it too must be pinned in to assure it does not come loose in use.

Most of the commentary I have read on this forum reflects if they had it to do over they would change out another part (for 922r compliance purposes) rather than tackle a piston change out again. I hear it is quite the job but not impossible.

I believe pins are available at Kvar. I have also heard of others using sections of a drill bit as the pins. Long ago I believe forum member Vjor had some steel rod he was offering to members tackling the piston job. You might email him inquiring as he is a neat guy, quite knowledgeable and may have some of that rod he is willing to part with.

Good luck.

Wolverine

Yup, thoes dimples are staked into divits in the threads. All ya gotta do is drill out the dimple on each side (or just one, if there's only one) and unthread the gas piston. It will be tough to unscrew the first 2 or 3 revolutions, until you wear threads back into the hole you just drilled. But after that, it will thread right off, and another should thread right on.

There are several methods for retaining the gas piston on the threads after swapping it out. Try the search feature to see what other people have used. I've heard of drilling the hole all the way through, and useing a roll pin or spring pin. I've also heard of drilling a new divit and punching a new dimple. Or punching new dimples into your old divits.

I hope this helps.

I've done this on 2 saigas, and it's pretty straight forward.

I drilled the dimples out, removed the old gas piston, put in the new one, and then i drilled through the piston and slightly enlarged the holes in the carrier, and used a piece of steel rod to secure the piston. I made the holes in the carrier wider so i could "mash" the steel rod smooth with the carrier so it cant fall out.

Edited by SaigaShooter
I've done this on 2 saigas, and it's pretty straight forward.

I drilled the dimples out, removed the old gas piston, put in the new one, and then i drilled through the piston and slightly enlarged the holes in the carrier, and used a piece of steel rod to secure the piston. I made the holes in the carrier wider so i could "mash" the steel rod smooth with the carrier so it cant fall out.

Saigashooter,

Did you change it out just for the 922r compliance or was there an functional reason?

W. :smoke:

922r compliance, that way along with the G2, i can use any stock, handguard, pg combo i feel like.

also works good if you want to do just a hicap mod and not the whole conversion. us piston + 3 part magazine = 922r satisfaction. Of course nowadays you could just use a tapco handuard, helluva lot easier, and looks pretty slick to boot!

p10103387by.th.jpgp10103665pf.th.jpg

Edited by SaigaShooter

How do the new gas pistons work? I heard from a guy who builds AKs that you risk making your rifle inoperable when you change the gas piston.

I have a US compliance gas piston which came in a bag of US compliance parts and it's a half inch longer than the Saiga piston. I'm not messing with my gas piston and will replace something else when I convert my Saiga.

The gas piston is not a precision instrument within the inner workings of an AK. It catches some of the gasses expelled by the round being fired, and moves backward. Because of the loose tolerances inherent in the AK, it can be a little longer or a little shorter without probs. If your gas piston was too long, your bolt would not lock up to the chamber. If it was too short, it may not blow back enough to cycle. Dont sweat it.

In the rifles, you should be OK as long as everything cycles mechanically, and the piston is behind the gas port . In the SHOTGUNS with the 'regulator' piston' that pushes the gas piston, the length is CRITICAL.

G O B