How many MD20 drums to own?

???? The sky is the limit!

For me, I guess I would figure how many could I possibly carry in a SHTF scenario. I could squeeze 2 or 3 in a back pack and carry a few extra boxes of ammo and find a place to fall back and reload.

For hunting pigs, I figure I would be just fine with the stock 5 round mag and maybe another box of slugs in my backpack.

How many is enough?

4?

8?

10?

What do you envision being practical?

1 or 2 for the range, another 1 or 2 for back up, and the rest will sit around collecting dust while you wait for the zombie apocalypse...

I've heard of hording water, food, guns, and ammo. But I've never heard of hording 10 drums unless you are the type to buy low and sell high. I don't think buying low is an option at this moment.

Short answer: 2-4

Edited by HighPlainsDrifter

Well lets look at the #456 rule of Combat (yes, they exist!)

"Rule #456 - If you can hump it, you can shoot it." that rule means that if you can carry a Dillon M134, its battery, and about 10,000 rounds - you can bring it into my AO.

l.jpg

If you consider the stuff the guys mentioned above - food, water, ammunition, medical kit (never know, you MIGHT get shot!) camp gear, survival crap, etc - maybe even a Molle' plate carrier with ESAPI plates - How much can you carry and still be combat effective? Plan on riding a golf cart in to combat?

If you are stocking up - buy all the drums you can get, then I can buy them from you private sale to bypass any hi-cap bans lol. Just don't buy any 12 ga ammo - I plan to barter with that.

If you have the money, then as many as you want. I don't know that it is ever a "need" It is a good magazine, but your needs could be satisfied with 2-3 stick mags that aren't made by promag.

What do you plan to use it for?

Alternatively, you can hoard them when they are cheap, and scalp them when there are periodic panics, or keep them for grandfathering purposes.

One does the job for me, but if they were selling for $30 I would have several just for the heck of it.

• Like 1

Me i just need a 10 rd stick mag or two if anybody could spare it not hording just bought a s12 and only have one mag.. not only that i didnt even have the choice of converted or not so i had to get a converted one which was done by cai but they did do a good job on it.also i am now staring to deal with the reliability issue one step at a time with out this forum it would be a painfull overhaul..

As many as you feel you want or need. No other consideration applys. I have only 2 and that is not enough. Now wishing, (with 20-20 hindsight) that I had bought a few more.....sosss I would have a total of at least fifteen. (15) How many is enough? Duhhh...all of them.? $$$$?

Now joking...the following is a joke not meant to taken seriously. When the Zombie Hoards attack, your valuable drums will be just use-once-and-throw-aways since retreiving them may expose you to the blood particles and body parts of....ZOMBIES!!! HB of CJ (old silly coot) :) :) :)

• Like 1

we should be asking evlblkwpnzbad_smile.gif

in all reality, it depends on what you want to do with them. range toy? i would think 2 or 3 would be more than good. worried about post-apocalytic zombies? probably 10. Your crystal ball got a good signal and said that a coming ban will grandfather them in and allow sale? 100+

Edited by fatty alcohol
  • Like 1

I have as many as the law allows here. If it was different one would be enough. Look to bulky and heavy to use practically, but I never played with one. have 8 5rnd, and 8 10rnd box/stick mags though. I was going to say clips and watch heads explode but could'nt do it.

Edited by rnemhrd

I think everyone should have as many as it takes to do this.... provided your shotgun runs acceptably.

or maybe this many....

post-22401-0-44735100-1357576952_thumb.jpg

post-22401-0-86145600-1357576969_thumb.jpg

Yes, the camera angle in the video sucks and it isn't very entertaining, but the goal was to illustrate some degree of reliability. One round caught on the barrel hood. I started extending the hoods after this and haven't had the same failure on any of them since. I think I may have perfected the art of making these run, long or short.

• Like 2
Well lets look at the #456 rule of Combat (yes, they exist!)

"Rule #456 - If you can hump it, you can shoot it." that rule means that if you can carry a Dillon M134, its battery, and about 10,000 rounds - you can bring it into my AO.

If you consider the stuff the guys mentioned above - food, water, ammunition, medical kit (never know, you MIGHT get shot!) camp gear, survival crap, etc - maybe even a Molle' plate carrier with ESAPI plates - How much can you carry and still be combat effective? Plan on riding a golf cart in to combat?

If you are stocking up - buy all the drums you can get, then I can buy them from you private sale to bypass any hi-cap bans lol. Just don't buy any 12 ga ammo - I plan to barter with that.

I plan on dragging a Radio Flyer wagon full of drums behind me.... right down the middle of the street like Rambo! Seriously, It is blasphemy here, but I'd be using a suppressed AR SBR if SHTF. I can carry a lot more 5.56 on me than 12 ga. My little SBS and a Russian 8 rounder is perfect for indoors though. I grab it when I hear things outside. I figure I'll never have to fire directly at an intruder. One buckshot fireball would likely make them shit their pants and run like hell....

post-22401-0-95638300-1357577456_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
I think everyone should have as many as it takes to do this.... provided your shotgun runs acceptably.

or maybe this many....

attachicon.gifEveryone should have a few MD-20s.....jpg

attachicon.gifFILE0024.JPG

Yes, the camera angle in the video sucks and it isn't very entertaining, but the goal was to illustrate some degree of reliability. One round caught on the barrel hood. I started extending the hoods after this and haven't had the same failure on any of them since. I think I may have perfected the art of making these run, long or short.

EVL,

I know you are looking at building a house. I just thought you should know the vacant lots on either side of mine and across the street are all undeveloped woods in the beautiful Ozarks. Come on up to Northwest Arkansas and enjoy FOUR seasons (actually, around here, it's more like eight)! That way your new neighbor can swing buy and borrow a few eggs or MD drums or whatever...

No?!?

Just so you know, you didn't build that collection! Those drums are a result of everyone's hard work. You need to spread the wealth and give everyone in this thread an MD Drum. It's your fair share!

Evl, why doe'nt you hang one of those drums from a chain around your neck and take a pic like Flavor Flav with one of his clocks? That would be some Evl pimp shit. YEAA BOYYY

Edited by rnemhrd

I may have some gun shit, but all of you guys probably drive a nicer vehicle than I have. It is funny, what is in my waistband and BOB when I am driving around exceeds the value of the vehicle. Priorities....

Evl, why doe'nt you hang one of those drums from a chain around your neck and take a pic like Flavor Flav with one of his clocks? That would be some Evl pimp shit. YEAA BOYYY

Not that Evil Peezy!

Edited by evlblkwpnz

or maybe this many....

¡Ay, caramba!

I was going to answer 4, but now I feel like a pussy...

• Like 1

or maybe this many....

¡Ay, caramba!

I was going to answer 4, but now I feel like a pussy...

Bay St?

I have 3 md's, 2 sgm 12's, 2 10's. It's enough to load a Federal bulk pack and I load a slug in the mag first to follow the birdshot and help clear the barrel. They also fill the 4 remaining spots in the mags. I go with a 200 round cap for my rifles, 6 30's and 1 20 for the aks and 4 50's for my 10/22. My advice is to pick a round number you are comfortable with. I didn't see a point in buying more than I could carry in my vodoo bag.

Edited by thewanderer

I've heard of hording water, food, guns, and ammo. But I've never heard of hording 10 drums unless you are the type to buy low and sell high. I don't think buying low is an option at this moment.

Humbled, I have to retract this statement...

Edited by HighPlainsDrifter

I have zero (0) MD 20 Drums.

I just don't think they are practical for my lifestyle. Could have bought one or two when they were in stock but the eight (8) and ten (10) round stick magazines seem like enough firepower for my needs. Although most of my magazines are five (5) rounders. So since most people in my neighborhood like me I won't be needing a 20 round drum 018.gif .

Edited by sweetcostarica