I have been reloading for a few years now, but I am still learning. I recently reloaded some 223. rounds and after I was done I noticed a very faint ring mid way up the case on some of these rounds. I can barely feel it with my finger nail. i don't know if this happened during resizing or If one of the rifles has a tight chamber and caused the ring. I have a good amount of them and I need to know if I should shoot them or pull them.

Thanks,

RF

Edited by redfish28

Are you reloading for .223 or for 5.56? There is a big difference in the loads. I learned that not long ago about they are not the same. .223 can be fired in 5.56 but not the other way around.

edit since you added info. Could be a crack in the case.

Edited by montec

It could be the case thinning from stretching. It happens. I'd take one of the cases and measure the wall thickness bottom to top.

If the case is thinning, the brass needs to be scrapped or you'll have a separation when fired.

You'll have to cut one case (empty and unprimed) lengthwise to measure it.

No, it may not be safe.

Or can't you just straighten out a paper clip, bend a small 90 degree "hook" on the end of it, and then run it down the inside of the cartridge case to see if it catches anywhere? I could have sworn reading in one of the reloading books somewhere that's one way to catch incipient case separation? :unsure:

Upon further inspection, just about every case has this mark. Some more than others. Some of this brass is brand new that I resized. I would hate to discard 300 rounds for this. Most of this is once fired or new.

Edited by redfish28

PICS would be VERY HELPFUL in this case.... However without any... I am going to say that your Resizing die is leaving the marks.. Nothing to worry about. Its where the brass is SCRAPING along the inside of the die to that EXACT SET point, then, because its at full stroke on the press, STOPS there.

If it were multiple times reloaded brass, I would say to check it out more. But with NEW brass resized ONCE ( as all new brass SHOULD BE ) I am pointing my finger at the die leaving a mark where its stopping. The line is about 1/8th of an inch above the rebated portion between the rim and the case, yes??? :up:

I am saying NO WORRIES.

:smoke:

PICS would be VERY HELPFUL in this case.... However without any... I am going to say that your Resizing die is leaving the marks.. Nothing to worry about. Its where the brass is SCRAPING along the inside of the die to that EXACT SET point, then, because its at full stroke on the press, STOPS there.

If it were multiple times reloaded brass, I would say to check it out more. But with NEW brass resized ONCE ( as all new brass SHOULD BE ) I am pointing my finger at the die leaving a mark where its stopping. The line is about 1/8th of an inch above the rebated portion between the rim and the case, yes??? 032.gif

I am saying NO WORRIES.

000.gif

Yes Sir. I agree with you, however I will snap some pics for ya'll to look at. If it is my die does that mean I should scrap it?

Edited by redfish28

no need to scrap anything... It is merely RESIZING the brass, its true purpose... and in doing do causes the edges of the brass to become more shiny/different in appearance/etc... than it was BEFORE resizing, and leaves a distinct line where the resizing ENDS ( as the die only goes to a certain point just above the base of the brass.

At least thats my thoughts without seeing pics! :lol: LOL!

:smoke:

Indy, I know the mark you speak of. This is different. Hopefully this pic will post. As you can see it is about half way down on the case. Sorry for the crappy cell pic. It is faint but you can see it and it is around the hole case.

post-20005-0-09685200-1357695842_thumb.jpg

Well I dont see any sign of the sharpe ink. Put ink on one, resize and post a pic.

We will help all we can, but not being there you have to follow direction, please.

What I am looking for with the ink is a drag mark.

It looks like a machine mark left in the die

yeah, thats NOT from the lower stroke of the resizing die... being in the MIDDLE of the case... can you shine a flashlight up inside the die itself and see if theres something up in there to LEAVE that mark? And thats what it looks like *AFTER* resizing?? That mark is NOT THERE before you run it through the die, correct???

I am STILL thinking that any mark from the die is not going to hurt the brass much... but it would be nice to find the culprit... and figure out WHY its being left there to begin with...

What BRAND of reloading dies are you using...

FIND OUT if it happens AFTER SHOOTING or AFTER RESIZING... That will be important to know for SURE!!!

000.gif

• 2 weeks later...