Hey Guys, So i picked up my first Saiga at the end of Nov used from a local guy for a decent deal. Came with a 10 round mag and a T6 stock/grip combo. I was going to hold off on the conversion but after feeling the trigger I knew it needed to be done sooner. And since I'm leaving this month for basic i wanted to make sure i had enough time to finish it before i left.

The conversion cost me roughly $140 which includes the Tools i needed. And since i have access to a mill, lathe, and TIG welder at work, i did all the mods myself. I ended up using the T6 stock with the pistol grip removed since the tapco ak stock is a little shorter than i like.

Total list of Work done:
Removed old trigger parts
Removed old trigger guard
Mod bolt hold open lever for safety lever clearance
Mod trigger pin retaining plate
Mod new trigger and hammer for fitment and overtravel bump stop
Cut hole for pistol grip nut
Weld up 6 old holes, 2 from the trigger guard, 4 from the old trigger pins
Weld on Pistol grip reinforcement plate
Blend welds
Paint, and Bake cure
Parts Used
Tapco G2 Double Hook trigger set
Tapco Ak buttstock
Tapco Pistol grip nut
Hogue Ak Grip
Trigger guard Kit and drill jig from Cobra Customs (thanks again Shannon and Sandi)
The conversion may be finished, but shes far from done. I still have a few things i would like to do to it when time and money allow.
Future mods
Ak100 folding stock
Saiga Rifle Handguard or Rail system (have not decided yet)
Update sights
Extended BHO
Trigger pre travel Mod
Adjustable gas plug
large or up-swept charging handle
Door Breaching Comp
Possible SBS
And now for the photos
post-45426-0-66057400-1357525924_thumb.jpg
post-45426-0-99172700-1357526010_thumb.jpg
post-45426-0-92140700-1357526044_thumb.jpg
post-45426-0-60928300-1357526076_thumb.jpg
post-45426-0-01453900-1357526105_thumb.jpg
post-45426-0-32888000-1357526135_thumb.jpg
post-45426-0-09357900-1357526175_thumb.jpg

Edited by Aksierra
What branch of service? Good job on the conversion.

Army, going in as a 15T, UH-60 Repairer. Only doing part time, but aviation is activated quite a bit from what i hear.

some people asking about this - bumped..

Good job, nice pics!

Thanks, I have a few more pics, but they are just of the milling and stuff like that, figured id save someone the bandwidth lol

Thats what I wanted to do when i joined the Marine Corps many years ago, well not for that particilar aircraft, but as a general helicopter crew chief mechanic. But they did what most USMC recruiters do, and thats by conning me into another MOS saying my eyesight wasnt good enough. Found out later that my eyesight is indeed good enough, enough so that i met requirements to be able to fly aircraft with the USAF. But oh well.

Sorry for getting off topic. Just wish you the best of luck with basic and your military career. And dont be pulling out any "stress cards" while your there. Last I checked the insurgents and taliban dont accept them in combat. Haha.

And cant wait to see what your final build looks like

Thats what I wanted to do when i joined the Marine Corps many years ago, well not for that particilar aircraft, but as a general helicopter crew chief mechanic. But they did what most USMC recruiters do, and thats by conning me into another MOS saying my eyesight wasnt good enough. Found out later that my eyesight is indeed good enough, enough so that i met requirements to be able to fly aircraft with the USAF. But oh well.

Sorry for getting off topic. Just wish you the best of luck with basic and your military career. And dont be pulling out any "stress cards" while your there. Last I checked the insurgents and taliban dont accept them in combat. Haha.

And cant wait to see what your final build looks like

Well Thank You, And thank you for your service as well.

I made sure i got the MOS that i wanted or it was no dice. I do maintenance on small airplane engine stuff right now as my civilian job so the maintenance aspect should be pretty straight forward, but i am hoping to transition into a warrant position eventually and get to fly them.

And I have been told about the "stress cards", they may be there, but pulling them means you become the Drill Sargent's new best friend lol.

Ill be sure to keep my build thread updated.

Edited by Aksierra

Nice conversion! Did you buy yours with the polished bolt and carrier? If you get a folding stock, make sure it folds to the left. I got mine with the conversion kit and it folds to the right, covering the safety and interferes with the charge handle. Retarded design IMO. I do have a Hogue grip and love it! Locktight EVERYTHING because shit will rattle loose when you shoot it. Nice build and thank you and good luck with your Army service.

Nice conversion! Did you buy yours with the polished bolt and carrier? If you get a folding stock, make sure it folds to the left. I got mine with the conversion kit and it folds to the right, covering the safety and interferes with the charge handle. Retarded design IMO. I do have a Hogue grip and love it! Locktight EVERYTHING because shit will rattle loose when you shoot it. Nice build and thank you and good luck with your Army service.

I bought it with the stock painted bolt carrier but the paint was starting to wear off on the tip of the charging handle. I did a semi polish on it by glass beading the the carrier to remove the paint, then used a steel wire wheel to remove the frosted look. I was not to concerned about making it a mirror finish, the only thing i actually put a little more work into was where the rails ride, and on the bottom face where the hammer contacts.

Which stock did you use that folds to the right?

Ill be sure to go back and loctite any screws that might loosen up. Its my pleasure and thank you for your suggestions and feedback.