Require upgrades after conversion

Hi,

I am new to the forum and new to my Saiga 12. I just bought my Saiga 12 new last week and order a conversion kit at the same time. I have completed my conversion last night and have not fired the gun yet. Do I need to do any other required or necessary upgrades before taking the gun to the range? I have read there will be a lot of issues with FTE or FTF if I don’t change out the gas plug. Should I order one? I notice there are at least three on the market. Tac 47 auto plug, md arms v-plug and CSS have a package I can buy. I am leaning toward the Tac 47. I know there is a lot info on the forum but since I'm new, all the info seems overwhelming. I am sorry if this question has been asked before.

+1

Make sure to be on the right gas setting

, keep your ammo boxes for reference, and if you have any problems work through the steps in the link in my signature.

On some Saigas, Ivan had too much vodka or something because he screwed up drilling the actual gas ports in the barrel and sometimes aligning the gas block with the ports. You can change/adjust plugs all day long on some S12s and it wont help until you fix the (lack of gas) porting issue. I had to redrill and re align 3 new S12s now and go a little larger on the three ventholes. When new all three would only cycle reliably on high brass slug/buck.

The principal with the gas venting is to have just enough to cycle light economy rounds most like to play around with but not over pressure with heavy rounds like 3" slugs/buck.

Too much gas porting is not good even though the S12 does have a relief port between the piston head and puck. Differnt gas plug are nice in theory but some add to the issues. I have a multi- position (6or7) plug from MD arem and when indexed to the detent, It dont even line up striaght... More dremel work to fix.

Once you get a S12 tweeked, Ill run and run good. Just gotta know what your doing.

Search button and then read, read, read.

Welcome and enjoy, S12s are awesome (once dialed in).

Edited by 2armor