Virginia specific question and general 922r question

Hi all, first post but I've been lurking for a while.

I'm currently awaiting arrival of my first VEPR 12 and have 2 questions.

First, for anyone that is in Virginia and has knowledge of this:

§ 18.2-308.8. Importation, sale, possession or transfer of Striker 12's prohibited; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person to import, sell, possess or transfer the following firearms: the Striker 12, commonly called a "streetsweeper," or any semi-automatic folding stock shotgun of like kind with a spring tension drum magazine capable of holding twelve shotgun shells.

I've searched and have found a few answers either way but no consensus. Is a 12 round stick (not drum) magazine ok with a folding stock?

------------------------------------

The second question is it ok to switch the shotgun configuration from sporting to nonsporting as related to 922r?

My understanding using the gunwiki saiga 12 922r worksheet is that with just the tromix trigger group (3 922r parts), I'll be able to use hi capacity US mags (3 922r parts) and the original 5rd mags. While using the 5 rd mags, the gun does not fall under 922r rules, and while using the 10 or 12 rd US mags, the gun meets the number of parts required.

Edited by Brock_Samson

I'm in VA and I have a Vepr 12 with no problems. I thought the streetsweeper was just an evil shotgun that was illegal everywhere because it was so goshdarndedly evil. I never really researched the folding stock in conjunction with a drum. Good thing drums are not yet fully available, cause I have a folding stock on the way. You're good on the 922, that's what I'm doing + a stock for good measure

Question one; NO STREETSWEEPERS.

Question Two; YES. Switch one part, better switch enough to get to compliance.

My FFL thinks it's a bunch O shit that only applies to him and the importer, and not to me. I do not agree with him on that, nor would I take the chance.

Hope this helps.

My FFL thinks it's a bunch O shit that only applies to him and the importer, and not to me. I do not agree with him on that, nor would I take the chance.

Hope this helps.

Some venders replaced the buttstock with a U.S. one, does that mean the VEPER 12 is out of 922r ???

Hope this helps.

Some venders replaced the buttstock with a U.S. one, does that mean the VEPER 12 is out of 922r ???

My understandng of 922r is that part counts only apply to imported guns in "non-sporting" configurations. This is why the Saiga 12's came into the country with the regular riflestocks (putting them into sporting category). Recently it seems the BATF relaxed the non-sporting definition for pistol grips as the VEPR is imported with one. Adding US parts is fine as long as you don't hit the non-sporting criteria. Once that definition is met, you can't have more than 10 foreign made parts.

My 922r question was about switching from non-sporting to sporting configurations which seems to be fine as long as your part counts are correct while in non-sporting.

• Like 1