Lookin' To Do My First Build

Hey everyone so Ive been playing with saigas for a while now but i am now ready for something a little more challenging. I wanted to know if you guys could help me out and tell me everything i will need to complete my first ak build from scratch. i dont wanna stamp my reciever so im gonna get one from nodakspud.com, the "ez" reciever that fits all akm parts kits and is already heat treated and drilled for rivets. Other than a rivet kit, akm parts kit, and reciever, what other parts or tools will i need? I know it has to be 922r compliant so ill bust that with a tapco trigger group an american made muzzle device of some sort and what ever else is needed to comply. Any help is appriciated as always.

Add a US made gas piston to the list.

Tools???? Well, with a 100% receiver you don't need a bending jig and the rails will be installed with the center support rivet.

But you'll still need tools to pull the barrel from the trunion, then install it.

A press is a must have.

Riveting tool for front trunnion and rear trunnion.

Trigger guard riveting jig is nice, but it can be done in a vise.

Go/no go gages

to pull the barrel i used a tie rod puller from auto parts store. you can reinstall useing either a press with blocking in the receiver opening or a long piece of allthread will work on the cheap. rivet tool.... google pookie rivet tool, modded jaws for bolt cutters are used. <<<< Dont cheap out with the 18" ones, for the lower rivets 24" ones are easier. like i said before you can use a good vise to install the trigger guard rivets.

Tools are tools. An AK is not like a lego build AR.

Not to scare you.... an AK is simple to build.... fun to build... time and material.

Look on some other forums, this one is not really focused around building. From what i've seen, the break-even point for tools is about 4 rifles. Up to that, it is cheaper to just buy (or used to be). The other option is get on some build-orientated forums, become a part of the community, and get in on a build party. A couple guys get together and share tools and experience. The upside is you can really customize the build you want, using different trunnions for different stocks, side scope mount or plain, different barrel sizes, etc.

I was considering doing some builds myself, but the price of kits lately has gotten crazy. It was cheaper and easier for me just to buy an import and mod it how I like.

The 5.56 is the best SD and HD round in existence outside of the 12ga. The recoil is managable even by small women or teens. The weapon, mags, and ammo are extremely light so a person of ANY size/strength will feel less fatigue when carrying one vs pretty much any other platform. It BY FAR is the most accurate platform you can get for a reasonable price. Its ease of construction, and the ability to break up costs, brings people into the hobby. Consider pulling the stick out of your ass and understanding that different problems have different solutions.

Edited by mostholycerebus
  • Like 1

Calling a 5.56 round a "weak ass .22 with no balls" is very far from the truth. I dont care much for the AR platform, but I do like the caliber. With the right load, you'd be suprised how well it can perform.

Good luck with this though. I think that with the current outlook on the gun community, Id rather just invest in spare parts, mags and ammo, than to get into a complete build. But thats just me. Keep us posted on your progress.

Ok sorry captain hero. I meant the ar rifle it self was shit but youre right about the 5.56 round. Its fast and accurate I just like being able to shoot through walls with an ak rather than not. And Ive made up my mind to not go on with a build, I think i will invest in spare parts as well. Is there a match grade or a really good barrel to buy out there to have a spare? I would like to buy a barrel, front sight, gas block, hand gaurd retainer and have a drop in ready barrel for my saiga ak so i have a replacment just in case. Any suggestions?

AR is far from shit, seeing as it performs great for the intended use! And has for so long! Both rifles have their function and use. My Saiga is quite accurate, but the Ar is far more precise. Both function well to 200yds, but I would say the AR reaches a bit farther with precision. Then again for distance I love my Remington 700 7mm mag for that purpose.

Remember that the AK is a battle rifle not a precision instrument.

I do enjoy shooting my Saiga the most though!

Ok sorry captain hero. I meant the ar rifle it self was shit but youre right about the 5.56 round. Its fast and accurate I just like being able to shoot through walls with an ak rather than not. And Ive made up my mind to not go on with a build, I think i will invest in spare parts as well. Is there a match grade or a really good barrel to buy out there to have a spare? I would like to buy a barrel, front sight, gas block, hand gaurd retainer and have a drop in ready barrel for my saiga ak so i have a replacment just in case. Any suggestions?

No reason for apology. Just trying to save you from a shitstorm that can happen down the road. As for the parts, you should be able to find them as a single unit, or individually. Kvar sells complete barrels, but havent checked to see what lenth, price or availability in a while.