7n6 vs wolf vs tula vs silver bear

ammo matchup  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Which ammo do you prefer

• 7n6
    • wolf
    • tula
    • silver bear

7N6 is reliable, accurate, with good terminal ballistics. I've experienced failures with Russian commercial steel case production ammo and would only consider it for range use. The only acceptable self-defense ammo for 5.45 is 7N6 and the Hornady round.

Edited by Jim Digriz
  • Like 1

Silver Bear 5.45 is the most accurate with WPA a close second.

I have never had a failure of any kind in any Kalashnikov with Silver Bear in any of the calibers I shoot and I have never had any failure with any military or commercial 5.45 with three different Saigas.

M

Edited by m1key
  • Like 1

Come to think of it, Ive never had a problem with any 5.45 ammo. I'll go with the stuff that was made in soviet Russia, but I feel it would all perform well. I do like the offering from Hornady as well, but I cant seem to find any 5.45 at the moment.

Come to think of it, Ive never had a problem with any 5.45 ammo. I'll go with the stuff that was made in soviet Russia, but I feel it would all perform well. I do like the offering from Hornady as well, but I cant seem to find any 5.45 at the moment.

I've often been tempted to try the Hornady, but it almost seems sacrilegious to pay more than umpteen cents a round for 5.45 lol

I just bought 200rds of the Hornady today at my local shop. It was all he had left, and I said fuck it. If I didnt buy it, somebody else would have, and Id be out the ammo. I mainly bought it cuz I cant seem to find shit for it at the moment, and I aint opening my spam cans that I have put aside. Ive been on a hoarding mission for some time. lol.

I've used all but Tula. All three that I've shot have performed equally, but the Wolf and Silver Bear are both non-corrosive, which is a big plus over the 7n6. Between the Wolf and Silver Bear, I prefer the Silver Bear's zinc plating to the steel Wolf. I voted Silver Bear.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

after building a 5.45 rifle I noticed that 7n6 seems to fit it my guns just a little tighter than silver bear, thus creating a tighter head space which helps accuracy. this is why i prefer 7n6, but i like any of it i can get my hands on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Got a sweet 75 yard group today over the iron sights using 7N6. I was sighting another rifle, and decided to run a quick 3 rounds through the 5.45 (the range only allows 3rds per mag for rifles). Threw it in the rest for the first time, as I always just rest on the mag. Here's what I got:

Also, this was my first time firing the rifle after polishing the trigger group.

post-28103-0-48459500-1367119084_thumb.jpg

Edited by W8lifter
  • Like 1
Dubs likes to shoot 20 +. With his 12gauge. Makes for loud fun.

Was that quartet sized group unsupported? Because if you can see that target well enough at 75m to do that yo should shoot pro.

No it was supported by a v-notch arrangement at the hand guard, and I had my fist under the stock. Unsupported would have made use of the entire target lol.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...