Interchangeability of VEPR 12 and SAIGA 12 030 Magazines

• 3 weeks later...

YES! OEM mags AND SGM mags...

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/83528-magazine-consolidation-v12-s12/

I guess you missed the conversation. Here's another thread... http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/84212-legion-iz-447-saiga-12/

Now the question is are any available?

Edited by HighPlainsDrifter
  • Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Purchased a VEPR 10 rounder from SMG but when I fired the weapon the magazine would fall out, I noticed the magazine was not seating all the way. I attempted to file the mag to see if it would fit properly but wasn't able to make it work. On a side note the factory 4 rounder works flawlessly.

Edited by Dadio42

I don't have any SGM 030 mags but if my recollection is correct, that was their first model of magwell mags. They produced them when Legion brought in the 030's. Don't quote me, but I don't think they have a functioning LRBHO. When the Veprs came in, the redesigned their design and added a LRBHO. Both mags will fit in either a magwell Saiga or a Vepr12.

Dadio42, My guess is the tab on the mag is a bit thick and your mag catch is not fully seating. SGM has stated they need a bit of break in. Basically, the mag needs to seat a number of times to allow for the catch to fully close. If you filed on it, you voided your warranty on the mag. Are you sure the LRBHO lever isn't hitting on the rim of the shells as they come up? If the shells sit too far back this will happen. If the SGM 030 mags don't have a LRBHO slot then maybe the shells sit further back/rearward than in their Vepr mags. Again, that is speculation as I don't have a SGM 030 mag to look at.

If the SGM 030 mags don't have a LRBHO slot then maybe the shells sit further back/rearward than in their Vepr mags. Again, that is speculation as I don't have a SGM 030 mag to look at.

SGM 030 mags do have the LRBHO slot and function rather well in my Iz-447.

Really? Did they change the design. I could have sworn that they did not have a LRBHO when they were first introduced.

Left side: SGM 030 10 round Right side: OEM Russian 8 round police mag

My SGM's were bought last December. They have the "Circle-L", SGM's stamping/mold on the side that delineates them as "Legion" mags.

I don't know why SGM is marketing what is essentially the same mag under two names. All it's done it cause confusion...

post-35052-0-78439100-1366169261_thumb.jpg

Edited by HighPlainsDrifter

Well, i'll be damned, it does have a lrbho. Without having both SGM style mags in hand to measure it is hard to tell much. One thing I do notice that your SGM 030 mag doesn't have, but the SGM Vepr mags do, is the little furring hump a few inches down on the rear on the mag. The factory mags have something similar as well.

We did 1 production run on the Legion magazines based on a shotgun that Legion sent us. Then Legion changed the way they modify the shotguns, they used a different lrbho lever and tweaked a few things. This magazine was made way before the Veprs were even in the country. The mag will lock in and sometimes function in the Vepr however the reliability is suspect, some Vepr shotguns will not even function with this magazine. If you look at the different models of the Legion shotguns they call them all 030's however there are 433, 433A's and some other model. We have not produced the Legion mag in about a year and have tested them in the Vepr shotguns we have here, out of 10 shotguns a single Legion mag worked in 1 of them flawlessly the other 9 had multiple issues. See the raised section on the OEM mag that holds the mag in position? yeah ours doesn't have that so stability and locking firmly in place is a issue.

If they work for you that is great, however since Legion has made changes to the shotguns and has asked us to change our Legion mags we will not be producing that model anymore.

• Like 1

Since this post I've bought 4 of the 030 SGM magazines from the Saiga E store for the unmodified IZ-433 030 magwell. All four will seat properly but loading and feeding are another issue. I'm able to chamber one round twice and couldn't cycle the rest by hand. I opened the cover and noticed the LRBHO lever was hitting the base or the round instead of behind it. When I pushed the round into the correct position it would load but the next round would not cycle. I am contacting SGM about the magazines and going to the company that sold me the weapon for some resolution I hope. I love my Saiga but this is becoming a issue.