Got my new gas tube finally..

Hey guys so i got the ak-47 vented gas tube i was talking about earlier in the week. i filed in the correct spot (top side of the locking side) and it fits solid without the tension ring that was on the saiga tube. I took the ring off and tried it anyway on the ak-47 tube and it makes no difference so i just left it off. Is it snug without the ring because the ak-47 tube is snugger than the 74 style tubes?

I'll hazard a guess. Manufacturing tolerances are a crap shoot so you never know what will work best unless you try it. On average, it could well be that 47s fit snugger than 74s.

BTW, I could be wrong, but I'm under the impression that a looser tube will lead to a more accurate firearm, especially as it heats up. A little play in it will allow expansion without it pushing down on the barrel. A sort of "semi floating tube" if you will. The front floats a bit, so why not the back? It's just a guide anyway.

Edited by TacticoolTim

I've done enough reading to convince me that a too-loose tube will affect the accuracy just as much as an overly tight one would. If it's just snug, don't worry about it. IMO it should drop into place without much (or any) persuation, but it shouldn't be rattling once locked.

Not to mention a loose-fitting gas tube is freaking annoying.

Edited by W8lifter
I've done enough reading to convince me that a too-loose tube will affect the accuracy just as much as an overly tight one would. If it's just snug, don't worry about it. IMO it should drop into place without much (or any) persuation, but it shouldn't be rattling once locked.

Not to mention a loose-fitting gas tube is freaking annoying.

Perhaps. I don't think there is a definitive answer. I do think the tension ring spring thing is there so the tube won't be too tight but still won't rattle though.

• Like 1

ok well its solid without the spring and from what i read is that the ak-47 tube didnt really have a spring they were custom fit to each ak but the 74 tubes just had the spring cause they were better for mass production and didnt need any custom fitting. my concern is that there really isnt any free play and im wondering if that will be a problem. i shaved off just enough material to get it to fit so its pretty snug.