Bullet Guide and Mag Catch File or Wait for SGM?

I'm looking for a little input on this from more experienced operators. The way I understand things is that I have two options. I can install a bullet guide and will have to file my magazine catch and my VEPR should accept all standard AK mags but not my factory mag or I can wait and hope that SGM is able to produce enough mags at what I imagine will be $35 to $45 dollars a pop to buy up before any high capacity mag ban. The SGM mags are appealing to me because I will not have to alter the rifle but cost and time are serious concerns. Is there anything unreliable about mil surp magazines?

Is there anything unreliable about mil surp magazines?

Why would you even think that surplus mags would not be reliable? You should be asking if there is anything unreliable about non surplus mags.

ETA - make your VEPR use surplus mags.

Edited by HOG76
  • Like 1
Is there anything unreliable about mil surp magazines?

Why would you even think that surplus mags would not be reliable? You should be asking if there is anything unreliable about non surplus mags.

ETA - make your VEPR use surplus mags.

I just didn't know. Thank you for the input. I am new to this system. It looks like a thing of beauty and I'm hesitant to do anything that might ruin it.

I was wondering about that. I tried searching around for VEPR 7.62x39 mag catch and didn't find anything. Of course it's very likely I just don't know what I'm searching for or where to look. I wouldn't mind having some common spare parts on hand especially if I ended up filing too much off. Where do I get one?

Do you have opinions on the most reliable mags or ones to just avoid? I've seen the list of ones that work so I have that much information at this point.

Don't file it until you get a few magazines, you need something to test fit with while you're doing it. You'll file a little at a time and check, file a little more and check, file a little more and check, file a little more and check, file a little more and check, file a little more and check, file a little more and check.... Just when the mag catch will somewhat close but not the whole way, push it closed and force it open, push it closed and force it open push it closed and force it open, push it closed and force it open, push it closed and force it open. Do this by hand until it snaps closed all by itself...voila, you're done and it fits perfect.

When i did mine and i got to the point of it almost snapping closed by itself, i pinched the mag latch between my thumb and index finger and ran it closed and open a whole shitload with the mag in place until it fit nice and snug. It clearanced itself the remainder of the way.

The other option is to hunt down someone selling AK parts on other forums and buy the mag latch. The mag latch you'll find, will already be short enough for surplus mags. you would swap this one out for your Vepr latch and keep the Vepr latch as a spare. Which to me and 99.9% of people who have done this is a waste of time.

If your last name is Fife, or Pyle, then a contigency plan might be needed for this task and piece. But it's pretty damn simple procedure, to not fuck up.

No stress taken. Its a fairly simple process, but can be time consuming on a Vepr. You'll find an assload of info here about them. I put bullet guides in all my Saiga's and Vepr's. Its preference, but I like to run milspec mags. Dont forget about 922 when you do this. The more you know, the better off you'll be.

I will have some time on my hands anyway as I don't know if mine will come with a round or flat trunnion until it arrives next week.

Thanks again for the input. I've tried to make myself familiar with 922r as I've converted a VEPR 12. This may be a little more frustrating though as I like the furniture.