Saiga with Nikon P223 Scope

I just purchased a Nikon P223 scope from Cabelas, and set of Warne Quick Detach High Mount rings from Walmart to install on my Saiga 223 . The scope arrived Tuesday and rings today, so I installed them late today, Have not had a chance to sight rifle in by firing.

I tried sighting the scope in using a optic bore sight (not laser) , but wasnt able to do that, so I will buy a laser bore sight kit as soon as possible. I hope I didnt make a mistake by getting the High Scope rings. I must say, the eye relief is on the borderline, I chose the Quick Detach rings vs the P Mount by Nikon, because of a much better contact and secure holding method and ability to use the scope on another railed rifle. The P Mount would be better for adjusting forward and rearward on the rail however.

I could not bring into focus the optic style bore sight tool I have, it has worked fine on other rifles with much lower front sights.

If anyone uses this scope on their Saiga, and has some advice on best way to sight it in, best let me know.

IMAG0459.jpg

IMAG0458.jpg

I have the same scope ( full length 3x9x40 )on my Saiga x39 using a TWS dogleg receiver rail and a TMS one piece see through mount. I use the TWS peep sight and can use irons or the scope. I sighted in the P223 using a cheap Centerpoint laser bore sighter and made final adjustments at the range. I think the P223 is a fine piece of glass for the money.

Edited by Spacehog

I've got the exact same scope on my converted 223 with an AKMS rail. I think the rings I used hold the bottom of the scope tube 1/2" above the top of rail. That leaves about 1/8" between the bottom edges of the bells and the top of the rail.

The eye relief on the scope is such that I start to have problems if my stock is fully extended (on a CAA buffer tube-type adapter), but it becomes perfectly clear as soon as I move it in one notch. Converting your rifle to a standard setup may resolve your eye relief problems, even if you do not opt for a collapsible stock. Even NATO-length stocks tend to move the shooter's eye forward compared to the Saiga factory stock.

It's as easy to sight in as any other scope. I'd start shooting at 25 yards, get the group about 1" low, and then move to 100 yards to fine tune it.

Thank you for the advice, I had looked at many optic setups, but really liked the clarity of this Nikon, as I had been able to look at one in a gunshop. Liked the Lower magnification of the P223, as it could be used on my Ruger PC4 also, ignoring thr BDC marks.

I had also looked at Hawke scopes, the illuminated 1.25 x 4 power model, but liked the 223 designed setup of the P223. I also have another Nikon, an African Monarch, 1.25 x 4, with the German post recticle on my Remington 597 22 magnum.

LOL, no , not considering converting my Saiga, I am in the 1% that like the stock setup.