Saiga 308 at the gun show...

Ok, so we went to the big puyallup show this weekend and there was a guy there with a Saiga 308 for sale. I asked him about it, and he claimed it was new in box. Looking at the action, it looked like it hadn't been fired much, if at all. He also said it had a "scope mount" and 6 mags. (Not sure if he meant the side mount, or a muunt to go on the side mount.) Asked him the capacity of the mags and he didn't know.

So, what would you say a brand new looking saiga is worth with 6 mags?

I told him the price was a bit high and he gave me that "oh, you've been wasting my time" look and ignored me. What a jerk. I had 2-3 positive interactions with other sellers at that show, so its not all gun show dealers, but it sure seems to be more common at gun shows to deal with jerks. And really, its not uncommon for me to talk to someone, think about it for a little while, and then come back and buy it. I did that yesterday with some magazines, and I didn't even haggle, just walked off, thought about it and then bought all he had.

Anyway, Mr. No haggling was asking $585 for this Saiga 308. Was I wise to pass, or a fool because of 6 magazines included?

Anyway, Mr. No haggling was asking $585 for this Saiga 308. Was I wise to pass, or a fool because of 6 magazines included?

Well, considering you could have sold those mags at $50 apiece probably, you'd be looking at $250 worth of extra mags so the rifle would be around $335 which seems to be a decent price for a NIB Saiga.

If the new importer gets mags on the market soon though the 50 per mag would be high, I paid 400 out the door for a 20" barreled wood stocked one with a bipod. I have seen the plain jane plastic stocked 16" ones for around two fifty to two eighty, with one magazine. Guess it depends on hw much you want to pay for them. His price sounds a bit high to me.

Actually, that makes me want to drive down from Seattle to Portland to have a talk with that guy. Sounds like quite a fun conversation... assuming he can refrain from engaging in violence when he loses the argument. :-)

Anyway, thanks everyone for straightening me out on the value of the magazines. I'm so used to the $10-$20 AK mags that I don't think of 6 mags as being worth $200+. And its quite possible that I misunderstood and it came with a scope, rather than a scope mount.

Its worth pointing out that the vast majority of the people at the local gun show are pretty good, and I do tend to browse a lot. When I find something I want, I buy it, but I ask questions of people often when I'm not sure something is what I want, but also to learn about firearms I'm not familiar with. --- Yes, I've had to broaden my horizons and admit there are other worthy arms besides the AK. Most of them are good are good people, and some of them have gotten to know me cause I buy from them so often.

But the few who are gruffy are gruffy in a way that seems peculiar to the gun culture. Its kinda weird.

Edited by NoTreason4

HOLY CRAP!!!! That Saiga 308 was mine, well mine before I traded it to that dealer for an Enterprise L1A1 Fal. Here's the lowdown, I've been lurking on this board for the last 1.5 years and I bought this .308 sometime last year when EAA said they would no longer import the Saiga line. I know it's a sin to give up your Saiga but I still have an Saiga 12 left in my safe. I paid about $250 to 280 for the rifle and that's not including shipping and transfer fee. 1 magazine was included the gun and I drove to about 10 different stores and bought all the .308 mags I could. I think I bought 6 of them at average of 30 dollars. The scope mount was an orginal Saiga scope mount that I bought from the Marksman in Puyallup. In all I have about $500 or little more in it. That dealer gave me $550 in a trade-in for that FAL. So he's only making $35 bucks on the deal. Before I get flamed, I wanted an .308 rifle with a pistol grip and to get that with the Saiga, I would have to sink at least another $250 to get it converted. Not to mention the 922r parts and the wait for high caps. At least with FAL, I was able to pick up 11 inch mags at the show. Another reason I got rid of it was because RAA was going to ship the Saiga line again. So at $585 that didn't sound like a too bad of a deal, I thought that dealer was going to mark up that price to about $650 to $700. Oh by the way, I found the 7th magazine in my closet. Anyone know the going price of a 8 round .308 mag is going these days?

Thanks,

ASG

Oh...BTW..That was an unfired .308 rifle, been in my safe the whole time. If you really want it, those guys are always at the show and they will haggle. The first time he didn't want to give me what I wanted so I walked away and came back an hour later.

ASG

ok, the gun I can get for 279 if its me. the mags are another story. I TRIED to offer some mags for the 308 here, but noone wanted them, save the ebayers....I could have sold them at oh, 75 a pop, times six. no matter, but thats 279 + (5x75) = uhhhh/..//./.425+279=??

go get the mags and ebay them for profit, or get cudos for selling them at cost to you 1 per member here........up to you....feel free to donate to the forum, by the way......

HOLY CRAP!!!! That Saiga 308 was mine, well mine before I traded it to that dealer for an Enterprise L1A1 Fal. Here's the lowdown, I've been lurking on this board for the last 1.5 years and I bought this .308 sometime last year when EAA said they would no longer import the Saiga line. I know it's a sin to give up your Saiga but I still have an Saiga 12 left in my safe. I paid about $250 to 280 for the rifle and that's not including shipping and transfer fee. 1 magazine was included the gun and I drove to about 10 different stores and bought all the .308 mags I could. I think I bought 6 of them at average of 30 dollars. The scope mount was an orginal Saiga scope mount that I bought from the Marksman in Puyallup. In all I have about $500 or little more in it. That dealer gave me $550 in a trade-in for that FAL. So he's only making $35 bucks on the deal. Before I get flamed, I wanted an .308 rifle with a pistol grip and to get that with the Saiga, I would have to sink at least another $250 to get it converted. Not to mention the 922r parts and the wait for high caps. At least with FAL, I was able to pick up 11 inch mags at the show. Another reason I got rid of it was because RAA was going to ship the Saiga line again. So at $585 that didn't sound like a too bad of a deal, I thought that dealer was going to mark up that price to about $650 to $700. Oh by the way, I found the 7th magazine in my closet. Anyone know the going price of a 8 round .308 mag is going these days?

Thanks,

ASG

Oh...BTW..That was an unfired .308 rifle, been in my safe the whole time. If you really want it, those guys are always at the show and they will haggle. The first time he didn't want to give me what I wanted so I walked away and came back an hour later.

ASG

Well, it just goes to show! You never know who you'll run into on the internet.

Good thing I didn't say it was over priced, just said it was out of my price range. If he traded it straight for a FAL, I can see why he'd want that much for it. And I agree, $35 markup is not really that bad at all. (And $550 for a FAL isn't that bad either.)

I remember the first time I went to a WAC show. There was a guy there walking around with a Saiga in 308. I wanted a Saiga in 7.62 at that time (before I bought my others) and passed, but I did talk to him about it. It seemed his price was "a bit high" too-- $375, if I recall. Course then, I had only just heard about the Saiga, and didn't know what was a good price. He bought it because he wanted to convert it, but ended up not doing the conversion. I think that makes a sum total of 3 Saiga 308s I've ever seen at that show. Damn, I should have bought it!

Oh well, so it goes. Its really hard to know what a fair price is sometimes. I had no idea mags were that expensive.