It seems that every day we hear of an instance that might reasonably lead us to believe that the youth of America are hopelessly lost. But just because we do not hear them doesn't mean there aren't stories to the contrary. Here is one a friend sent me.

There is a huge rock near a gravel pit on Hwy. 25 in rural Iowa . For generations, kids have painted slogans, names, and obscenities on this rock, changing its character many times.

A few months back, the rock received its latest paint job, and since then it has been left completely undisturbed.

post-41803-0-44115600-1357943677_thumb.jpg

post-41803-0-67775200-1357943678_thumb.jpg

post-41803-0-74823500-1357943679_thumb.jpg

post-41803-0-89299000-1357943680.jpg

post-41803-0-69039400-1357943681_thumb.jpg

post-41803-0-94806700-1357943682_thumb.jpg

post-41803-0-52180900-1357943739.jpg

The artist, Ray 'Bubba' Sorensen

post-41803-0-59496400-1357943804_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

The youth are our future. They will protect us when we are too old to defend ourselves. Mentor them, accept that they may be different. They live in a different time. Just because they live in a digital age doesn't mean we can't teach them analog morals and ethics.

Take a kid hunting. Buy them a hunting knife and maybe some gear. A cheap BB gun or airsoft rifle will spark their interest more than the video games they play and you might just end up with a conservative and moral leader in the future.

• Like 3
Actually, that rock was painted that way a few years ago. Still, it's a great message, and one we mustn't forget!

There is a website for the rock and there are other photos. I'm thinking he may have painted it more than once and, it looks like he's painted other stuff too.

http://www.thefreedomrock.com/index2.php#/home/

Edited by Squishy

"Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food, and tyrannize their teachers." -Socrates.

You had it dead on about not publishing stories to the contrary.

Also "there is nothing new under the son..." -- a smart guy who is dead now.

I am blessed to have a couple of brothers whom I met when they were in their pre-teens. Started out as a mutual love of fowl, but branched out to more basic things over conversations on hunting, etc.Now, one lives at the start of the dead end road I live on. He is an adult now and will defenf the rest of us not only with his skill with firearms(which he learned to use down here) but with a chainsaw to block off road and has become a first class marksman ! Nothing like treating kids like they MATTER!! Be honest with them and treat them with the same respect that you want granted to you!
The next generation is going to be our salvation!

Edited by unclejake
he repaints the rock every year always diffrent but always honoring our vets. very cool !

I suspected this and judging by some of the photos it seems the state has made it an "attraction"...I see a shelter and picnic table.