New to forum and Saiga

Hello to all

I purchased my first AK-platform rifle last weekend- a Saiga hunter model in 5,45x39. Tried it out the next day and was able to put 5 rounds into a 4" group at 100 using the irons. I got the rifle in unfired condition from a private party it came with 300 rounds of silver bear ammo. I used some milsurp ammo for the function/accuracy shoot and I'm inpressed with this rifle's accuracy. Not sorry I bought it!

The hunter-style stock is a bit too long to be comfortable for me--I'd like to replace it with a warsaw-length buttstock. Problem is, it looks like the trigger on this rifle is farther to the rear than the standard AK74 model.

I'd like to know if there are replacement buttstocks, preferably with a thumbhole or pistol-grip out there for this model, and where they are sold. I've searched a bit but I don't know enuff about the various Saiga models to tell which replacement stocks would fit my hunter, it looks like the scout model may have the same trigger placement as my rifle.

Any help appreciated--

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

Welcome! I'm a noob as well and this place is one of the richest sources of information you can find. There are also some excellent videos on youtube. the fire control group isn't that difficult to move forward, it just takes time and patience. One thing I will recommend is if you decide to tinker and you want to keep your weapon relatively scratch free, invest in a couple of rolls of blue painters tape. Cover anything and everything you want to minimize scratches on.

I have a rifle like yours. In need of a conversion. You have two ways to go to get what you want. One, do a conversion which makes the gun likea AK74 for the rear end. Or you can find a stock that has a grip built in to it. Which means, you don't have to do any drilling or cutting. A couple screws and your set. Then if you have issues with feeding from high cap mags. A bullet guide is all you need.

I am new here as well. But, I have been doing my research so I can convert my rifle. I am just waiting for a online source to open back up so I can order what I want.

I will go and look up the stock I was talking about and post it for you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Saiga-12-Stock-Tapco-Brand-Pistol-Grip-/170969498417?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27ce938331

The second it is one I would get if that was my route to go with. It is cheap and will set you up well without painful work.

http://www.amazon.com/Shotgun-Tactical-Position-Collapsible-Pistol/dp/B005CW57ZY

Edited by ParanoidVengeance
  • Like 1

If you don't want to or feel comfortable moving the trigger group forward, there are buttstocks out there with a pistol grip that just screw on to the receiver. I think Tapco makes one, but finding it now might be difficult.

That being said, I would highly recommend moving the trigger, or having a smith do it for you. You will not regret it, and your buttstock/PG options are just about limitless.