How will current ammo shortages and pricing affect your target shootin

I have completely stopped shooting for fun, for now.

Shotgun shells are still available, along with most handgun rounds. Its .223/5.56 and .22lr that vanished and everyone is in horde mode. So my M4 is going into hybernation until I can stockpile a good amount of rounds for it. Plus reloading. Ill still be shooting my shotgun.

I have 3 boxes of clays to destroy! big_smile.gif

since all the ranges are pistol caliber only by me, i figure i'm just going to start focusing more on 22 rifles. there's alot of fun stuff to be made, and most importantly, it can still BE made since thats the only caliber i can still find parts for that arent 3x the normal price. ammo can still be found intermittently too. hi cap mags are of course, all gone

If i'm semi-consistent with looking/shopping in the early am I can always find 12GA @ Wally World (mostly slug... some 00 lately)... so the Saiga 12 get's a regular workout (got one today along with the .22's). Had to break in the new MD20!! It was funny. I shot about 200-300 rounds via the .22's (1/2 CCI and 1/2 remmy sub's), then a couple drums off the Saiga and suddenly I hear somebody further away in the neighborhood shoot what sounded like 3 shots from a .45... kinda like "I hear you..." what the heck.. maybe he meant "STFU". The "12" ain't quiet!

Anyway, I have been trying to shoot and keep up my aim as mush as possible. As of 1/1 I was cut from 40 to 20 hours/wk with my current client, but I am still in a decent enough position to be able to work on my groupings when the time fits based on what I have stocked up on in the past few years. I don't want to hold onto my stash just to see it get dusty over the years. I've been able to basically replace what I shoot to keep the stock amounts stangant.

Just curious how you guys plan to handle your AR and AK type ammo in the current situation. Will it be:

1) business as usual till you run out?

2) shooting less and less till you run out?

3) are you willing to pay the higher prices to keep shooting?

4) will you just sit on what you have till this all passes over or target shooting like we used to enjoy comes to an end and keep it for SHTF purposes)?

Thanks!

5) I will make my own ammo and shoot more than before. Hopefully I will also shoot better.

• Like 1
since all the ranges are pistol caliber only by me, i figure i'm just going to start focusing more on 22 rifles. there's alot of fun stuff to be made, and most importantly, it can still BE made since thats the only caliber i can still find parts for that arent 3x the normal price. ammo can still be found intermittently too. hi cap mags are of course, all gone

The gun I've had the most fun shooting, which also happens to be the 2nd to least expensive I own, is my Ruger 22/45. I've found that running .22lr promotes more of a desire for accuracy than my larger caliber arms. Firing the .22 isn't so much fun that I don't feel compelled to just cause devastation or empty the mag in a hurry. I take careful and well place shots and usually end up getting just what I was asking for.

I sold my GSG5, it was a POS, the design had issues. But I like where this thread is going - switch to a different caliber until this shit blows over (or up?) and .22lr is reasonable.

I am waiting for a 3 Gun Match to come to the club - I want to see if the turn out will be less since the ammo 'shortage'.

Oh yea - I will definitely start picking up brass on the range. If I don't use it, it might be good for trade..

Edited by DNR
I had not considered reloading but it may be time. Anyone reloaded steel cases or is that another topic?

That is indeed another topic but a pertinent one. I was bouncing this around with a guy who reloads a bunch (of brass) the other day. It IS doable.

Took my brother and his two boys out today and introduced them to the S12 and AK family as well as the 995TS. Shot 100 slugs, 150 9mm, 100 7.62. Have enough put away, and have 440rnds of 7.62 coming. He has'nt shot his 870 in 20yrs.

I had not considered reloading but it may be time. Anyone reloaded steel cases or is that another topic?

That is indeed another topic but a pertinent one. I was bouncing this around with a guy who reloads a bunch (of brass) the other day. It IS doable.

I know it can be done but 2 problems arise, the steel generally at the case neck cannot be flared more than once or twice without it splitting, and the berdan primers are very hard to decap without a hydraulic decapper which can be made but it is hit or miss on whether or not it works plus the effort that goes into decapping the spent casing.

Can it be done yes, would I want to do it? hell no I will pay the extra for brass that can be used several times over or ifinitely with the right load.

• Like 1

I raised some hell today with the evlblksbs and dumped a Surefire 60 through my SBR. That is one badass mag. After selling the other one, I got it free 018.gif

Edited by evlblkwpnz
  • Like 1