whats the best budget optic for a 7.62x39 saiga?

I put a Bushnell Trophy MP (ACOG clone) on my 7.62 with a Belarus QR side mount. I could flip the cheek piece of my Saiga factory sketelon stock up and it was a perfect fit. It held zero and worked thru fine at least 1K rounds. I ended up trading it because it seemed to make my rifle feel top heavy when the mag was light; after extended shooting. I'm old, not getting any stronger, so my next will probably be a light, halo type dot.

• 1 month later...

So I bit down and got myself a primary arms multi-retical cr2 sight.

For a little bit the vortex was winning out of mere availability but I didn't like a few reviews of their product. Just next to primary arms (which I've never seen a review under 4/5 stars) it kind of paled in comparison.

I really wanted the muti-retical AA model but when I asked them whn they'd hav more ready they couldn't give me an answer. So the 800hr cr2 model appealed to me. It was also quite affordable at a $108.40 shipped to my door 3 days later.

Only thing I need now is a vortex 2x or 3x screw-on magnifier. Which I cannot find for sale without buying the vortex sight. Which won't be happening.

If any of you have a vortex and don't care for the magnifier send me a message or reply to this. I will probably buy it! Lol

Also if anybody finds a screw on magnifier that has the same threading as vortex or p.a. Red dots please pop a link up here! Please! But keep in mind I'm not going to be spending more than the sight for a magnifier.

post-46210-0-85687100-1361491350_thumb.jpg

post-46210-0-04604900-1361491383_thumb.jpg

post-46210-0-86216900-1361491443_thumb.jpg

Ps I will post another set of pics when I get a riser and attempt a cowitness with MBUS sights. Right now I'm working on raising the front-most rail slightly to get a flat even pane with the back rail.

Anybody got good ideas on that or a good cheek weld riser that will work with my stock also please shoot a response. The stock is scorpion armaments.

See pics for a better idea of what I'd need.

Thanks a bunch guys.

For under 200 your best bets are the Bushnell TRS series, specifically the TRS25, and the Vortex Strikefire and Vortex SPARC. These are all quality optics and will easily withstand recoil from 7.62x39 (which isn't really that bad in the scheme of things).
Yup. I had a Vortex SPARC and actually got rid of it after 3 days. I really didn't like it on my Saiga so i bought a Bushnell TRS25 to replace it and really liked it especially for the price. Now last week i picked up a Leupold Prismatic (not in the price range you're looking at though, $600) and REALLY like that and the TRS25 is now on my AR. All in all the Bushnell is hard to beat. You have to generally spend around $100+ to get a quality optic and optics are not something to skimp on IMO.

Actually i would have sold you the Vortex magnifier if i hadn't already sold the whole thing. Beware though, adding that particular magnifier isn't going to be what you expect... they're piles of crap with about 1/4 ince of eye relief so id try to find one in a store you can actually try before you buy.

I've looked in stores and nobody in town or in Phoenix (the other big AZ city) has anything but mountable magnifiers. Myagpul sights don't leave enough room to put an additional mount and tube on top. That's why I'm looking for a screw-in magnifier. And nowhere near me has them. Thus, I ask here.

I must admit i love my POSP 8x42vd scopes.I have two of them, one for my AKM and one on the Dragunov and they have been perfect and hold up to the recoil no problem cos AK's etc are what they are designed for :)

I looked at those and hope and prayed I'd find one cheap but the cheapest I could find was a used one at $260+ship. Where I would love to have that type of optic I just can't afford it.

I landed on primary arms, they had a fantastic review set and selection. I haven't seen one of their products get a review of under 4/5 stars. The sight is crisp and clear and holds zero no problem.

Thanks for your input though guys.

So I bit down and got myself a primary arms multi-retical cr2 sight.

For a little bit the vortex was winning out of mere availability but I didn't like a few reviews of their product. Just next to primary arms (which I've never seen a review under 4/5 stars) it kind of paled in comparison.

I really wanted the muti-retical AA model but when I asked them whn they'd hav more ready they couldn't give me an answer. So the 800hr cr2 model appealed to me. It was also quite affordable at a $108.40 shipped to my door 3 days later.

Only thing I need now is a vortex 2x or 3x screw-on magnifier. Which I cannot find for sale without buying the vortex sight. Which won't be happening.

If any of you have a vortex and don't care for the magnifier send me a message or reply to this. I will probably buy it! Lol

Also if anybody finds a screw on magnifier that has the same threading as vortex or p.a. Red dots please pop a link up here! Please! But keep in mind I'm not going to be spending more than the sight for a magnifier.

I have the same optic and I love it!

If you find a reasonably priced source for the screw on magnifier, let me know. Im interested in trying one also. People have told me they are garbage, but I want to try one myself.

How do you like it? Whats your setup? I was looking at this for the small dot and included magnifier, but the talk of problems co-witnessing scared me off. The say the emitter placement makes co-witness impossible on the AK pattern.

It takes some work to get co-witness with an AK. What I may do is get a rear sight for the dust cover that sits high enough for a lower 1/3 co-witness, or just modify the stock rear sight to be taller. And then use a taller front post.

I find the stock rear sight on the M92 useless anyway. The notch is too tiny for my old eyes.

My setup will be SPARC on a Midwest quadrail. The SPARC comes with different height mounts. The rail is backordered so I'll have to wait to see just how low it will be.

Oh, and forget about the magnifier. It's junk.

Edited by Darth Saigus