New MKA owner, introduction

Greetings all. I just took delivery of a MKA-1919 yesterday. This is my first shotgun, and only my 2nd long gun. I’m a pistol guy, shooting in IPSC and IRC competition. Many of my shooting buddies also shoot skeet and/or 3-gun. I’ve tried their guns and due to some really nasty arthritis in my fingers and wrists, I found the pump action and traditional furniture to be very uncomfortable -for me- to operate and hold onto. I was going to get a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 with a pistol grip and forward grip until I saw the MKA on the cover of the CTD catalog. The AR-style platform was the solution I was looking for.

Well as we all know, after the CT school shooting, CTD suspended firearm sales and I pretty much gave up on the idea until last Saturday went I got an email from them saying they will resume sales on Tuesday. I was fortunate enough to get one along with some hi-cap mags. My FFL dealer received it Friday, but was at a gun show this weekend. He met me at his shop after the show last night and reported that he sold everything he had in hours and it was a feeding frenzy at the show with people snapping up whatever they could buy. I’ve been joking with my friends saying I caved-in to the hysteria, but in fact I just wanted a shotgun for fun & sport.

Being a competitive shooter, I cannot leave the gun stock. The Tooth & Nail forend with right-side charging handle is a must for me (I'm a lefty), as is the Firebird oversized mag button and extended charging handle. I’m sure I’ll be getting all the other mods: trigger group, piston, butt stock, fold-up sights, red dot in due course.

As a side note, I’ve very happy to see a forum for the MKA. I love forums and in fact, I literally built my motorcycle parts business from my involvement with user forums very similar to this one. I still participate these days promoting my products and just socializing with customers & friends. So I’m understandably pleased to see the aftermarket vendors servicing our gun involved here as well.

Photos coming once the mods are complete.

/Mike

Edited by BellaCorse

Welcome Aboard, you'll love the gun once you get a chance to get out there and run some rounds thru it. PS: just curious which version CTD has in their inventory. If you don't mind, what are the manufacturer stampings on the lower receiver, upper receiver and bbl. I'm considering buying another one but want to make sure CTD has inventory of the most recent version in stock and have not been able to get that information from them, because their call center is not located with their warehouse facilities.

PS: Here's mine... 922r compliant

MKA M&P

I will take this opportunity to say hello also as a new MKA 1919 owner. I also jumped on the CTD deal. Had my eye on a S12 for awhile but could not pass up the deal. Got some T&N goodies also. Ordered high cap mags from AofA and think I missed the cut off (no confirmation email yet). Looking forward to getting through the first 100.

Must agree with BC this forum has been a great resource and will be in the future. Nice to see a forum where the business members are actually active in answering questions and giving helpful tips.

what kind of MC stuff do you sell?

T&N,

I'm into cafe racers in a big way. Triumphs & Ducati's are my thing, but I've been known to caff just about anything. There's something about guns & motorcycles that appeal to the same people. Most of my shooting buddies ride. In fact there is a local club made up of sport bike riders who meet, shoot and ride afterwards. Must be the smoke and loud noise.

Trials... I don't have the balance. What do you ride? Montesa, Beta, Gas-Gas?

/M

what are the manufacturer stampings on the lower receiver, upper receiver and bbl.

Other than the ser. number, I do not see any other stampings. I have yet to take-down the gun, so if they're concealed, you'll have to wait a bit. I haven't shot it yet!

I think CTD is getting out of firearm sales altogether once they liquidate their current inventory. The MKA sold-out in 48 hours. Now considering it was a featured item on the cover of their most recent catalog, I got to believe they were sitting on a ton of them.

/M

Welcome. Please share some pictures of your coffee bikes. It is refreshing to see motorcycles that aren't bloated chunks of chrome with asynchronous heavy twins. I almost always like the cafe look, if not riding stance.

Regarding CTD

A buddy put in an order for 300(just to see how many they had) as soon as he got the email, it came back 251 available.

Yeah they went pretty quick. I'm suprised they didn't jack the price much,like they did on the mags, WOW! anyway guess they sold out of them as well.

I got a chance to shoot the gun today. I have mixed reviews. The rifle shot very accurately. I ran 40 rounds of Remington 2-3/4" rifled slugs (per my indoor range restriction). I had about a 3" group at 20yds. Last night, prior to shooting I was just getting used to the A2 sights and I dabbed a little fluoresent orange paint on the front sight post. That helped me quite a bit.

The ergonomics of the rifle are just a bit off for me. I would like the butt stock to angle down somewhat effectively lowering the contact point of the butt stock pad and my shoulder and raising the top of the gun relative to my head. My head is hanging over too much as is. If I raise the gun, the butt is too high. BTW... I'm 6'2" and a lefty.

Also disappointing was the 10rd mags falling out after 1 or 2 rounds. I've read others have had this happen and a little enlarging of the engagement hole is the solution. If someone wants to clearify, please do.

I'm cooling off on the forward charging handle idea. I found the stock handle to work just find for me, although that T&N knurled handle looks pretty cool.

All-in-all, I'm pleased with the purchase. Once I've 'made it my own' with some aftermarket goodies I'm sure I'll have many years of fun with it.

/M

I got a chance to shoot the gun today. I have mixed reviews. The rifle shot very accurately. I ran 40 rounds of Remington 2-3/4" rifled slugs (per my indoor range restriction). I had about a 3" group at 20yds.

Other than the magazine falling out, did you have any problems with feeding or extraction? Took delivery of mine a few days ago and have not had a chance to shoot it yet. I've picked up several boxes of hot ammo to help break it in.

Bill

my god that bike is awesome

Thank you my Mishpokhe. smile.png If it's old school Ducati's you like, here's my GT1000:

DSCF0764x600.jpg

did you have any problems with feeding or extraction?

None whatsoever. In fact, I found the action to be particularly smooth.

/M

Edited by BellaCorse
Regarding CTD

I'm suprised they didn't jack the price much,like they did on the mags, WOW! anyway guess they sold out of them as well.

Those ad items are called loss leaders. They sell you the gun cheap or at a loss so they can sell you some jacked up accessories to go with it. I got an email from the saying they had ar mags in and went to look, they were $130 each for a GI $10 magazine. I told them I had given them the benefit of the doubt when they closed down to "reorganize" after the shooting, but this is downright price gouging. I told them delete me from their records and don't ever email me again. Supply and demand be damned, They can keep their supply.