http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2013/01/americans-buy-enough-guns-in-last-two-months-to-outfit-the-entire-chinese-and-indian-army/

And where were all the Saigas? Was looking around for 7.62x39 and .308 Saigas a month or more before Newtown and this latest AWB scare. Got what I need, just wanted to see what they were going for. None were in stock. If you wanted one, you had to go on Gunbroker.

IZHMASH could've dug itself out of its financial problems it had had product to ship. Hope this lesson isn't lost on those guys.

They were in stock where I am at. I bought one off the shelf a week AFTER the shooting. The simple fact is people have been hoarding this stuff since Obama was re-elected, that doesn't mean they didn't produce many guns.

The second part of the equation if they did not produce more guns, is capital to ramp up production. If they were already in trouble, going out and buying more raw materials and labor would quite possibly not be realistic.

Their financial battles have been ongoing for many years and not likely to end anytime soon. I have a feeling they arent too worried about whats going on in the American market right now. But thats just my opinion. I have no way of knowing whats really going on, or on their list of priorities.

IIRC they mentioned that part of the problem was pricing structure, and that to be profitable they would need to raise prices. If thats the case, selling more rifles at a loss or break-even wouldnt necessarily have helped them. They needed to reorganize first, look at the market, look at production costs, and go from there.

It seems that if they maintained a well-stocked warehouse here in the states, they could distribute guns as needed to their retailers at the going rate. If some kind of panic was going on, they could supply the retailers at higher rates and make a buck.

What businesses are finding is that this is no longer a country where you can expect tomorrow to be much the same as yesterday. Everybody is getting jerked around by Obama and the panic of the moment. 'Just In Time' inventory management was cool when people knew what was going to happen. With what's going on now, planning for contingencies may become the rule.

But, you're right, if they're fighting for survival, they may have other priorities.

It seems that if they maintained a well-stocked warehouse here in the states, they could distribute guns as needed to their retailers at the going rate. If some kind of panic was going on, they could supply the retailers at higher rates and make a buck.

What businesses are finding is that this is no longer a country where you can expect tomorrow to be much the same as yesterday. Everybody is getting jerked around by Obama and the panic of the moment. 'Just In Time' inventory management was cool when people knew what was going to happen. With what's going on now, planning for contingencies may become the rule.

But, you're right, if they're fighting for survival, they may have other priorities.

What company in financial straits would be willing to stock pile any product which could be banned with a stroke of a pen?

• Like 1

What company in financial straits would be willing to stock pile any product which could be banned with a stroke of a pen?

One with a crystal ball, or, lacking that, one that's made big donations to Obama's campaign.

Risky, I agree. But risk is where the gains come from and it's a risk that many a LGS took. Ideally they'd warehouse them in Texas and ship them back to mother Russia if a ban is imminent. Hard to take these gambles if $ are short.

I have a feeling they're ready to get out of that market in one way or another and they're waiting for pappy Kalashnikov to kick the bucket before they make any big changes. Weren't they considering a non-AK platform but wouldn't use it because they didn't want to insult their hero?

eta: typo

Edited by XdamagedX
Wasn't their financial woes caused by upper management siphoning off profits? Or, more accurately, embezzling millions of rubles?

Who knows. To the outsider, it seems obvious that their problems are 1) lack of demand from their own military or other military export contracts. I believe their only recent contract was to provide Venezuela with an initial shipment of AK-103s and domestic production tooling. The lack of demand from AK-saturated Russia and surrounding republicans is well-known; 2) poor management of foreign markets - Izhmash sold nearly 80% of their product to the US and yet failed to construct a reliable logistics plan to get their product to the US on greater than a once a year interval; 3) lack of creativity in working around legal export restrictions to provide a product that their primary market (us) really wanted. Izhmash's other wing, Molot, seemed to find a way around this easier with their more recent products. It seems they were just figuring out creative ways to start getting more fully-featured Saigas into the US, but now the export future is even questionable.

Edited by mancat

Thanks, mancat!

I certainly hope our current regime doesn't pull the rug out from under them by banning their importation.

I think we'd all better be praying Izsmash retains the right to continue importing their product.

I still need a .308, and, 12 gauge, dammit. Hope I didn't miss the boat. (Me so punny...)

Just in time works wonderfully still. It's called creating an artificial demand. You want to have enough stock to handle the unforeseen logistics issues and bumps, but no so much your product is getting stale. Having a stocked warehouse is a dumb idea; the firearm companies don't care about meeting spike demand. You can rant all you want about "OMG, THEY'RE MISSING DEALZZZZ!" when the sheer amount of money, time, and people required to drastically change a production line vastly outweighs the profits from spike sales.

Ishmash puts their shit on a boat. I imagine, from leaving their factory, it is at least 2 months before they show up at your gun dealer. It is not possible for them to get "on this boat" and I assume that they, rightly, didn't try.

It was plain stupid. If Izhevsk (not to mention Colt, etc.) had an extra million AK's built and ready to go, knowing what was almost guaranteed to happen around election time, they could have shipped them out and sold every one as fast as they could load the trucks with them. They would already be sold, we would have a lot more AK's available and they'd have made a lot of money. Smart move there...