SGL12 and VEPR 12 initial impressions

Hey guys. Been on here for quite some time and have just enjoyed reading and learning. I feel I probably need to give back a little. So, a little background. I am an avid VEPR collector and fan with all calibers of VEPR's and barrel lengths. I really was planning on picking up a VEPR 12 when the first batch came in but I waited thinking that first runs can have little bugs and gremlins that will get worked out on the follow runs. So I waited and then all know what happened. I was able to pick up an SGL 12 at pre panic prices from Atlantic when they came back online in late december as they had a few left at the time. I kept an eye out for the second batch to come in was able to pick one up from centerfire and have it delivered within a couple of weeks.

Fit and finish:

The VEPR is what I expected. Just like my other VEPRs. Very high quality with the action much smoother than the SGL. The SGL was originally marketed as an Arsenal SGL 12 by Atlantic and after some research I am still not clear the difference between FIME and Arsenal. That being said the finish is beautiful and the over quality us very nice compared to other Saiga's I have seen at my LGS. The big difference was that action. The SGL felt very disjointed compared to the VEPR.

So After reading about the Saiga 12 saga that occurs with a lot of folks and DIY threads I went ahead and picked up the CSS reliability kit. Then I lightly sanded the contact points of the SGL bolt carrier and hammer. Cycled it about a hundred times and checked if my ports were open and how many I had ( yes and 4). This really improved the action when compared to the initial feel of the SGL. The VEPR.... I loaded it.

Ammo: Federal 3Dram, 1- 1/8 oz 7.5 shot 2-3/4 inches 1200fps target load.

So I did a limited test:

1. SGL 12 in base configuration with the original spring, original puck and gas plug on light load setting 1 FTE out of 5 shots. Not bad.

2. SGL 12 with MDarms plug set at 5, CSS puck and original spring 1 FTE out of 10 shots.

3. SGL 12 with CSS puck and MDarms plug set at 5 using the lighter spring= No FTE with 30/30 rounds shot. Shot perfect and was very comfortable.

4. VEPR 12: bone stock. 30/30 with no FTE. Shot perfect.

So the take home for my situation:

I figure I will change back to the stock spring shortly once the SGL starts to wear in and the SGL should do just fine with heavier loads. All in all I am very pleased.

Thanks again to all of the folks on the site that have given me knowledge and encouragement even though you did not know you were doing it smile.png

Disclaimer: your results may vary.

Edited by nucjd
  • Like 1

Thanks for posting you results. Just bought a converted Saiga 12 and have not fired it yet. I will remember this thread when I'm breaking it in.

Note: You know it is a little funny how people on the forum have said, "full magazine are hard to load". I say this because I loaded my factory 5 rounder, 8 round Surefire, and 10 round AGP magazines just to test this but my magazines loaded quite easily and relatively quickly on a closed bolt 015.gif . I was surprised.

So I won't be doing any internal polishing and just shoot the S12 and let natural fiction do the polishing work for me.

Can you comment on loading full magazines in your Saiga 12. Easy, hard, impossible?

Welcome Nucjd

Nice write up, but there are better approaches to getting your gun running right without having it overpowered with the 3" shells.

I got to shoot a V12 this weekend, and mostly found it to be about the same as an S12. I liked the standard good furniture and sights (although, if I owned one that rear leaf would get swapped for a peep style), and loved the LRBHO, although the LRBHO did not activate on one of my firings with a factory 8... I like the safety mod that I have done to my saigas more than the Vepr safety, but there is no reason you can't have both and be more ambidextrous.

Incidentally CostaRica your answers are also in the same place. If you were loading empty magazines then you wouldn't feel what most people were frustrated about. If full magazines, then you are doing it right. Are you keeping on target while changing your mags?

I

I

V

Edited by GunFun
Incidentally CostaRica your answers are also in the same place. If you were loading empty magazines then you wouldn't feel what most people were frustrated about. If full magazines, then you are doing it right. Are you keeping on target while changing your mags?

I

I

V

I was checking this in my home. I saw your video GunFun on this subject and that encouraged me to physically try loading on a closed bolt instead of polishing my bolt and internals right away. I had no problem. Thanks your video was perfect.

When I go to the range for my 1st shooting I'll practice staying on target and changing magazines on the closed bolt. I will see if I can do it right and report back.

Thanks GunFun, i agree with you in that setup.It would be way over powered with high brass in this configuration. It mainly was a test to see where I needed to go to get it running reliable. My thoughts are the friction of the bolt carrier interacting with the the hammer is one of the main culprits on my gun and probably needs a little more light sanding. I'll be putting the heavier spring back in which should make it safe for the heavier loads with the gas plug set on the heaver settings and in fact the SGL would eat any high brass just about down to most light loads out of the box in stock configuration based on my limited test.

The VEPR is just a hoot. It is really nice just walking out to the range and loading it up and firing not having to worry about which gas setting I have it on. DresNight, I did shoot it with the original wood stock. With the muzzle break it was very comfortable and held on target well.

Sweetcosta, I just followed the info from FunGun link in his signature. It is very helpful with every step laid out.

Edited by nucjd
Sweetcosta, I just followed the info from FunGun link in his signature. It is very helpful with every step laid out.

laugh.png You said FunGun.

I think we are lucky to have a wise forum member like GunFun. He helps everybody and isn't as critical as people like my Dad rolleyes.gif .

I am encouraged to do videos on the Saiga 12 because of these nice threads with you guys.

• Like 1
I think we are lucky to have a wise forum member like GunFun. He helps everybody and isn't as critical as people like my Dad rolleyes.gif .

I concur, the wealth of knowledge you find here is only surpassed by member's willingness to share. It makes for an encouraging DIY community.

Sweetcostarica, nice colors. Gunfun's roots stretch into Alaska as well...

Edited by HighPlainsDrifter
  • Like 1