Illinois...SBR....YEP!

Apparently a law was snuck thru that if you retain a C&R license, you can legally own an SBR in the state of Illinois as of 1-1-13.

I'm currently looking into a C&R myself. And am now kicking myself in the ass for not buying an M92 back when they were $350.

http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/2012/08/are-sbrs-legal-in-illinois.html

That's right fellas. Not only can you own an SBR in Illinois but with that C&R license, you can have C&R eligible firearms shipped directly to your residence!!

• Like 3
Dang. We need that in the upper Left corner of the lower 48!

You mean Illinois has something firearms related, in a good way, that another state does not? I'll be John Brown!

I'm thinking eventually i will SBR my IZ132 into an AK103 clone....oh yeah!

Edited by Mullet Man
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, sent off for my C&R on Jan 2nd. They billed me the 4th, hopefully I get it soon. Im thinking about SBRing my AMD65, kinda worried about being on a federal registry though.

Whats cool is if you have C&R and are in the ISRA, you qualify for the CMP and can get M1s shipped to your home!

Edited by mostholycerebus
  • 2 weeks later...

According to ATF FAQ's on C&R's, you can only modify them in certain ways, before they are no longer considered C&R firearms.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/curios-relics.html

Whats the deal with going the SBR route, do you still have to pay $200 and send in for a tax stamp?

According to ATF FAQ's on C&R's, you can only modify them in certain ways, before they are no longer considered C&R firearms.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/curios-relics.html

All that means is that I wont be able to sell any modified firearms as C&R guns. I can still sell them through private sales, through an FFL to and out of state buyer, etc. What isnt clear is if the sale goes in my Bound Book as the firearms would no longer be a C&R, but I assume the answer is YES since the whole point is so ATF can make sure we arent selling to criminals.

Whats the deal with going the SBR route, do you still have to pay $200 and send in for a tax stamp?

Yes. What isnt clear in Illinois is if a Trust can be setup to own a SBR iff all the members hold a C&R. If I had the money id get a good gun trust lawyer, get the wife her C&R, and give it a try, but i dont have the $ for a good gun trust lawyer.

• 10 months later...

I'm looking to get the C&R license as well, did you guys have any FYI's about the process? I mostly want the license to SBR my glock into a carbine with a 50 round drum, but what kind of deals have you all found being a licensed C&R holder? Places like SOG don't show inventory or prices, I'm kind of interested to see what they offer.

here's what I'm wondering, once you stop renewing your C&R license, then in Illinois's eyes won't   that make  that SBR Illegal for you to own?

I doubt ATF will be reporting defunct C&Rs to Illinois State Police. But the Illinois law states "has been issued a C&R license..." it makes no mention of whether the C&R is still valid or not. Typical shoddy lawmaking, or intentional loophole?

Current ATF ruling is that as a Trust cannot hold a C&R, trusts are no-go in Illinois.

Edited by mostholycerebus

The c&r sbr wording was snuck in by a very gun friendly gentleman named Todd Vandermyde. He has been at the front of the majority of pro firearms legislation in Illinois.

Edit; spelling

From what I've been reading, he is going to be working on doing away with the C&R requirement for SBR. Hopefully he will work SBS into it as well.  

Edited by Mullet Man

I was told by my local FFL that under Illinois law even with a C&R you can not have C&R weapons shipped directly to your door in Illinois and that you must still use an FFL for delivery. Not sure since I nver looked into it, but thought you fellas might want to check into it so you don't get screwed by the PoPo.

I was told by my local FFL that under Illinois law even with a C&R you can not have C&R weapons shipped directly to your door in Illinois and that you must still use an FFL for delivery. Not sure since I nver looked into it, but thought you fellas might want to check into it so you don't get screwed by the PoPo.

That contradicts everything I have read from C&R holders, on icarry.org.

Sounds like your FFL doesnt want to lose his transfer fees. I have had C&R firearms shipped to my door, as have many others.

• 1 month later...