Thats what I get for being responcible, now I'll never get my Saig

UPDATE! I am now the proud owner of a brand new, BEAUTIFUL, Polish under-folding AK.

I told myself that the rifle needed to wait. New career, trying to buy a second house, other important things. I let the rational side of my head tell me to wait. I decided that my first big bonus check was going to be when I bought the rifle.

I receive that first bonus check tomorrow, and I just.... I cant justify spending over $1000 for an unconverted Saiga.... However, if I dont buy it now, I may never get to have one!

Even if I purchased online, I would have to pay shipping, state sales tax, and the FFL fee. v.v

Edit for clarification:

I am not at all wealthy, nor do I have a family to defend. I am a 22 year old man who is trying to invest in homes while the market is correct to do so. Retrospect? I should have invested in AKs! I do have a few firearms already, including my converted S12.

Other important things speaks towards possible a more fuel efficient vehicle than my $1700 Jeep (50 mile commute each direction) and the second investment home. I re-read my post and I kind of sound like a douche.

Also, the weapon I want would be some form of AK variant, chambered for 7.62x39.

Edited by TheJoe90

Just get it. You'll be paying a few hundred dollars over what you would have paid a month ago sure, but take care of it & you should have it for the rest of your life.

I'll bet you've thrown away a few hundred dollars on much more stupid things in the past. Find a way to deprive yourself of something you spend money on now, but is not a necessity, until you make the $300 back (eating out, going out for drinks, etc).

• Like 3

You can score one, but only much higher than you were hoping to pay. Gunbroker may be your only option at this point, and its only worth to you, what your willing to pay. Id get it while you can, and eat the price cost difference.

• Like 3

I agree that it was a serious mistake to not have a rifle by now.

The only way to fix that is to go buy one, so what if it's a few hundred more than it was 6 weeks ago.

What is more important to you, $1000 of worthless fiat currency or a rifle to defend yourself and your family?

As Captain Hero said, plenty of stuff on Gunbroker.

Edit: I went back and read your post again and I see this "trying to buy a second house, other important things".

I have no sympathy for you dude. You have plenty of cash if you are looking at second homes. You have no reason to not have a rifle.

Edited by Spartacus
  • Like 4

I agree with the others that you should probably just go ahead and get one now that you have the cash in hand. But I also give you kudos for waiting and doing the responsible thing. I know quite a few people that have maxed out credit cards and have put themselves in a financial bind to buy firearms and ammo. Gun's are nice, but not when your in danger of losing your home or your family is struggling because of your purchases.

It could go either way. If an AWB doesn't make it through, there are going to be alot of cash strapped folks looking to unload their recent purchases. That is what I am hoping for. However if things do go south, at least you'll have that rifle that you have always wanted and will appreciate more because you bought it responsibly with your priorities in the right order.

• Like 2

The gun will be worth more later, guaranteed. Maybe not next week, next month, or next year, but a decade down the line its gonna have paid for itself as an investment, so its worth it. Plus, when the dollar fails, as it seems it must do, inflation will make that 1000 dollars relatively worthless, but the gun will go up in relative value versus other things. If i had the cash, i'd buy as many as possible!

• Like 2

Get a fucking battle rifle!
Just get it, and a shitload of ammo.

Think about it.... If there's anything in this world that you'd really be bummed not to have if you needed it, what would be more urgent?

(here's a tip though... RPKs are actually going cheaper than Wasr AKs on Gunbroker at times, because non gun-people don't know what they are)

I shit you not on that one.

• Like 7

Think about it.... If there's anything in this world that you'd really be bummed not to have if you needed it, what would be more urgent?

(here's a tip though... RPKs are actually going cheaper than Wasr AKs on Gunbroker at times, because non gun-people don't know what they are)

Thanks Pauly, I think you convinced me that I buy a new weapon tomorrow. Even if its over $1000 v.v

For the record yall, I figured I would invest in homes while the market is still down, so I have been working towards that instead of spending money on much of anything else. Also, by the way, I have no family. No other plans. In fact, the biggest issue I have is that spending more on a weapon than what the vehicle I drive costs, just doesnt make sense.

The hunt begins.

• Like 3
I dont really see them getting any cheaper. And Pauly pointed out a good thing to look into with the RPK.

Im a college student and ive dumped about 2K since the shit hit the fan for guns I didnt have and wanted but Im sooo happy I got my M4. Fuck my savings lol. If the misses gives you slack about it, just let her shoot your new toy and she'll forget she was ever mad.

Just make sure you can buy ammo for the platform you choose. .223/5.56 is all but impossible to get right now...anger.gif

Edited by Viper84
  • Like 2

I might go against the grain but I would NOT pay $1000 for an unconverted Saiga rifle.

K-Var still has several Vepr rifles in stock for significantly less than $1000.

In fact, they have them in 5.45x39 ($689) and .223 ($729).

I would much rather pay those prices for a Vepr rifle than $1000+ for an unconverted Saiga. Less work has to be done to the Veprs as well.

Keep trolling vendors. I scored a saiga 7.62 last week.

I got lucky and happened on to them at j&g . I almost hesitated over the price.( $300 over prices @ this time last year.) But in this climate I just did it. almost all their AK's were gone in less than an hour.

I'm thinking classic should be getting some in soon. they have been out of stock for a while now. get on their notification list.

I dont really see them getting any cheaper. And Pauly pointed out a good thing to look into with the RPK.

Im a college student and ive dumped about 2K since the shit hit the fan for guns I didnt have and wanted but Im sooo happy I got my M4. Fuck my savings lol. If the misses gives you slack about it, just let her shoot your new toy and she'll forget she was ever mad.

Just make sure you can buy ammo for the platform you choose. .223/5.56 is all but impossible to get right now...anger.gif

A good buddy of mine just bought a mini 14, he was so happy until he found out he couldnt get mags or ammo.

Good luck on your search man. Like it has been said, you will pay more now, but you will have it forever. And hopefully when you die it will be legal to leave to your kid.

Thanks Pauly, I think you convinced me that I buy a new weapon tomorrow. Even if its over $1000 v.v

For the record yall, I figured I would invest in homes while the market is still down, so I have been working towards that instead of spending money on much of anything else. Also, by the way, I have no family. No other plans. In fact, the biggest issue I have is that spending more on a weapon than what the vehicle I drive costs, just doesnt make sense.

The hunt begins.

Well, since your hunting, why not release the hounds and tell us all what caliber you are interested in? Someone here at a Saiga forum might have a great lead on a decent priced Saiga

I feel ya man. With the economic climate, there are a ton of us that are cash negative. I too have been trading my hard earned, non stretching, dollars for something more wise.

Guns are a long term investment. Provided you take care of them you would be hard pressed to lose money on them.

At first I was thinking that the current panic market was just a lot of hype, and that things would return to a level of normalcy once the elections were through, and the hysteria of the CT shooting died down. Nope, I've changed my thinking. Things only go up from here.

Edited by slippingaway

Keep your eyes on Atlantic. They aren't as gouging as most places and if you want something and try to purchase it you can add yourself to their list. They have a MA legal Arsenal 5.45, don't have the money for it right now but if I did, I'd be on that list. That is if they have any in stock.......

I edited my first post for clarification.

This is so helpful. Im going to troll gunbroker and I am going to call every FFL near me tomorrow. Pauly, thank you. If a ban goes through, are you still going to do glass bolt for all the weapons already in circulation?

deals are out there. i just sold a cleanly converted saiga 308. with 100 rounds down the tube on gb for 700$ so you can find them just keep looking

This is helpful. Thank you! I had almost lost hope!

Well.... Gun prices seem to be on the rise faster than house prices.

I might go against the grain but I would NOT pay $1000 for an unconverted Saiga rifle.

K-Var still has several Vepr rifles in stock for significantly less than $1000.

In fact, they have them in 5.45x39 ($689) and .223 ($729).

I would much rather pay those prices for a Vepr rifle than $1000+ for an unconverted Saiga. Less work has to be done to the Veprs as well.

I had absolutely no idea that Vepr 5.56/.223 weapons could still be had! Im looking for 7.62, but that is wonderful info to have, thank you so much!

The hunt begins.

Well, since your hunting, why not release the hounds and tell us all what caliber you are interested in? Someone here at a Saiga forum might have a great lead on a decent priced Saiga

I cant believe I had not posted which one I was looking for in the OP. I have fixed it. I am not completely dedicated to finding a 7.62 semi auto, thanks for the help getting my head in the right place!

This forum is awesome.

This is so helpful. Im going to troll gunbroker and I am going to call every FFL near me tomorrow. Pauly, thank you. If a ban goes through, are you still going to do glass bolt for all the weapons already in circulation?

Yeah.

Worse case scenario, I can do on-call psychiatric work monitoring violent psychotic patients 1:1 to fill in the gaps.

I kept my medical licences current because I like to remain versatile in a constantly shifting economy.

Might have to up my fees, but I kinda need to do that anyhow to slow business.

• Like 1

Yeah.

Worse case scenario, I can do on-call psychiatric work monitoring violent psychotic patients to fill in the gaps.

Might have to up my fees, but I kinda need to do that anyhow to slow business.

Good, I have known I want to have my S12 done by you since before I purchased it! I have it running stupid smooth these days, but having you *adjust* the bolt would just make it that much better.

If you look at local shops you may get lucky and find one at a decent price. They just showed a local shop on the news here and their walls were still half full. I was at that shop two weeks ago and they had a Legion converted Saiga 12 on the wall for $979. So call around and look to see what you can find then watch the vendors on here for magazines they are even harder to find!

If you look at local shops you may get lucky and find one at a decent price. They just showed a local shop on the news here and their walls were still half full. I was at that shop two weeks ago and they had a Legion converted Saiga 12 on the wall for $979. So call around and look to see what you can find then watch the vendors on here for magazines they are even harder to find!

/\ /\ This

Im gonna get flamed for this probably, but......I think you were doing the right thing. No one could have predicted this shit storm. Who knew last month that before new years there would be a deficit of 223, 308, x39, 5.45, 9mm, mags, guns..etc...etc...hell some stores are even out of .22!!

On the other hand you were being responsible and planing out your financial future. And thats pretty damn adult of you especially at 22 years old. Most people under 25 are still pissing away their weekly paychecks at bars, clubs, on cool cars and expansive clothing. Shit, I know people over 30 who still act like this. IMO you were doing the right thing. Yes its true now you'll pay more for a rifle you could have had 6 months ago for 1/2 the price or less but in the long run that 1 extra rifle isnt gonna make or break anything

• Like 2

Regret is useless just move forward.

We were predicting this shit storm YEARS ago. A crap load of folks even here snickered that no way was BO gonna do anything... well?

We didnt know when or what but we did know it would happen. Kind of like predicting rain eventually it would happen.

Putting together a MBR with mags and ammo now? Damn good luck man.