.223 bullet availability

Does anyone know of an in stock source for .223/5.56 bullets? I just got a back in stock notification at Everglades, but they are $259/1000. The last case of finished rounds I bought was only 300. I may end up waiting to see if pricing comes down once all the craziness ends. At this price, and supplying my own brass that is ~.36 rd doing my own reloading. I should also add, that these are standard grade FMJ, which is what I am looking to reload for range practice and plinking.

Edited by Spacehog

Liberty, they still have them online. What's your opinion? Do you think they will come back down or do think this is a permanent uptick? I have plenty of .223 stored so I can shoot regularly for a while without reloading this caliber. However I don't want to miss the boat either if it is going to take a few years to stabilize. I am new to reloading so I have not paid attention to historical pricing on components. What did they do a couple of years after the 1994 shortage? Did they come back down or stay elevated.

Liberty, they still have them online. What's your opinion? Do you think they will come back down or do think this is a permanent uptick? I have plenty of .223 stored so I can shoot regularly for a while without reloading this caliber. However I don't want to miss the boat either if it is going to take a few years to stabilize. I am new to reloading so I have not paid attention to historical pricing on components. What did they do a couple of years after the 1994 shortage? Did they come back down or stay elevated.

All of my regular online vendors are out. Primers are always my biggest concern, and again my vendors are out. Your right it was about two years. But, the war on terror was in two major theaters of operation. Prices came down, but not as low as it was. Ammo flow improved when we pulled out of Iraq. Prices will come back down, but will probably be higher than they were due to the failing dollar and inflation. I'd say if you are in good shape ride it out a while. If you find deal snatch it up. With the draw down in Afghanistan supply to the military will be reduced so we should see more ammo again. If the military isn't buying it there should be more for citizens to purchase. We may even see military surplus again in the next year or two, but it'll be more as well due to inflation. Prices keep going up on everything as a result.

Reloading will still be more affordable than loaded ammo even with inflation.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...