Hammer install spring trouble

Using the factory spring on a RSA FCG and everytime I go to load the spring and hog tie it at the face of the hammer (per the CSS video), the part of the spring that goes over the back slides off the back and wedges itself on the side.

Is there a way to tie the back of the spring on to keep it from slipping?

20130117_120554.jpg

Edited by sean8642
Are u using a punch in the opposite side to line the BHO up with the holes? I had the same problem installing my hammer and spring. It seemed like the factory spring was just to big.

Yeah, the punch kind of work, but it's off the tiniest hair so it just won't budge. 30 minutes of messing with this dang pin, I'm giving up on it for now.

Guess you ruined your gun... I'll pay you $600 for it.

Mine is a Tapco hammer, but it is really tight and must be wiggled for a while while pushing on pin. It's a finesse thing. Keep trying and push in the direction the pin needs to move. A twisting motion works for me if I recall...

Once it's on, hold it in place until it is locked in. Stinks when it falls out right after it's in... Good luck!

20130117_154043.jpg

It's JUST out, ughhhh

Look under the pin head when your pushing into the receiver. There is a shoulder for the lock plate or shepherds hook locks on to. This maybe catching, wiggle the pin.

I'm actually past that little shoulder.

Edited by sean8642
I wonder if the RSA hammer needs to be ground down a little on the side where the axis pin goes through, it's all the way against the BHO and it seems real close to the other side, maybe that shoulder is hitting the side?

My guess would be that your assessment is correct. The little bit of metal thickness of the BHO lever can make a big difference as to how the hammer fits. When installing my JARD Trigger System, I needed to ever-so-slightly shorten (file down) the right side hammer pin sleeve in order to accommodate the thickness of the BHO lever.

But this is all a guess on my part. . . not gospel. Good luck!

Edited by Gary
  • Like 2
I wonder if the RSA hammer needs to be ground down a little on the side where the axis pin goes through, it's all the way against the BHO and it seems real close to the other side, maybe that shoulder is hitting the side?

My guess would be that your assessment is correct. The little bit of metal thickness of the BHO lever can make a big difference as to how the hammer fits. When installing my JARD Trigger System, I needed to ever-so-slightly shorten (file down) the right side hammer pin sleeve in order to accommodate the thickness of the BHO lever.

But this is all a guess on my part. . . not gospel. Good luck!

Thanks, I will take it all apart again and try this (will compare to stock one).

So it is too thick, next question would be, where to take away metal, BHO, flat side of hammer, or shoulder side of hammer. I'd assume shoulder side would be bad because the recess area can't be taken down anymore without screwing up the recess.

No don't take any off off the safety.

Take the trigger out and put in the safety, then put the trigger back in. On the G2, you can pull the trigger back, but the RSA does not look like there is enough room.

It has adjustment screws, maybe if I back those out? I don't see how it's possible to put the safety in before, I have the plate, so then it would interfere with putting the trigger axis pin back in.

Read this from google on random forum.

"I got a Red Star on my SA M-7 and to be able to adjust it is cool, but it may require some removal of material from the safety tab."

I don't know, let me read the 3 pages of stereo instructions from RSA

Edited by sean8642

When you pull the safety out about halfway you can get it angled inside the receiver. Do that with the safety lever down and in back of the trigger. Put the trigger back in, straighten up the safety and put it through the lockplate.

Kind of hard to explain.

PS it's bedtime for me. If ya don't get it, hopefully a smart person will come along big_smile.gif