I've fired them out of a break-action 12-gauge without a problem. I doubt it would be an issue in any other shotgun, considering they're meant to be fired out of a hunk of plastic.

Of course, it could go without saying it won't cycle any semi-auto.

They're certainly not any sort of danger from a pressure standpoint.

The risk comes in if the flare that's intended to exit just an inch or two of plastic barrel gets stuck in your long-barreled shotgun, or perhaps at the choke, and the incandescent flare keeps on burning away there, and the heat ruins the temper of the metal.

The risk of that happening is low, and it's hard to say if such a thing happening would really ruin a shotgun barrel for sure, or just cause some cosmetic damage to the color of the finish where the flare got stuck.

• Like 1

also those shells are about 1.5" long? so they won't even cycle from a magazine into the breech. You have to hand drop them in a open chamber. I would try them in a regular shotgun for emergency. Be aware the 'bullet' is a aluminum shell - not brass, copper, or plastic, - so not sure how that will scuff up a barrel. Take one apart ; ) I believe some will not even have any gun powder, just primer. emergency use...Although now I want to fire off a 20 round drum of 12ga flares ....haha.gif

Edited by DNR
  • Like 2