does a 10 round magazine make it illegal?

My guess is the answer to this question is yes. But I can't find anything definitive. If you do anything to the gun to make it tactical, it then has too many foreign parts, and is illegal. Since it could only ship with a 5 round magazine, I assume a 10 round magazine makes it tactical. If all this is true, does it make the gun illegal as soon as I put the magazine in it?

I'm not an attorney, but my understanding is possession of both the 10 rd or larger magazine and a weapon that can use it is illegal.

The good news is there are sufficient aftermarket parts out there that you can make the "922 conversion" for just over $100.

Example:

Trigger/Disconnector (considered 2 parts) $25

Hammer $25

Gas Piston $35

Magazine Floorplate $25

Depending on who you talk to, you may need only 4 of the above to get legal. Some others feel 5 US made parts is required.

Bill

Right, I knew about the 922 conversion, just wasn't sure if the magazine itself made the gun illegal. I just posted the same question about a charging handle on another thread, where they called it tactical.

Also, you wouldn't need to replace the magazine floor plate on the 10 rounder, because it is American, correct? That counts as 1 of your parts already.

Edited by Madwand
Right, I knew about the 922 conversion, just wasn't sure if the magazine itself made the gun illegal. I just posted the same question about a charging handle on another thread, where they called it tactical.

Also, you wouldn't need to replace the magazine floor plate on the 10 rounder, because it is American, correct? That counts as 1 of your parts already.

The factory 10 rd magazine is all foreign parts so that one would need a new floorplate. If your 10 rd magazine is one of the Firebird Precision conversions for 10 rds, then the American made floorplate will count.

Note that noncompliance does not make the firearm illegal, its possession of the firearm and large magazine that is illegal.

The charging handle is not one of the 14 components that are counted as "foreign parts", so changing it out does nothing to help with the count.

The following link may help.

http://www.gunsumerreports.com/review_akdal_mka_1919_p7.php

I DO NOT encourage anyone to be 922 non-compliant.

I asked our ATF investigator about this very subject, this was before Sandy Hook .

She said "To my knowledge we have NEVER charged anyone with a 922 infraction, UNLESS it was an additional charge added to charges from a criminal act".

Take that for what you paid for it.....and refer back to my first statement.

The only parts I know that are avaiable

trigger & disconnector (2 peices)

hammer

forend (handguards)

Operating Rod (if you get your forend from firebird it comes with a new one)

mag base plate (just make sure that if you cut the stock off you have enough parts on the gun if not using mag with this)

gas piston

lower receiver (firebird)

The batf states there is 14 imported parts on this shotgun.

upper receiver, barrel, lower receiver (complete with buttstock and grip), bolt, bolt carrier, operation rod, gas piston, trigger, hammer, disconnector, handguards, mag body, mag follower, mag floorplate

You need to replace 4 of these parts for 922r compliance.

I DO NOT encourage anyone to be 922 non-compliant.

I asked our ATF investigator about this very subject, this was before Sandy Hook .

She said "To my knowledge we have NEVER charged anyone with a 922 infraction, UNLESS it was an additional charge added to charges from a criminal act".

Take that for what you paid for it.....and refer back to my first statement.

Three of the parts to change on the way to 922 compliance is the trigger, disconnector and hammer. Even if I wanted to keep my MKA appearing stock, I would still change out those three parts just to replace the crappy plastic trigger that comes with the gun. Just add the $35 gas piston and you are legal.

In my case, when I'm done, I should be down to 8 foreign made components, and that's just until someone comes out with US made followers. No sense in taking chances. [replacing hammer, disconnector, trigger, gas piston, floorplates and handguard]

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

change out as many parts as you can. it's an expensive gun what's another couple hundred bucks?

that said, from what I understood a full US mag counts as 3 parts, body, follower and baseplate...

so at some point with this model receiving more popularity it only makes sense for SGM, AGP or Promag to produce some for it.. so I would say what type of mag you were using would also make a difference. I would also think you could make a s12 mag baseplate somehow work on the mka mag? I would imagine they're similar in size?