Dents in my cartridge shoulder

Hi guys,

Long time no see. I recently got wind of an explanation of why I sometimes see my cartridge shoulders dented. I think I'm headed toward filing and polishing some of the hump on the extra 3rd bolt lug.

I've read as much as I could find here and elsewhere online. I'd like to know what the purpose of that hump is. I think the answer is that it's there to absorb the repeated hits from the next cartridge in the mag, protecting the bolt lug from being hit instead. Am I missing something? I would like ya'll's thoughts on this.

It's more likely that the charging handle is hitting the case on ejection OR the case is hitting the top cover on it's way out. Sometimes, it's both. Either way, this is common on AK platforms and doesn't render the brass non-reloadable. Just ugly

Macbeau sends....

Edited by macbeau

Norm I have heard some people use a valmat ejection port buffer to help prevent the bent in the brass. But since you cant find one at this time, I am working on a diy part to do the same thing. Its basically a metal clip that slips over the top cover but the catch is, it will be covered with a rubber covering. Hopifully it will work!

S5snake,

Yes and I had read your post earlier. Thanks for a damn good post, thread and first rate photos. My dents are more like deep scratches but there's been a couple I had to throw away - and that's dryfiring by hand. The real test I have not done yet is to actually fire the top round (right side of the magazine) and eject the second one to inspect.

I'm thinking that hump your photos point to is the one to carefully file sharp back edges and corners smooth and polish like liquid chrome. I'm also thinking the purpose of this hump is to protect the 3rd (extra) bolt lug. I'm looking for confirmation before I jump in.

Thanks very much for the replies.

I heard on another forum that this was an intended design feature to render brass non-reloadable (in a military situation, they didn't want to give supplies to the enemy)...even though, as stated here, most shells can be reloaded.

Yea, I read that post too but I don't think that can be true because the cartridge is dented before it's fired and is "sized" out when fired. I'll bet many Saiga owner's are unaware they have this problem. I've had my Saiga for a few years now and I'm just now really looking in to it.

I polished just the sharp edge of that third lug and that resolved the problem. I didn't disturb the face of it nor would I suggest to do so, just the sharp edge.

Thanks for the info.; the less work done the better. However, I am tempted to polish the top of it. It seems that it would make its travel smoother. But I will just smooth the sharp edges first and see how that improves the situation whle dryfiring. I can always do a little more incrementally. I'll be using the gunsmith's neglected friend - whiteout, to help see the points of contact.

Is there some more info. you can provide as to why you advise not disturbing the face or top of this 3rd lug bump?

Thanks again for all the replies.