Just did a test of slugs, and some non-slug rounds, to determine, primarily, the optimum setting of the DPH gas

plug for each model tested. Because of questions I have received on another thread where it would have been

off-topic I realizing the info may be useful to some of you, I posted it here. The data derived from the test is shown

on the attached document.

The document is an .rtf type and is readable by most word processing programs and text editors on Windows, Mac,

Linux, Android, etc. It is formatted for 'Landscape' viewing with .5" top and bottom margins and 1" left and right

margins. If it looks really horribly wrong on your screen, PM me with the info and I'll try to accommodate you.

It is my intention to provide a follow-up test to clear up the unresolved aspects of this one; group sizes, terminal

ballistics, reduced force impact of the bolt carrier on the return-spring guide, etc. I may also include a couple more

higher-power rounds I didn't have ready in time. Then, at some point in the near future, testing of custom-developed

loads using maximum load slugs.

If there is something not clear to you, post it, and I'll try to explain. If there is a function you would like to see included,

post it, and I'll see if I can add it on the next test.

Slugs Test2.rtf

• Like 1

Big John! - Our thoughts and prayers go out to that 2X6 and its family in this, their time of need. When we hear about all the lumber

out there being cut down in the prime of its life, reduced to splinters, to satisfy the twisted fantasies of people like you, we realize

something must be done. Lumber has rights, lumber has feelings, lumber has a potential future that should not be truncated. I say,

my fellow Americans, let's put an end to the senseless sacrifices lumber is asked to make. Yesterday it was milk jugs, today its lumber,

tomorrow it might be our abandoned cars, and the escalation continues. Where do we draw the line? When I was growing up in a

totalitarian country, there was a saying "Guns don't kill people, baseball bats and kitchen knives do" (only police while on duty, and

military officers above Lieutenant could carry a firearm, and even talking about guns could get you arrested for suspicion and

'subversive activity" and all that would entailed). Please, next time you see some poor 2X6 sitting there, just begging for it, be the

better man... just report it to the proper authorities who will always do the right thing in the most timely manner.

GunFun - Most of the data WAS filled in... Did this one come in blank for you, or did you mean the remaining data that will be included

in the next test? I do have pictures... I will try to post them ASAP

Risky - Yees! it was a very good word... and I'm sure he knows others too. I think Mr. Rogers would have approved... I do.

• Like 1

LBB, I have to wonder if you posted this due to you being angry at me for posting a much more detailed, scientific, slug test than yourself?

That said, in an effort to keep a friendly forum and take sound advice from my peers… From this day forward, I vow to only destroy 4x4's. smiley-violent069.gif

• Like 1
Big John! - Our thoughts and prayers go out to that 2X6 and its family in this, their time of need. When we hear about all the lumber

out there being cut down in the prime of its life, reduced to splinters, to satisfy the twisted fantasies of people like you, we realize

something must be done. Lumber has rights, lumber has feelings, lumber has a potential future that should not be truncated. I say,

my fellow Americans, let's put an end to the senseless sacrifices lumber is asked to make. Yesterday it was milk jugs, today its lumber,

tomorrow it might be our abandoned cars, and the escalation continues. Where do we draw the line? When I was growing up in a

totalitarian country, there was a saying "Guns don't kill people, baseball bats and kitchen knives do" (only police while on duty, and

military officers above Lieutenant could carry a firearm, and even talking about guns could get you arrested for suspicion and

'subversive activity" and all that would entailed). Please, next time you see some poor 2X6 sitting there, just begging for it, be the

better man... just report it to the proper authorities who will always do the right thing in the most timely manner.

GunFun - Most of the data WAS filled in... Did this one come in blank for you, or did you mean the remaining data that will be included

in the next test? I do have pictures... I will try to post them ASAP

Risky - Yees! it was a very good word... and I'm sure he knows others too. I think Mr. Rogers would have approved... I do.

I meant your groupings. I wanted to see what is giving you the best accuracy.

Big John! - That was meant to be a tongue-in-cheek kind of thing to try to offset some of the tense retoric going on about

firearms, and the political posturing. If it came across as angry in any way, I am deeply regretful at the exact opposite of my

intentions and most sincerely apologize for my lack of talent at being humorous... Now, I wasn't aware of your posting on

slug testing and, if you would be so kind, please, send me a link.

GunFun - OK, Got it. Yes, It was a letdown to spend an entire day, including traveling to the range and back, and not fully

accomplish my objective. I am sure you would agree that if I suspected my targeting to be flawed, any data derived from

its use would not be trustworthy. My scope assembly was not rigid enough and I have already started working on that issue.

Here are some pictures:

bench1 and bench2 show the testing setup

impact shows the placement of the cardstock pieces used to gauge relative force of impact

rubber1 and rubber2 show the Lightfield rubber slug unfired, recovered after hitting a tree, and the

effect on the tree (dimpling of the soft bark but no penetration - possibly equivalent to a bruise from getting punched)

600_grn shows the Lightfield Commander IDS box, shell

, slug assembly, and components

gualand1 shows the original Gualandi slugs as sold by Dan Arms from Denmark to the US market

gualand2 shows the newer Gualandi slugs as sold by Ballistic Products under model # 0721612 and called 'Dangerous Game Slug"

sauvestr are French slugs that eject the encasing sabot after clearing the bore and the dart-like vanes (fletching) stabilizes the slug in flight

wetpack is a slug (I forgot which one) recovered from an older test into wet pack. Notice the nearly doubling in size and minimal fragmentation. This would have created an enormous 'wound cavity' and, presumably, unsurvivable hydrostatic pressure damage to internal organs, and a huge exit hole for tracking if necessary.

Neither the Sauvestre Balle Fleche or the Dan Arms will be included in future tests because I don't have enough left for that. The newer Gualandi's will be included, as well as the Hammerhead-style IDS when I develop for the brass shells.

Pictures will be spread over multiple posts because of size limits

post-45364-0-29166800-1358878044_thumb.jpg

post-45364-0-16538600-1358878130_thumb.jpg

post-45364-0-96672000-1358878207.jpg

post-45364-0-75253500-1358878258_thumb.jpg

post-45364-0-64151700-1358878320_thumb.jpg

post-45364-0-59763200-1358878363_thumb.jpg

post-45364-0-62057800-1358878398_thumb.jpg

Big John! - That was meant to be a tongue-in-cheek kind of thing to try to offset some of the tense retoric going on about

firearms, and the political posturing. If it came across as angry in any way, I am deeply regretful at the exact opposite of my

intentions and most sincerely apologize for my lack of talent at being humorous... Now, I wasn't aware of your posting on

slug testing and, if you would be so kind, please, send me a link.

GunFun - OK, Got it. Yes, It was a letdown to spend an entire day, including traveling to the range and back, and not fully

accomplish my objective. I am sure you would agree that if I suspected my targeting to be flawed, any data derived from

its use would not be trustworthy. My scope assembly was not rigid enough and I have already started working on that issue.

Been there done that- Got a scope zeroed, let a freind try it to see how accurate simple slugs could be. He decided to push the scope forward with his eye socket and actually broke the mount.

Also spent about 4 hours doing the filming of testing to measure effect of variations in muzzle break comps and broke the test rig early on thus skewing all data developed. Spent a bunch of time trying to edit and salvage the footage, but found my computer couldn't handle the software I was trying to use. Project is now about a year behind intended schedule. I feel that I have been letting down Tapeworm for not giving him good data after all this time.

PS, I will be looking back through your sheet with interest. I am curious to see how you did with those lightfeild and Gualandi aka DGS slugs. I thought the lifhtfeild were intended only for rifled barrel though. B&P sometimes has loads for sale with the Gualani slug in them, but never when I try calling. They usually ship for free.

The lightfeild design looks promising, and may be one worth getting a custom mold made for if I can find a source of wad tails that lock on.

And the sauvestre-- well those are insane. You must have spent a ton!

-> And the suvestre-- well those are insane. You must have spent a ton!

Yes, and it was a metric ton too...

Right now, I only have the original smootbore barrel. I started looking into changing that; Hastings barrels, rifled chokes, modified Mossberg barrels, etc. It will be a while. In the meantime, although not ideal, I did want to see how they perform in a smoothbore... but I am not expecting any miracles.

The most eye-opening test, IMO, is the wet-pack test. It is also the most grueling because the stuff is HEAVY and awkward to use

BTW, the Gualandi's have indentations in the wad that engage the slug, and the Lightfields have dual slits that allow, under pressure, some degree of friction engagement. Or so they tell me. A high speed ballistic camera would be nice.