Seattle gun buyback

The KUOW/NPR report on the buyback this morning was great. Very satisfying. Half of the report was devoted to interviewing people who showed up to buy the guns before they made it into the SPD's hands, in some cases sparking off bidding wars.

Then they interviewed an idiot who said he was turning in a "tactical 12-gauge shotgun", who claimed to be a former police officer/security agent, who "trained with the gun but didn't need it any more. We're going to buy a new iPod with the $100! I think we need to do something about the gun culture in this country, so I am turning in my gun." Good job dude, hope your wife doesn't find out that you probably could've got upwards of a grand for your tactical shotty if it weren't for the fact that you are apparently offended by the idea of going into a gunstore or selling it to a lowly citizen.

• Like 1

Yeah I'm gonna call BS on that Stinger launcher. If there is some place where you can buy demilled Stinger tubes, clue me in. I'm not aware of any.

First of all a Stinger tube is NOT one-time use and that is a pretty serious deal to have that in your possession. It's either a plant, or whoever had it is now undergoing some questioning.

OF course the media has no idea what it is and just reports it as an RPG.

Edited by mancat
cameras dead. got a single action 22 revolver an american arms 1911 22 pistol and a glock 23 for 300$ and i was on the news at the end of the king 5 video buying a gun.

Three guns for $300? Sounds like you did very well!

yep cant wait for the next show, i mean buyback

• Like 1

Hell, this sounds better than a gun show, No Entry Fees! The Sellers don't know what they have or what it's worth! And guns are being transferred from the hands of a liberal to a more freedom loving American! :D :D :D Sounds like a giant win all the way around.

• Like 1
First of all a Stinger tube is NOT one-time use and ...

Redeye/Stinger ARE one time use shoulder fired surface to air weapons. How do I know? 74-78 I was a tanker in FRG, my secondary MOS was 16P = redeye gunner. We later upgraded to stingers. Lock on, fire and forget, toss the launcher, open another case from the back of your jeep trailer and grab another one... We only carried six due to the size of the cases.

Got it. Never touched one, but it was my understanding that they could be re-used even if they're normally tossed away.

You may be thinking of the RPG-7 made by Russia which can indeed be used multiple times. America does have reusable rockets, they just aren't nearly as available around the world due to the fact that America seldom willingly sells/gives them to others. America has indeed given away stingers to the Mujahadeen and others though at various points in history.

I do know that I've seen many launch tubes for sale in surplus shops before, mostly LAWs, but also including a stinger tube or two.

I'd love to participate in one of these, but I haven't come up with a good way to protect myself from the risk of buying a stolen firearm. Anyone know of a good way to solve this in WA?

You don't want to get arrested for possession for a stolen firearm, and I wouldn't put it past the cops to have a felon sell you a gun either.

If they think you are a bad guy, they won't have any qualms about resorting to trickery to take you down.

Good to know. Thanks TTF. I was under the impression that most WA PDs would only do that during business hours, if at all. Since the buybacks seem to be Saturday events I wasn't sure.

Sounds like the smart thing to do is put that number in your phone contacts before going to the buyback. That and make a written record of the call and response including the name of the clerk. That should bolster your side of the rebuttable presumption of ignorance if something goes wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

The mayor now says that he'll bust you if you try this at the next "buyback"

The city plans to fine or arrest people for conducting "commerce without a license." News flash McSchwinn, a private sale between two individuals is not "commerce."

http://mynorthwest.com/11/2197651/Seattle-Mayor-Mike-McGinn-No-more-sidewalk-gun-sales