Replacing FSB with ak74style

I just did mine. As far as I know, all of the Saiga 7.62x39 barrels will work with the 74 FSB. I was lucky and had an older saiga without the dimpled on FSB. I drove out the pins and pressed off the old sight base. I have an old 74 style brake that was the cheapest milsurp I could find. I screwed it onto the new Bulgarian AK 74 front sight base and then hammered directly on the brake to press it in place. I made sure it was indexed with the old FSB holes and banged the pins back in. Then all I did was swap out the brake with the newer and nicer one. You do have to make sure you bore out the 74 brake if you are going to use one for 7.62x39. The Russian spec is 10.5 mm. I used a cobalt 13/32" bit which is a hair under.

I just did this on my IZ-132. The original FSB has four dimples holding the FSB to the barrel, two on each side. Drill out the dimples but only the depth of the FSB metal slowly trying to keep watch so you don't go into the barrel. After that use a rubber mallet and hit the front sight towards the muzzle. After repeated blows it should slide and fall off. Some tutorials suggest to dremel a cut along the dimples throughout the length of each side of the FSB but you may cut into the barrel if your not careful. I don't see the need to cut the sides. Once you drill out the dimples there really isn't anything holding the FSB to the barrel. I used a Bulgarian FSB with the integrated 24mm threaded end and bayonet lug. Just place it on the barrel maybe marking the barrel and FSB top dead center to align them together when installing the FSB to the barrel. I used a rubber mallet to start while trying to keep the marks aligned and hitting what ever side to get it back aligned. Once the rubber mallet blows couldn't get it further down the barrel I used a regular hammer directly applying blows to the end of the FSB till it was flush with the barrel muzzle. If you want you can buy the pins from K-Var and drill out the new FSB after it's been installed on the barrel to drive the pins in the retaining holes. Be sure not to use too large of a drill bit.

Edited by CAGLS
  • 7 months later...