My first AK build...questions. (welding)

Why does everyone seem to want to complicate thing?

There is a raghead in Pakistan, sitting cross legged in a cave, next to an open fire, building AK's using nothing but rudimentary hand tools.

If he can do it...... Anyone with a plug outlet in thier wall can.

Nevermind. I believe i have everything I need now.

Going to just bolt the guide rails rather than weld, since a lot of people are saying that it gives me a little more of a margin for error. Though that does make me wonder if I should heat treat the guide rails before or after they are bolted in place.

My welder said he could get all the spots I need treated cherry red, and he could bend a flat I have if I mark it for him. So looks like I'm ready to go.

Thanks for all your help.

Edited by s2thalayer
Pics when your done! do a build thread! document the process for others.

I am absolutely going to do that. Already planned on making a video. When I did my first Saiga, there were so many precise videos on how to do everything, it was all made easy, and taught me a lot about the rifles.

This on the other hand, if you don't have a press or knowledge on jigs and how they work, a thread like this is the best you can do. I searched AR15.com, these forums, akfiles, google, everything for solutions, but all I found were specific issues from different people.

Since I have 3 builds, I'll likely take my time on the first and get the hang of everything. The second I will make a video about, and if I pursue a Magal on the third like I plan to do, will DEFINITELY document that.

• 4 weeks later...

Shoot, you guys are right. Rivets are not as complicated as they're made out to be. I just crushed my center support, and honestly, I just used a regular ol claw hammer without a set. Just put the rivet head down on the tool desk, and hit it like a nail. It wasn't a clean, pretty crush by any means, but it's secure. I'll shape it with a dremel, but the crushed end is on the side with the selector so you won't see it anyway. It bent going in, but i'll grind part of it off. I don't see an incredible amount of stress being put on that particular rivet, so I'm not worried. Like I said, nothing is loose. The other side of the rivet and receiver looks great.

My only real issue with the build so far was that when I used my punch drilling the holes, I bent the receiver inwards. It's all a learning experience, figured I'd make some mistakes on the first one. But, I stuck to the K.I.S.S. method since it's an ak and just used the claw from the hamer to pry it outwards, and now it's just about perfect. grinded the top rails down to .19 by hand with a dremel, worried about how that would look, but it turned out great.

Even though the rivets are simple, I had our local welder that I sub work out to often heat treat my receiver and ejector rail. After he did that, he's been excited about seeing how it turns out. He's never done anything like this before. So I mentioned the welding ideas and the concerns I have heard. His reply was "Bring that thing down here and when I'm done TIGing it, you'll be able to run it over with a train and it'll be fine for your grandkids." Told me to just make sure I drill the holes oversized...he said he'd prefer the size of the trigger pin holes, 7mm. I had heard that mentioned several times for a better surface area already, so was prepared. I'll at least try the welds on this one. If it works out well, I'll weld the other two. If not, I'll get to riveting.

I'm going to just screw the trigger guard and mag catch. Saigas use screws for the trigger guard, so why not? Neither of those areas have any real stress going on either.

I also didn't use reemers for the holes. I drilled them out with small bits and worked up to the precise sizes...then dremeled off the excess sheet metal.

So far this build is turning out beautiful, much better than I imagined it would go. I appreciate all the help you guys have offerred. Building this thing with the makeshift tools of a carpenter is looking simple. The hardest part has been drilling out the rivets, which was a bitch and ruined wayyy to many bits and sets, and since we were in the middle of a snow storm, had to drive through the mess to get new ones.

Today I will put the guide rails on and drill my trunnion holes. Looking forward to documenting all this on the next build for others lacking the propper tools.

So I've got some "middle of the build" questions.

Trunnions are both installed, turned out great. Barrel is installed.

I've got the rails clamped now. So my first question:

The rail with the round inset, not the ejector. Should the trigger pin pass through that in the dead center, or could my hole be drilled a little off? Because mine is a little off.

The only other issue, the 7mm end of the trigger pin is slightly too low, I can tell by looking down the receiver from the back...and by looking at one of my Saigas. We're talking slight, as in....maybe a 16th. Should I weld it up and redrill, or is it not a big deal being off that much?

Also, I had the holes treated, but ended up reaming one out just a bit more because the pin was too tight...does it need to be re-treated?

Thanks for any help you can give.

So I've got some "middle of the build" questions.

Trunnions are both installed, turned out great. Barrel is installed.

I've got the rails clamped now. So my first question:

The rail with the round inset, not the ejector. Should the trigger pin pass through that in the dead center, or could my hole be drilled a little off? Because mine is a little off.

The only other issue, the 7mm end of the trigger pin is slightly too low, I can tell by looking down the receiver from the back...and by looking at one of my Saigas. We're talking slight, as in....maybe a 16th. Should I weld it up and redrill, or is it not a big deal being off that much?

Also, I had the holes treated, but ended up reaming one out just a bit more because the pin was too tight...does it need to be re-treated?

Thanks for any help you can give.

as for the trigger pin, AKs have loose tolerances... does the hammer in the up position drag on the recoil spring?

as far as reaming the other hole, so long as you didn't overheat the treated area, you should be fine.