Looking to upgrade from the stock iron sights, need some input.

Hey everyone, just picked up a brand new Allied Armiments AK, and I love it! However, I feel that the stock iron sights take away from the percision, and I am looking at other options.

The question I have: What is the best and most affordable way to upgrade the precision of the AK sights?

Now, I cant say for sure what distance I was shooting at, or how tight my groopings were, but I felt that my stock iron sights just encompassed a LOT of the targets I was shooting at. (Coke cans at 75 feet or so? Give or take 25 feet I guess)

Options as I understand them:

Upgrade the rear sight to a "Peep Sight", something similar to the ones like I used on the M16, which I understand to be the most accurate style Iron Sights. Not sure this would be a large improvement though.

Buy an inexpensive reddot like the "Bushness TRS-25", which has gotten some very good reviews. I tried an Eotech on an AR15 and I was impressed by the percision of it, but online many people say that the reddot sights REDUCE the percision of a weapon over the stock Iron sights. I know that this has a lot to do with the MOA measurment also.

Get a small combat scope, something in the neighborhood of 4x magnification. Im not sure this would have enough of an advantage over the Reddot, and it would make acquiring a target more difficult compared to the "Both eyes open" style of shooting like you get with a 1x reddot.

I know I wont turn this AK into a sniper rifle, and I wouldnt want to! I just feel that there is room for improvement over the stock sights.

I know there are more things to consider, like where to mount this sight, and what type of batterys it will use. I just want to decide which dirrection to go first.

I have magpul MBUS sights on my S762. Of course I have a quad-rail up front and a beryl rail on the back and it gives me a much longer sight radius which I haven't tested as being more accurate or not but in theory longer sight radius iron sights are much more accurate.

Plus having "flip-up" sights make a red dot easier to run.

And as far as red dots go I. Highly suggest Primary Arms line of sights. They have. A lot of options and they're all very highly rated and reviewed. Mine is in the mail!

Also a flip to side, quick detatch or screw on magnifier can quickly add magnification to a red dot.

Both primary arms and vortex red dots have lots of options even including magnifiers for under $200. And they handle AK recoil well and depending on options can have up to 1000 constant "on" hours. (P.a. AA model)

And trust me... get the magnifier WITH the red dot. It makes a $70-$120 purchase turn into a $35-$50 add-on. Plus you get the magnifier MADE FOR YOUR CHOSEN OPTIC. no fitting and guess-work.

Well everyone, I have made a decision. I will be purchasing a red dot from Primary Arms. These seem to be the best bang for the buck, and have better reviews than the Bushnell TRS-25. The products seem comparable, but PA (Primary Arms) has a reputation for wonderful customer service, which holds a LOT of value to me.

I chose this one: https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_MultiReticle_Red_Dot_Sight_PAM3M_p/pam3m.htm

I think that the large circle with the 2MOA dot will be very useful.

I wish it had the option of the screw in magnifier like the vortex does! I like the idea of the flip to the side magnifiers, but they are are a bit pricey, and the savings is only about $10 for the magnifier. I think I will be holding off on this. I thought I read somewhere that the Vortex magnifier would be compatible with the PA, I will be researching this.

How far from your face do you want the red dot mounted? I have read that having it too close to your eye will make shooting with both eyes open more difficult than mounting it farther down the weapon. That said, I have also read that mounting it closer will make it more precise than mounting it farther down the weapon (Perceiving the red dot as being larger than when it is closer to your eye)

Thank you for the input!

Edited by TheJoe90

Mounting options:

-Strike Industry rear sight rail

Affordable, good reviews as to its stability, but its apparently easy to over tighten the screws. Also, incorporates an Iron Sight. Problem? Its a bit tall. I have an under-folder, so already have a chin weld at best. As a only moderately experienced shooter I am not sure how much of a determent that will be.

-Texas Weapon System Dog Leg scope mount

Not affordable, $139, plus $39 for their iron sight. I know, "Dust cover rails move around! They are terrible!" Not this one. This one mounts rock solid and does not move around at all from everything I have read. Its low, and will improve my cheek weld. This is a good option, but its expensive.

-UltiMAK M2B AK 47 Forward Optic Mount

I like this, it allows for co witnessing, but its a bit pricey, puts my optic on a very hot part of my weapon, Im not sure if I want the optic that far forward, and I dont like the idea of taking the pretty wood off my AK.

I think I am leaning towards the Strike for now.

Edited by TheJoe90