I need an SBS S12 handguard! suggestion?

So i have this shotgun witha 10" gas system and an 18" barrel, and i need a handguard. I bought a k-var rpk handguard hoping it would fit, but it didn't. I have an s12 with an old school tromix HG, so i really don't want one of those, besides, i don't think you can even get them anymore. I really wanted an MSA galil type, but i don't think dude is serious about manufacturing them, or anything else for that matter. Not into rails, but would do it as a last resort. Any idea what to do? I have several s12 factory handguards and a couple of rifle HG, but would really prefer something else.

So i have this shotgun witha 10" gas system and an 18" barrel, and i need a handguard. I bought a k-var rpk handguard hoping it would fit, but it didn't. I have an s12 with an old school tromix HG, so i really don't want one of those, besides, i don't think you can even get them anymore. I really wanted an MSA galil type, but i don't think dude is serious about manufacturing them, or anything else for that matter. Not into rails, but would do it as a last resort. Any idea what to do? I have several s12 factory handguards and a couple of rifle HG, but would really prefer something else.

(If I read this right..... I am to make a one off to a limited market at the cost of a few thousand dollars to myself? At the same time I am swamped with orders for and have other projects going.)

EC.... I've tried and there just wasn't a large enough demand for them. Everyone wanted Tacticool.... Like you I wanted the streamlined looks of the HG I designed, If I had the time and resources to blow I wouldn't mind making them. I can only invest in what shows a return at this time. Below is what we've been focusing on. Not everything is shotguns for us. Sorry man

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/83168-takd-bastard-production-photos/&do=findComment&comment=851446

Yeah, i did look at that, its also a viable option that i considered. The shotgun is getting a 100 series folder, and i would like to keep the front end kinda low profile. I've already had a couple of 'oh shit' moments with this gun, as its the most expensive gun i own at the moment (with the gas system work), so i'm really trying to buy something that's plug and play, to avoid that feeling again. I'm not going for a straight replica like sKotts's 12C, but would really like something more OEM aestetically, honestly. The gunhas HK sights, so its not going to be 100% accurate, obviously.

Edited by elvis christ
Have you looked at the Fuglystick? I bet one could be trimmed to the size you need. I think they are still available, just not sure from whom.

attachicon.gifFuglystick.jpg

Those are made by Jaymce if I got the name right. He has done quite a few one offs to peoples design specs.

A little more work on it tonight.

IMAG0143.jpg

IMAG0142.jpg

I think i'm going to smooth out the checkers.

Use a soldering iron with the cutting blade on the low temp setting, and clean first with alcohol. Just like spreading butter in slow motion.

I think that would look very good with an AK 74 type poly handguard chopped about the same way you did with the OEM.

I've got some bondo fiber laying around that i'm thinking about using to fill in the checkers. Thoughts?

I've got to go back and look at your thread with that gun and figure out how to shape the edges like you or gunfun did

I think bondo will flake off. That's why I said to smooth it out with heat. Do a quick search on stipling and plastic welding.

If you want smooth or pebbled texture either is easy to do with a soldering iron. Just get it very clean with alcohol first, keep the temp low and rub the heat in. A heat gun will help to keep the area evenly heated too.

I don't understand why evl said to give me the credit for that one, but thanks I guess. His handguard is a cut down saiga rifle handguard. If you like that, put a post in the WTB section, and you should be able to get one for $5-10 plus shipping. Perhaps he cleaned the edges with a soldering iron or hot knife. For something like that, I would cut it with a bandsaw, then roll it on a belt sander to get the lines smooth. Then rubbing a hot iron on the edge to "seal up" the edge. To my eye the upper front corner would look even better if it were radiused to mirror the curve at the back of the handguard where the contour starts. If that makes sense.