Ultimak for Saiga 7.62

Yes... I did a search and no I didn't find the info I needed.

I am helping my buddy out with his 7.62 Saiga. He bought a M1B it is to short. When locked into the Rear Sight block it is approx. 1/4 short on the gas block.

Before you say it will work... I know it will, it just looks like crap not to mention, I don't want him to take any shrapnel or excess gas from the gap.

Should he have gotten the ULTIMAK M3-B for Veprs ? Or??

Thanks

Before you say it will work... I know it will, it just looks like crap not to mention, I don't want him to take any shrapnel or excess gas from the gap.

It will work fine, as you know. Once the piston is out of the gas block it has enough momentum to keep going. The 'gas tube' is really just a piston guide so the piston locks into the block ok.

Try shooting it. If he is getting too much gas out the back, you can always drill some holes in the sides like on the M2B to divert some of the gas. This may also lessen recoil slightly, though based on where Ultimak places them I wonder if it increases time back on target. They should almost be angled upward, at about 11- and 1-o'clock, so the gas pushes the rifle down and back on target, like an integral compensator.

I suspect the Vepr Ultimak is the same length. The only difference is, the Vepr has the thicker barrel, so the Vepr Ultimak probably has bigger 'straps' holding it to the barrel. I would imagine those could be too big for a standard AKM barrel.

Edited by mostholycerebus
  • Like 1