Bumpski on a vepr-12

Thanks for info but just found out according to my country's laws "Any part that makes a firearm capable of fully automatic fire (is prohibited)", and I highly doubt I will be able to get one into the country even though Im fully licensed to own one and its completely legal because of the prohibited weapons act of 1996 "Any weapon that has a military appearance (is prohibited)".

Austria I presume! Howdy! It may require shaving material off the sides (.5 mm on each side) of the bumpski receiver block since they have one that is for the saiga already.

Australia

Thanks for info but just found out according to my country's laws "Any part that makes a firearm capable of fully automatic fire (is prohibited)", and I highly doubt I will be able to get one into the country even though Im fully licensed to own one and its completely legal because of the prohibited weapons act of 1996 "Any weapon that has a military appearance (is prohibited)".

Austria I presume! Howdy! It may require shaving material off the sides (.5 mm on each side) of the bumpski receiver block since they have one that is for the saiga already.

Australia

That stock in no way makes a firearm capable of fully automatic fire. Every round fired is activated by a trigger press from your finger. Read the approval letters on the left side of the site.

Australia

That stock in no way makes a firearm capable of fully automatic fire. Every round fired is activated by a trigger press from your finger. Read the approval letters on the left side of the site.

Laws in Australia are very different, they would come around and try and arrest me for ordering it. Because some genius would say "It's a telescopic stock, arrest him!" or something along those lines.

That sucks. Almost all of your country is rural, where people must use firearms regularly. It is a shame to see how a few hysterical people from cities can ruin everything for a whole country.

Good luck. Turn the public opinion.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

When you do the video, have the camera behind you at a bit of an angle so we can see what (or whether you hit) Don't make the million and first video of 90* to the side from 5' away. have some boxes or milk jugs or something to show how well you can control it.

That's a good suggestion, but keep in mind that the spreader choke I have on there creates a 6 foot-wide pattern at a range of 12 yards--that's about 567.7 MOA.  If I can't fight the muzzle rise, though, that should be pretty easy to see.

Hey Kurt,

I would like to hear more about this spreader choke, how do you like it and were can I find one?

That's a good suggestion, but keep in mind that the spreader choke I have on there creates a 6 foot-wide pattern at a range of 12 yards--that's about 567.7 MOA.  If I can't fight the muzzle rise, though, that should be pretty easy to see.

My point is largely that other similar designs got similar patterns but the shape of the pattern varied a lot from shell to shell, and there tended to be gaps in the pattern.  a 6 foot wide pattern is useless if only one or two pellets are in the two feet occupied by your attacker. I think most of us can aim better than that, and I would choose 22-27 pellets center mass over 1-4 pellets centermass, and 20+ strays. Even their promo video, which surely cherry picked during editing shows one of the plates near the middle of the rack barely fall. That probably was only one pellet. One pellet in the middle of where there could have been dozens.

So if you use that choke, you will need to do a lot of patterning to know what to expect of it. I would not just take the manufacturer's word for it. I also think you will get more dramatic varations from one brand of buckshot to the next than with a more conventional choke. You will also have a lot of handicaps in an HD situation trying to find a clean shot that doesn't endanger non threats. For some competitions it could be useful though.

Hey Kurt,

I would like to hear more about this spreader choke, how do you like it and were can I find one?

Haven't had a chance to try it yet, and it will probably be a while,  Health and logistics are likely to keep me away from the range for the immediate future.  You can find the Paradign SRP Gator spreader choke here.

My point is largely that other similar designs got similar patterns but the shape of the pattern varied a lot from shell to shell, and there tended to be gaps in the pattern.  a 6 foot wide pattern is useless if only one or two pellets are in the two feet occupied by your attacker. I think most of us can aim better than that, and I would choose 22-27 pellets center mass over 1-4 pellets centermass, and 20+ strays. Even their promo video, which surely cherry picked during editing shows one of the plates near the middle of the rack barely fall. That probably was only one pellet. One pellet in the middle of where there could have been dozens.

So if you use that choke, you will need to do a lot of patterning to know what to expect of it. I would not just take the manufacturer's word for it. I also think you will get more dramatic varations from one brand of buckshot to the next than with a more conventional choke. You will also have a lot of handicaps in an HD situation trying to find a clean shot that doesn't endanger non threats. For some competitions it could be useful though.

Your points are well taken, GunFun--I may very well end up disappointed in it.  I'll just have to see.

It would be fun to have just for novelty's sake. I think I would prefer one that kept the same narrow vertical spread but was more like 3-4' horizontal.

If recall correctly they experimented with them in Vietnam or Korea for clearing bunkers and tunnels, but they did not stick with them. It would be a neat trick to clear a whole plate rack with two shots at a competition, but I think that would last about one event before they threw slugs on the same stage to negate the advantage.

It must feel a bit like using the shotgun in Doom.

It would be fun to have just for novelty's sake. I think I would prefer one that kept the same narrow vertical spread but was more like 3-4' horizontal.

If recall correctly they experimented with them in Vietnam or Korea for clearing bunkers and tunnels, but they did not stick with them. It would be a neat trick to clear a whole plate rack with two shots at a competition, but I think that would last about one event before they threw slugs on the same stage to negate the advantage.

It must feel a bit like using the shotgun in Doom.

Paradigm claims the design is based on the "duckbill" choke, used by SEALs in Vietnam:

Paradigm SRP’s GATOR is a modern version of the Duckbill shotgun spreader that was used in Vietnam by the US Navy SEALs. The original Duckbill spreader proved to be extremely effective and deadly in close quarter combat environments.   Although very effective, the Duckbill spreader did have a propensity to fracture after extensive use. Paradigm SRP has overcome the Duckbill’s original issues by totally re-engineering, yet still keeping its combat effectiveness.

I'm not vouching for that claim--haven't researched it.