Suddenly Having Problems With Firing My 308?

I searched and couldn't find anything helpful but I'm suddenly encountering an issue with my .308 Saiga. It will fire a good 50 to 100 rounds...then it starts to act up and stops firing. Its loading correctly there is a new bullet in the chamber when this happens so there's not a jam occurring in the chamber. Its like the fire pin doesn't engage or something? It will hit and miss fire from there without problems. Sometimes it'll just run through 25 round clip no problems...and then sometimes it will fire..mess up...I'll fix it and then it will happen again. There's no consistancy to the problem really. Is there a known problem like what I'm experiencing with my 308?

Dirty fire pin channel? Maybe dirty spring? Is there an indent on the primer where the firing pin hits? How do you"fix" the issue and then it re occurs? Im guessing light primer strike. Check the hammer and sping. Maybe crud is building up not allowing a hard enough strike

Are the primers of the rounds that don't fire getting hit at all? When the rifle does not fire is the bolt all the way forward? Is this happening with just one batch of ammo? Remove the dust cover and the bolt carrier group and look down at the hammer. Is it sitting straight and is the hammer pin all the way into the receiver? Are both ends of the hammer spring sitting pretty on the hammer? Remove the bolt and push on the back of the firing pin. Does it move smooth without hanging up?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I've had the exact same thing happen. Fire, bolt loads a new round, but doesn't go back far enough to reset the trigger fully. Trigger is locked. For me the issue was grime; I hadn't cleaned the gun for ~500 rounds. Some judicious use of hoppes #9 and remington gun oil fixed the issue.