Why are we using the term weapon here

weap·on

/ˈwepən/

Noun
  1. A thing designed or used for inflicting bodily harm or physical damage.
  2. A means of gaining an advantage or defending oneself in a conflict or contest: "resignation threats are a weapon in his armory".

None of my fire arms are considered weapons by any definition. and I feel that using the term weapon in this fashion just feeds to the Nazi gun haters.

I dont, I use "Firearm", I dont use "gun" eather.

A firearm is a weapon that launches one projectile or more at high velocity through the confined burning of a propellant

A gun is a weapon designed to discharge a projectile. The projectile may be solid, liquid, gas or energy and may be free, as with bullets and artillery shells, or captive as with Taser probes and whaling harpoons.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington

Sorry, mine are weapons.

• Like 6
weap·on
/ˈwepən/

Noun
  2. A means of gaining an advantage or defending oneself in a conflict or contest: "resignation threats are a weapon in his armory".

None of my fire arms are considered weapons by any definition. and I feel that using the term weapon in this fashion just feeds to the Nazi gun haters.

If none of your firearms are considered weapons then you might want to rethink your home/self defense plans.

if you don't like your guns being called or considered weapons... that's fine. Go pack up your over/under shotguns and check in with the rest of the Fudds at the skeet range. The rest of us adults aren't afraid of weapons, having weapons, using weapons, seeing weapons, or saying the word, weapon. Weapons don't matter... its the heart of the man or woman that uses it.

• Like 4

I understand respect and follow all of your comments... But unless you have used your firearm to intimidate harm or otherwise viciously damage property then your firearm is yet to be a weapon.( and we can fight the " " weapons termonology / assault definitions ) If you primarily shoot targets for fun enjoyment family time/hunting ect ect ect then it should not be referred to as a weapon. and be considered a fire arm

weap·on
/ˈwepən/

Noun

Kinda answered your own question there, didn't you?

weap·on
/ˈwepən/

Noun

How about Teddy-guns"? Pink flufffy clouds? Parkerized Unicorns? Perhaps just "W''s"?

It is what it is. No need to be bashful about it. A "weapon" is a tool for offense and defense. To do good or bad with.

It's an inanimate object until it's in someones hands who intends to do one or the other with it.

Weapon is a term I am comfortable with.

• Like 1

a rose is still a rose by any other name..

I think "gun" is slang and shows lack of knowledge of the subject. I call it firearm or weapon, or refer to its 'tool' name - pistol, rifle, shotgun.

It is a tool, there are bad carpenters that don't deserve to swing a hammer. All we can do is let our work speak for our skill and intentions.

"This is my rifle, this is my gun"

"This one is for killin', this one is for fun"

"This is my rifle, this is my gun"

"This one is for killin', this one is for fun"

i have several very sharp swords. they have never killed anybody. nor have they hurt anybody (aside from myself wink.png ) and yet i dont call them "decorations" they are still weapons.

on a side note i personaly feel knives are more dangerous than guns. i have personally cut myself several times. and yet i have not once had an injury with a fiream. maybe theyll try and ban all the sharp and pointies next. 010.gif

I can fully appreciate what the OP is driving at. But of course for him to blatantly state, "None of my firearms are considered weapons by any definition". . . well, that's a load of bunk. Noneless, striving to reduce if not almost entirely eliminating the term "weapon" from one's personal vocabulary when discussing firearms, is admirable AND prudent, specifically when speaking to an anti-gun nutbag.

Just say'n. wink.png

• Like 3

If the founding fathers wrote we had the right to keep and bear weapons, then that's what I'd call them. Well, that's not what they wrote. I call mine "firearms". Hell, a hammer is always a tool and, depending on what you do with it, it may become a weapon. When I am punching paper, my firearms are clearly not weapns. If a local scumbag tries to jump me when I'm carrying,then he's gonna be introduced to my weapon.

• 2 weeks later...

weap·on

/ˈwepən/

Noun

• A thing designed or used for inflicting bodily harm or physical damage.

• A means of gaining an advantage or defending oneself in a conflict or contest: "resignation threats are a weapon in his armory".

If none of your firearms are considered weapons then you might want to rethink your home/self defense plans.

if you don't like your guns being called or considered weapons... that's fine. Go pack up your over/under shotguns and check in with the rest of the Fudds at the skeet range. The rest of us adults aren't afraid of weapons, having weapons, using weapons, seeing weapons, or saying the word, weapon. Weapons don't matter... its the heart of the man or woman that uses it.

The problem here is running scared, trying to avoid conflict, and perversions of political correctness. In the end you have a firearm, a gun, and a weapon. Don't crap on yourself and try to avoid these bullies who stand on the bodies of the unfortunate dead. Stand up, let them know you will not bullied, and let them know that they cannot take your god given rit to self defense.

As a counter, when were they scared of anything? Did they worry about your rights? Did they even care about the dead and unfortunate retards made by others? No, they are just chattle to throw at you,and make you feel guilty. Kick them in the balls, but always be polite and logical and composed, because heres the dirty little secret about the gun grabbers, they are scared of everything, and scared people always show their irrational behavior under pressure. If you show no fear, turn back their lies and point out their failed logic, they will fall.

• 4 months later...

I think what the OP is saying is that the term weapon is a term the lefty gun grabbers in government use to put a bit of a spin on the whole argument. If they used the term firearm, it might imply that it could be used for something other than killing.

like firing arms? a high speed arm launcher so to speak?

I think what the OP is saying is that the term weapon is a term the lefty gun grabbers in government use to put a bit of a spin on the whole argument. If they used the term firearm, it might imply that it could be used for something other than killing.

Ahh a use for all those zombie carcasses.....or should I say bodies?

Ahh a use for all those zombie carcasses.....or should I say bodies?

ill market it as a "PLAGUE LAUNCHER" 023.gifhorror.gif010.gif022.gif

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

weap·on  

/ˈwepən/

Noun

• A means of gaining an advantage or defending oneself in a conflict or contest: "resignation threats are a weapon in his armory".

if you don't like your guns being called or considered weapons... that's fine.  Go pack up your over/under shotguns and check in with the rest of the Fudds at the skeet range.  The rest of us adults aren't afraid of weapons, having weapons, using weapons, seeing weapons, or saying the word, weapon.  Weapons don't matter... its the heart of the man or woman that uses it.

The problem here is running scared, trying to avoid conflict, and perversions of political correctness. In the end you have a firearm, a gun, and a weapon. Don't crap on yourself and try to avoid these bullies who stand on the bodies of the unfortunate dead. Stand up, let them know you will not bullied, and let them know that they cannot take your god given rit to self defense.

As a counter, when were they scared of anything? Did they worry about your rights? Did they even care about the dead and unfortunate retards made by others? No, they are just chattle to throw at you,and make you feel guilty. Kick them in the balls, but always be polite and logical and composed, because heres the dirty little secret about the gun grabbers, they are scared of everything, and scared people always show their irrational behavior under pressure. If you show no fear, turn back their lies and point out their failed logic, they will fall.

I would add that not only are they scared of everything, but this includes most importantly their fear of their own violent nature.  In trying to demonize those who use firearms, they mask the fact that they themselves are prone to violence and would likely lash out if given the chance.  I have found libtards to be those most willing to demean, degrade and vehemently express the desire to harm others on the whim of emotion.

I believe that words are just that, words (don't gimme PC bullshit), but when we communicate with others who aren't familiar and we're trying to educate them, it helps to use certain terminology.  Sometimes I think there is no hope for those who choose to stay brainwashed, but it only gives firearms owners a more respectable image if I am polite, clear and concise. 

I do prefer the term firearm, but I'm not about to tell someone what they should or should not call their trusty tool, gun, or weapon of choice. 

weap·on  

/ˈwepən/

Noun

a weapon is exactly what my guns are. I don't own any hunting rifles so ask of a weapons are designed to kill. What other use flea a Glock 27 or 19 have? Hammer?

In order to appease our more sensitive, politically correct members, I will henceforth cease to call any firearm a weapon. Instead, I will call it a lifesaving device.

A hammer I will refer to as a blunt force trauma kit.

A knife will be known as a tissue separation device.

All pens and pencils will be called Glocks.

• Like 1

I could care less. The country should understand the gun is a tool different tools server different purposes. But they are all weapons some kill different animals and some are made only to kill people it's the bad people that are supposed to be killed. But just like any tool it can be used wrong.

I feel that using the term weapon in this fashion just feeds to the  gun haters. 

you can call them unicorns and it still won't change the fact that "gun haters" will still be "gun haters".

you  have way too much time on your  hands to come up with nick-picking a definition, find a hobby to occupy yourself with

• Like 1

Assuming the OP's definition is accurate, you will be hard-pressed to find a gun that does not fit definition (1). One emphasis of this prong is its design to inflict damage, not just its use or it's intended use. My wife uses the end of a butter knife or the handle of a screwdriver as a hammer, but it makes neither a hammer. I could use a gun as a doorstop, but that does not change what it is and what it was designed to do. Guns were designed to destroy, plain and simple - be it an animal, a vehicle, a person, or a paper target. I think any argument to the contrary makes a gun owner look naive. Do not fight bullshit with bullshit.