Dust Cover identification

I dropped my Saiga12 off at a local shop to get worked on (trigger)

I or they lost my dust cover. I bought a used one from a member here.

Just tried it on, seems short. and my chaos trail cover does not go down over the top of it.

Question is: are there many different types of dust covers for the saiga12? if so can someone point me into the right direction

in what version i need, or even better.. anyone have one for sale? sad.png

20130123_144723.jpg

I'm not aware of a change in dustcover length myself although the newest may be different. You sure something isn't pushing/holding it to the rear too far? If you can find another local owner you could compare it up to his.

Edited by TacticoolTim
I'm not aware of a change in dustcover length myself although the newest may be different. You sure something isn't pushing/holding it to the rear too far? If you can find another local owner you could compare it up to his.

I would double check this. Take out your recoil spring assembly and bolt and try the dust cover then.

Cameron Hadley from Chaos would be worth talking to. I know that Cobra762 has modified other AK dust covers to work. Some are narrower in the hump for the upper portion of the BCG. All need the ejection window enlarged.

ok, i don't mind modifying the dustcover to make this chaos work. I just didn't want to start hacking up this dust cover when it already seems to be too short for this saiga12.

Again just to make things clear. My original dust cover got lost. The one in the photo is a replacement i bought used from a member on this forum.

Unfortunately i live in a super small town, i don't think there are any other saiga12 owners here...

OK then. If you want to compare, I took mine off and measured it. I flipped the cover over and hooked the tape over the rear bottom edge. It then went at a downward angle to the front top edge. I came up with 9 and 13/32nds inches. These things are a bit awkward to measure due to the asymmetrical shape but as long as you measure exactly like I did, it shouldn't matter. Your measurement shouldn't vary more than 1/32nd or so from mine. Hope that helps.

Also, you said you got it from a forum member. You could ask if it fit well and confirm that it hadn't been altered.

That's all I've got.

Tim

I bought a couple of regular "ribbed" AK dust covers. I modified one to fit my S-12. Had to cut the ejection port open. Had to re-dimple the front holding tang. Had to put it in a vise with the vise jaws on backwards to "open" it up. Had to pound on it like you wouldn't believe - these things are , for lack of a better word, springy. I wailed on it like I was beating a dead horse. Came out beautiful and didn't even mar the paint. I will mod the other one soon. Pics at (check on the "weapons" link).

http://S158.photobucket.com/albums/t90/broncobra/

Edited by coronet

The dust cover came from me and was off a 2000 saiga 12

Thats a good idea, to have members accuratly measure their dust cover length to see how it is compared to yours.

i honestly cant imagine the dimensions of an older newer dust cover being significantly longer then a 2000 model

Dont cut it up, there is a solution.

To get true measurements, I would suggest not hooking a tape. start the tape on a solid number, then measure.

Edited by red_cedar

+1 Put it on a flat surface butted up to a 90* block and put a square on it. That will get you good dimensions. A picture of measuring it would help other to see where your dimensions come from.

I dropped my Saiga12 off at a local shop to get worked on (trigger)

I or they lost my dust cover. I bought a used one from a member here.

Just tried it on, seems short. and my chaos trail cover does not go down over the top of it.

Question is: are there many different types of dust covers for the saiga12? if so can someone point me into the right direction

in what version i need, or even better.. anyone have one for sale? sad.png

20130123_144723.jpg

it looks like the front of the dustcover does not slide into the slot, but rather is resting on top. one can see the dustcover slightly lifted/ angled towards the front.