Hey guys just wondering what kind of accuracy everyone is working with out there. With my saiga/ak 7.62x39 I can usually shoot about a 2.5 to 3 inch group at 100 yards. On a good day I can do this standing but I use a sling to stabalize. What about you?

P.S. Ive got some cool pictures I would like to post but I'm not sure how now days..maybe its my browser but I used to be able to hit the "browse" button, add the file, then click the "Attatch Files" button...the attatch files button is not clickable..anyone know?

2" was pretty standard for my M-series with Golden Tiger. Probably better if I wasnt running shit surplus ammo.

But shit surplus ammo is good enough for this round, currently. Its only effective out to maybe 300 yards before you have to compensate for serious dropoff, so 2MOA works for me. Maybe someday ill get some Lapua, throw on the weaver 10x50, and see what it can do at 500.

If you're regularly shooting 2 inch groups @ 100 yard, standing, open sights with any rifle... you're a lot better shooter than I am or 99% of the rest of us... My standard rule on the internet is to post pics of your 5-10 shot groups... don't tell use about that 3 shot group with the flyer you can shoot every once in awhile. The front sight, itself of any AK covers more than 2 inches at 100 yards and is probably closer to 4 inches... that's why I'm always skeptical of such 'groupings'.

Edited by Risky

No, that was in a lead sled on a bench, irons, taking my time. What kind of gauge of rifle accuracy can you get while standing? That's ridiculous, too many variables. Also, that was my dad shooting. He's 58 and needs bifocals to see both sights, but he still shoots better than anyone I know. I tend to jerk the trigger if I'm not thinking about it.

was this thread about accuracy of the rifle or the shooter?

Edited by mostholycerebus
If you're regularly shooting 2 inch groups @ 100 yard, standing, open sights with any rifle... you're a lot better shooter than I am or 99% of the rest of us... My standard rule on the internet is to post pics of your 5-10 shot groups... don't tell use about that 3 shot group with the flyer you can shoot every once in awhile. The front sight, itself of any AK covers more than 2 inches at 100 yards and is probably closer to 4 inches... that's why I'm always skeptical of such 'groupings'.

i agree with you definatly. I am shooting this weekend and I will take pictures for sure..haha ill probobly blow chunks big time because i will be tryin harder. well see though.

No, that was in a lead sled on a bench, irons, taking my time. What kind of gauge of rifle accuracy can you get while standing? That's ridiculous, too many variables. Also, that was my dad shooting. He's 58 and needs bifocals to see both sights, but he still shoots better than anyone I know. I tend to jerk the trigger if I'm not thinking about it.

was this thread about accuracy of the rifle or the shooter?

I wasn't directing that at anyone specifically.

I have no idea how to really measure this but this is what I got with a consistent wind at 100 yards and crouching. The goal was to get it final sighted in but there was a steady pretty strong wind upsetting the process. Unfortunately the wind started gusting shortly after arrival so I changed targets. That one is funnier with some wild shots from the 40mph gusts =/ I won't be shooting again for a while as I cannot afford what little ammo I can find. Hopefully the panic buying will slow down. Tulammo Hp with cold barrel.

One of the documents that came with it was a sheet of paper with stuff filled in saying 4 inch at 100 yards.

The measuring tape is included as a reference. The end of it curls up a bit.

1ep3k5.jpg

Edited by Tool_of_Society

I can get quite decent groups out of mine. the biggest problem i have now is a crappy scope mount. The pic below shows the day i figured out it was the mount:

post-32465-0-55676100-1359124438_thumb.jpg

The stringy 5 rounds were with the scope mount not secured properly, and that nice tight group in the middle was after I re-adjusted the mount. the bloody thing gets loose after a couple of shots and moves around.

the rifle itself is a 20 inch saiga in 7.62 x 39. I have a redfield 3 to 9 scope sitting on top of it held in place (badly) by a leapers side mount.

I think the rifle is accurate (more accurate than I am at any rate), but the weak link in this chain for me is the scope mount. I reckon that if you get good, reliable, solid gear and practice a lot, you can get really good groups with it.

I have the Mid west industries side mount for AK's, I have a "Kaspa " Weaver on it and it holds zero even after taking off the mount to clean the gun and re-attaching it,a bit pricey for 109.00 but the UTG's I tried kept losing zero and loosening up, and no one would buy them for 20 bucks afterwards so i gave them away and the guys that took them threw them away in frustration afterwards.loaded up the PPU 124 FMJ on a sled and at 100yrds( no targets to show, sorry) but with the decent brass ammo and the sled on a bench we were getting 1.5- 1.75 with 3 and 5 round groups. I cant complain, I dont normally shoot brass thru it due to the price,but it is what we use to really get the scope dialed in.One cant ever complain about the accuracy of these great rifles, they will get the job done effectively,and with out any malfunctions.022.gif

My saiga 7.62 ak conversion surprised me how well it shot. 3" at 100 yds, standing, on sling, calm days. Matches up to my shooting with ar-15, the ar being maybe 2.75, maybe. I might just be wishing, and i never bother to measure that close. I can hit a head at100yds, good enough for me.

Presently the convert is in my avatar.

I have the Mid west industries side mount for AK's, I have a "Kaspa " Weaver on it and it holds zero even after taking off the mount to clean the gun and re-attaching it,a bit pricey for 109.00 but the UTG's I tried kept losing zero and loosening up, and no one would buy them for 20 bucks afterwards so i gave them away and the guys that took them threw them away in frustration afterwards.loaded up the PPU 124 FMJ on a sled and at 100yrds( no targets to show, sorry) but with the decent brass ammo and the sled on a bench we were getting 1.5- 1.75 with 3 and 5 round groups. I cant complain, I dont normally shoot brass thru it due to the price,but it is what we use to really get the scope dialed in.One cant ever complain about the accuracy of these great rifles, they will get the job done effectively,and with out any malfunctions.022.gif

Haven't shot my rifle yet, but will spend the time to properly break the barrel in correctly. It might help with accuracy afterwards. Didn't buy this rifle to cut holes at 300 yds, bought it to put lead on target @ 100yds w/o any malfunctions all day long, if need be.

Thanks for the lead on the side-mount, haven't decided what direction to go with optics tho, looking to upgrade the iron sights first.

Haven't shot my rifle yet, but will spend the time to properly break the barrel in correctly. It might help with accuracy afterwards. Didn't buy this rifle to cut holes at 300 yds, bought it to put lead on target @ 100yds w/o any malfunctions all day long, if need be.

Thanks for the lead on the side-mount, haven't decided what direction to go with optics tho, looking to upgrade the iron sights first.

The only proper way I've heard is shoot lots of bullets... What are you talking about?

• Like 1

This was mine at 100 yds offhand(no sling or foregrip), bad day with the floater on my right eye, 2 20 rounders dumped as fast as I could rock. Paper plate is 6", with a backer of 16"x28"(torso sized target so the FUDDs don't freak when I shoot B27 targets). This was after installing a RPK rear sight.

DSCF0330.jpg

Barrel was too hot to handle when I was done. I lost my scoped target, but 3" was average on a cold barrel. If the barrel was hot, groups opened up to 6" at times. Another guy at the range told me that the barrel whip gets worse with hot barrels.

Yes, I know the AR sighs are out of adjustment. My oldest cranked the front post and didn't tell me. bad_egg.gif

The only proper way I've heard is shoot lots of bullets... What are you talking about?

Well, the topic is accuracy right....? Barrel break in is important on any rifle. Google/youtube AR-15 or any rifle barrel break-in. Is there such a thing with the standard AK with the chrome lined barrel...??? Or do you just attach a 75rd drum to your new saiga and hold it over your head and dump hardball. Shooting lots of bullets with no goal seems useless and a waste of ammo. Back to my point, barrel break in is important to any rifle, the goal of shooting a rifle is putting lead on target. If a barrel isn't properly broke in you will have a hard time reaching that goal. Maybe with an AK the point is moot, but with any other rifle you better read manual and do some research.