This is one of the coolest projects we've done yet. Multnoma county hired us to do this move.

It's not heaviest thing we've moved but one of the more complicated.

I dig my job.

How do you go about the struggle for legal tender?

http://www.blueoregon.com/2013/01/watch-sellwood-bridge-move-video/

• Like 5
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i work for the batf collecting intel. on social networking sites.

I don't do anything important anymore, but I used work for American Airlines (Eagle). When I was 24, I was Director of Materials and ran the west coast purchasing and spare parts operation with a 50

Me? I'm embarking on a new mission as of today actually.... Gunsmith and designer at a local gun shop, doing the best Saiga conversions and custom tuned / built AKs in my whole state. OOorah!

Posted Images

Me? I'm embarking on a new mission as of today actually.... Gunsmith and designer at a local gun shop, doing the best Saiga conversions and custom tuned / built AKs in my whole state. OOorah! 000.gif

• Like 9
Just watched the bridge move video. AWESOME! That's a shitload to get done in a day!

The day of the move is the glory day. The real work is all off camera.

We moved the old bridge over onto temporary piers so they can build a new one beside it then demolish the old one.

We moved it Saturday and they opened it for traffic today.

• Like 1

I don't do anything important anymore, but I used work for American Airlines (Eagle). When I was 24, I was Director of Materials and ran the west coast purchasing and spare parts operation with a 50 man crew in three cities on a 24/7 shift. We supported 50 aircraft running around California. My crews were in Los Angeles, San Francisco, and San Luis Obispo.

Later (age 26) I worked for Fairchild Aircraft and did the same thing, but we had 100 aircraft flying in 12 countries.

My last job was for an Aerospace firm (Director of Operations) making aircraft windows where I got fired for doing gun business on company time. Boohoo.

Tony

• Like 10
Small business IT consultant.

NOT a Geek Squad guy. smile.png

Same, but consultant is one of my many hats. Your small biz, so I know you probably wear your fair share too.

I do mostly in-shop work like solder work, cleanups, builds, and server assemblies. Every now and then they trick me into punching down telco lines.

We had a former Geek Squad guy on our team. Had to rat him out to the boss for using their weak-ass tools from a stolen Geeksquad flash drive to fix problems that he couldn't begin to understand on his own. Had to spend all day checking his shoddy work, until I had to insist he be let go.

Edited by slippingaway
  • Like 1

>>Every now and then they trick me into punching down telco lines.

Yep, I've done plenty of that too. I hate wiring though, and it always pissed me off when people expected me to know all of the latest IT stuff, servers, routers, phones, viruses, complex network or software issues, etc. and then throw out "Oh by the way, can you get up on a ladder and pull a run of cable through the ceiling tiles?" And I say, "No. I'm not an electrician, I don't do wiring. We have a sub-contractor for wiring."

Do businesses call electricians to have them wire up a new breaker panel in the warehouse and then ask them, "Hey, I have a reverse DNS problem with the email server, can you fix that too?" what.gif

haha.gif

Edited by Spartacus
  • Like 1
>>Every now and then they trick me into punching down telco lines.

Do businesses call electricians to have them wire up a new breaker panel in the warehouse and then ask them, "Hey, I have a reverse DNS problem with the email server, can you fix that too?" what.gif

Lol. I wish I could say no sometimes to the wiring, but my boss would kill me. Unless it has to be wired into a breaker, we will do it. I don't mind too much. We'll pull the cable, we'll wire up mag locks for doors, whatever the customer wants, provided they realize it's out of the scope of our expertise so it might take us more time than calling the right person the first time.

I'd much rather be configuring a Sonicwall/Untangle or setting up a VM, personally... but my boss has a policy, that if someone is willing to pay our rate, we'll dig ditches if they ask us to.

I get to climb a couple towers as soon as we hit above 60 outside to run a new 3 mile Wireless N link. That'll be fun! Just as soon as I get over my vertigo.

Edited by slippingaway
  • Like 2

>>but my boss has a policy, that if someone is willing to pay our rate, we'll dig ditches if they ask us to.

I've worked for guys like that too, and it doesn't last long for me. :)

Bad policy for a couple of reasons. Not fair to employees for one thing, but also opens up the IT business to liability for doing jobs they have no expertise in. The boss will rethink this policy when something goes wrong and he gets sued. His insurance will not cover liability on things that are "out of scope".

Tell your boss to find a good sub-contractor for wiring jobs and offer to send them business for a taste of whatever they make on business you send their way. That way you still make cash for "doing nothing", no overhead on the wiring jobs. In return, you also get IT leads from the sub-contractor when they are doing network wiring and the client needs IT work. This works extremely well to cooperate with another related business in this way.

When I started working for the business I'm with now, the boss (nice woman) also had the "do anything" mentality, but I suggested the sub-contracting on the wiring and it's been working out very well. We still make money on wiring jobs, and we've had a lot of referral biz from the wiring guys.

In fact, I'm doing a call for our wiring guys in the morning doing software upgrades at a police dept. We would never have had that work without the agreement we have with them.

I work on ship-based IT and electronics, including sat comms, navigation equipment, automation equipment, and shipboard IT equipment. Usually I work on container ships, oil tankers, tugs, and so on, but I do some occasional small craft work. A few weeks ago I did some work on a yacht owned by the Hilton family.

Back in the day, the equivalent of my job would've been the ship's radio officer. Most commercial lines kicked radio officers off in the late 90s when most of their function was replaced with automated systems. Joke's on you guys, you still need someone to come on board and fix all of this "automated" shit when it stops working.

I get to go to sea every once in a while, get a lot of great food on foreign-flagged ships, and sometimes a lot of frustration with foreign crew. I'm pretty sure I ate fried cat once on a Chinese ship I was on.

Used to do generic IT shit, still sometimes do, but I can't stand offices.

• Like 1

I repair machine tools and controls, lathes ,milling machines, surface grinders, and saws ( I hate F ing saws). I run my motorcycle parts business on the side making billet aluminum parts mostly for Harleys.

• Like 1

Previous life was Supervisor of the Quality Dept in a large industrial drive manufacturing company.....made a few trips to Ras Laffan Industrial City and a few to Brazil overseeing quality operations......Then some dumbfuck manager from another plant showed up and within a few days.....Laid off

Went to school to be a nurse and here I am contiplating starting up a side business making Obama targets............

• Like 2

i used to build custom homes, now i build commercial airplanes or Boeing.

i worked on the 747-4, 747-8, 747-8I, 777-200, 777-300 both freighters and passenger planes

I'm also my shops Union Steward for IAM 751 local A

Edited by Salt
  • Like 3